Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3228 3229 [3230] 3231 3232 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3582469 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #48435 on: May 25, 2022, 01:48:43 pm »

Propaganda is alive and well.

Then again, teaching people how to resist it just means they’ll resist your propaganda, so never mind about that critical thinking nonsense.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48436 on: May 25, 2022, 02:00:22 pm »

Well, my gun nut friends lament that these school shooting are generally wielded by the Democrats to outlaw firearms, like some object is responsible rather than the kid or more importantly the parent(s).

So yeah, both sides engage in rhetoric, propaganda, etc.

I actually had no intention of even posting the above, but I'm sick of "Only Republicans Lie".  I'm reminded of Dr. House's saying: "Everyone Lies". Frankly, the only difference is that the Democrats are better at it.

Blaming something else means you don't have to blame the parent(s).  I am sure that is of great comfort to many people, unfortunately.

EDIT: The biggest problem in these School Shooting cases is that the problems with the parents aren't usually revealed until several weeks after the shootings occur.
By which time, the media has moved on to something else. My apologies for not mentioning the Mental health crisis.  Relevant quote below:

“We’ve talked for years about mental health facilities nearby… we don’t have anything,'' he said. "This child was probably suffering from something that was never diagnosed. The way you get diagnosed here is you end up in jail. This kid never made it to jail.”

– Martha Pskowski

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #48437 on: May 25, 2022, 02:05:56 pm »

I fear we'll see more massacres like this.
I mean, there's been a bit over one school shooting a week stateside since the covid lockdowns started lifting, fairly steady a bit under 5 a month. I've seen it put that rather than this being a tuesday for the US, tuesdays are like school shootings for us.

We'll definitely see more when we're rolling the dice on it around weekly. Not even sure if "fear" is the right term for recognizing the inevitable :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48438 on: May 25, 2022, 02:15:08 pm »

In what way are Democrats lying about this? America seems to be the only country in the world that this happens on the regular, and nothing gets done about it. Like, literally nothing. Republicans always go down the mental health route as that being the problem. How many bills have been put forward to make treatment more accessible, or to make it easier to identify who needs treatment?

They chat about law-abiding citizens rights being eroded with greater gun control, yet don’t close loopholes that allow non-law-abiding citizens to get their hands on firearms, or punish those that are lax in keeping their guns safe and secure at home.

It’s also slightly ridiculous that nobody gets up in arms about kids being taught active shooter drills like it’s just something they have to live with.

Usually when a bad thing happens, things get done about it. The Republicans are allowing these bad things to happen, because they resist doing things about it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #48439 on: May 25, 2022, 02:20:11 pm »

I actually had no intention of even posting the above, but I'm sick of "Only Republicans Lie".  I'm reminded of Dr. House's saying: "Everyone Lies". Frankly, the only difference is that the Democrats are better at it.

What are you even on about. This isn't about who lies. This is about who is willing to actually attempt to make change short of making schools into fortresses and putting more guns in everyone's hands. That's not solving anything. That's just doubling down on gun usage. Republicans talk about mental health then do fuck all to address it.

Please give me some of your "democrats lie better" evidence, as it relates to gun control, mass shootings and school shootings.

Otherwise you're just trying to distract from the actual issue at hand. Who gives a shit if everyone lies about campaign finance reform, this is about dead kids and the fact Republicans think more guns is the answer to the problem.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 02:23:43 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48440 on: May 25, 2022, 02:24:07 pm »

Maybe you should look at the actual laws being proposed by the Democrats, and see how closely they match up to this current situation.

They chat about law-abiding citizens rights being eroded with greater gun control, yet don’t close loopholes that allow non-law-abiding citizens to get their hands on firearms, or punish those that are lax in keeping their guns safe and secure at home.
Like, I dunno, are the proposed new gun laws restricted to these issues, or do they go further?

Here is a good example of Democrats Propaganda
Right at the beginning: Last June, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signed into law seven measures to expand gun rights, one of which allows people to legally carry handguns without licenses.

