Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3247 3248 [3249] 3250 3251 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3532905 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #48720 on: June 23, 2022, 02:19:30 pm »

Granted that there are a lot of racial underpinnings to the may-issue system, but it is now generally a "the voters won't back a de jure ban, but we can sneak a de facto one in" measure. Practice was to deny all permit applications (with a very small number of exceptions for people with Connections) under the "good cause" clause, not just those that failed the paper-bag test.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #48721 on: June 23, 2022, 02:59:57 pm »

"We may deny you this permit, but first you may gift me a big fat bag of cash"
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48722 on: June 23, 2022, 04:08:22 pm »

I'd be more comfortable with funding schools that had it as an elective.

My public school afaik had a "Bible as Literature" course...

Anyone read the Texas GOP party platform that basically just says "Yep, we are Christofascists and are coming for your democracy and lives" over and over again? Reads like a Qanon facebook group.

Yes, I read it. They're coming for Obergefell now that they're feeling good about Roe v Wade :)

I'm upset! For real! I wish they would stop talking about killing all of us, or at least that they'd take the videos down where people talk about hunting us down in Target!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #48723 on: June 24, 2022, 09:15:43 am »

Roe and Casey got officially overturned
It’s happening

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/19-1392_6j37.pdf
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 09:17:27 am by TamerVirus »
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48724 on: June 24, 2022, 09:30:48 am »

Well, no surprise there.

I guess it just needs to become federal law if the supreme court decided it's not a constitutional right, and supposedly >70% of Americans support allowing abortion.  Of course, there's zero chance of it passing as a law despite that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48725 on: June 24, 2022, 09:51:21 am »

Next comes undermining gay marriage and contraception.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48726 on: June 24, 2022, 09:58:18 am »

I honestly don't know what to think about all this any more.

I don't understand the rationale behind the court decision on Roe v Wade to be honest.  I also don't understand the fear that it will automatically extend to other social aspects.  Are those other things on such shaky grounds as to constitutionality that there is really a need to fear, or is it over-reaction?  I really don't know, because when it seems like "everyone does what is right in their own eyes" is the prevailing sentiment of the day, I don't know what else to expect.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #48727 on: June 24, 2022, 10:00:25 am »

At least now we'll have plenty of unwanted babies to replace all the kids being killed by uncontested gun violence.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48728 on: June 24, 2022, 10:00:54 am »

Next comes undermining gay marriage and contraception.
Psshaw, that's a slippery slope!
Quote from: Clarence Thomas in the concurring opinion on this
We should reconsider all of this Court’s substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergfell,
well fuck me I guess
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #48729 on: June 24, 2022, 10:15:29 am »

Practically speaking, this decision is the result of a decades-long campaign (which started right after Roe itself) that had very strong public support for the majority of that period. Overturning anything else would fundamentally be starting from scratch, and against far greater political opposition. Equally important, having that mentioned in the concurrence suggests that it is a minority opinion even among the conservative wing.

Legally, however, at least Lawrence drew on Roe for structural support, so this decision does weaken it.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48730 on: June 24, 2022, 10:18:10 am »

It is terrifying
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48731 on: June 24, 2022, 10:22:17 am »

I wish I could do more for you all that are hit so hard by this stuff.  Mere words don't seem like much.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48732 on: June 24, 2022, 10:30:49 am »

Practically speaking, this decision is the result of a decades-long campaign (which started right after Roe itself) that had very strong public support for the majority of that period. Overturning anything else would fundamentally be starting from scratch, and against far greater political opposition. Equally important, having that mentioned in the concurrence suggests that it is a minority opinion even among the conservative wing.

Legally, however, at least Lawrence drew on Roe for structural support, so this decision does weaken it.
Anti-abortion has relatively weak support at 37% vs 61% according to Pew.  Going after queer people is a lot easier.

Clearly this court disregards public opinion anyway.  It only matters for the midterms, where Democrats may get an ENTIRELY un-earned boost by desperate pro-choice voters.  Maybe, MAYBE that even leads to them finally passing some WILDLY POPULAR legislation on these rights.  They're already whining about how Manchin is going to stop them, even as they beg for donations to save abortion.

I'm going to vote Democrat and hope for the best, but I'm going to remain extremely unhappy about it.  It's a sick game these people are playing with our liberties, but I have to do what I can to help people trapped in Handmaiden's Tale states.  That's largely going to involve mutual aid work, but it also means cynical electoralism.

Related, it also involves helping marginalized people in my area reach the polls.  People who have been very deliberately denied access to polling locations and hours.  These fuckers HATE democracy, so I still believe that helping people vote is a good way to "fight" back.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #48733 on: June 24, 2022, 10:37:08 am »

To be frank, at this point I wouldn't be surprised to see the Civil Rights Act opened up for discussion by the GOP and subsequently made a state-by-state decision in America. I mean, they seem determined to drag everyone back to the 1920s...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48734 on: June 24, 2022, 10:40:06 am »

To be frank, at this point I wouldn't be surprised to see the Civil Rights Act opened up for discussion by the GOP and subsequently made a state-by-state decision in America. I mean, they seem determined to drag everyone back to the 1920s...
The Texas GOP's official agenda (beyond claiming Biden isn't president, and a hundred other bonkers things) is to repeal the Voting Rights Act, so pretty close.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 3247 3248 [3249] 3250 3251 ... 3511