But did this shooter use a handgun?

Salvador Ramos, 18, used an AR-15-style semi-automatic rifle in the bloodshed Tuesday at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde that ended with police storming a classroom and killing him FUCK NO

Hence, Democrats lie better.  They're pushing to regulate handguns (short guns) using a tragedy regarding rifles (long guns).

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48441 on: May 25, 2022, 02:26:59 pm »

What are the Republican proposals on dealing with school shootings?

Better question: what do you think would be a good way of dealing with school shootings?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 02:28:39 pm by hector13 »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #48442 on: May 25, 2022, 02:28:28 pm »

short of making schools into fortresses and putting more guns in everyone's hands.
I mean, let's not kid ourselves or buy even a little of their rhetoric -- there's zero chance the GOP would actually fund anything like that, especially on any scale worth noticing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48443 on: May 25, 2022, 02:31:41 pm »

^yo, I edited the above.  Yeah, Democrats lie too.
They're alleging that the new Texas laws that increased people's ability to carry firearms had ANYTHING to do with this tragedy, when the older more restrictive gun laws would have allowed the same tragedy to occur.

Better question: what do you think would be a good way of dealing with school shootings?
I actually do think mental health funding is the answer.  We need to move towards a world where mental health is treated the same as physical health.  Where people go and see a psychologist once a year for a mental health check in the same way that people currently see a medical doctor every year for a physical check up.

The children have actually been the most affected by the COVID pandemic.  They're carrying their family's problems on their backs along with their own.
Dissect this particular scenario. Don't just buy the gun rhetoric, but dissect the family situation that lead up to this point.
Actually look at the damn tragedy instead of looking for a quick fix and moving on with your life.

...frankly, I can't look at this problem any more.  I got other shit to do.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #48444 on: May 25, 2022, 02:37:35 pm »

That isn't a lie. Texas expanded gun rights for hand guns. It is irrelevant to the material statement preceding that the shooter used an AR-15. Yet you've turned that into "Democrats lie!"

Another new law made Texas a “Second Amendment Sanctuary State” against new federal gun-control regulations.

So not only did they expand the right to own a hand gun, they're preemptively blocking any Federal attempt to tell them otherwise about any other laws that try to restrict gun ownership.

You're right, you shouldn't have even brought this up, because you're peddling a garbage viewpoint.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48445 on: May 25, 2022, 02:39:20 pm »

Hence, Democrats lie better.  They're pushing to regulate handguns (short guns) using a tragedy regarding rifles (long guns).

Citation needed.

What legislation has been brought forward in the aftermath of this?

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #48446 on: May 25, 2022, 02:39:59 pm »

you're going to have to walk me through how pushes for gun control in the wake of gun-related massacres leads to the same loss of life that calling the shooter a 'transsexual leftist illegal alien' (per representative Paul Gosar of Arizona), , or how the latter statement is an equivalent comfort to the children and parents suffering as a result of school shootings

or how pushes for gun control spark the same violent rhetoric as oh, I don't know, that time a TPUSA audience was literally cheering or asking when they could start shooting people they perceived were stealing the election

really struggling to see the difference here between 'how do we keep the tools of slaughter out of peoples' hands' and 'when do we get to start slaughtering people'

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48447 on: May 25, 2022, 02:42:47 pm »

What are the Republican proposals on dealing with school shootings?
Most likely, cut education funding. Less schools means less school shootings, right? /s
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48448 on: May 25, 2022, 02:46:47 pm »

Yes, sadly the political response will be "ban guns!" "No, my gun freedom!"

When what we really need is "Let's improve mental health care."

It's not that hard, people.... seriously.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48449 on: May 25, 2022, 02:50:03 pm »

Eh. Mental health care in the US seems to be about the same quality and quantity as in most other western countries. Yet, the shootings happen predominantly in your courtyard. Seems like a distraction.
Pages: 1 ... 3228 3229 [3230] 3231 3232 ... 3513