Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3248 3249 [3250] 3251 3252 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3593092 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #48735 on: June 24, 2022, 10:45:32 am »

Clearly this court disregards public opinion anyway.

This view concerns me - the Court should absolutely ignore public opinion, because that's a fickle beast, and the public is Often Wrong (as history shows); the Court should focus on constitutionality.

I'm also concerned that the court isn't being impartial and focusing on constitutional intent, but is rather focusing on political goals.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #48736 on: June 24, 2022, 10:50:28 am »

Also from what I've read they seem to have essentially used the argument that older legal precedent can invalidate newer legal precedent? Doesn't that basically lock all constitutional considerations into the social point of view of the 18th century? How can you say that applies to this, but not any legal precedents set by changes overtime to legal challenges to race rights?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48737 on: June 24, 2022, 10:53:38 am »

I Have No Idea Why Anyone Got The Impression That The Leadership Of This Country, Generally Speaking, "Supports" Healthy Race Relations

Mike Pence now pushing to fight for abortion to be made illegal in all 50 states.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #48738 on: June 24, 2022, 10:58:21 am »

Welp. This is all going to spiral badly.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48739 on: June 24, 2022, 11:01:28 am »

I Have No Idea Why Anyone Got The Impression That The Leadership Of This Country, Generally Speaking, "Supports" Healthy Race Relations

Mike Pence now pushing to fight for abortion to be made illegal in all 50 states.

I don't see how those two are related.
I don't have any empirical evidence, but aren't more black babies aborted than white babies? Arguably, do we not get more black people than white people with restrictions on abortion?  Don't the black fathers and their families deserve some rights when the white mother-to-be, and her white family, decide they can't bear to bring a black kid into this world?

Eh, I'm not saying that I agree with the Court's decision.  But I'm leery of throwing race relations into the abortion issue without sensitivity to both issues of race and unplanned pregnancy.

Now that is quite accurate.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #48740 on: June 24, 2022, 11:02:25 am »

Anti-abortion has relatively weak support at 37% vs 61% according to Pew.  Going after queer people is a lot easier.

That's true now. When the backlash against Roe started, it was not. Roe was a very unpopular decision in clear opposition to a majority of the voters.

Trying to go after queer people would have to start from essentially zero today. When a supermajority of Republicans support having legal gay marriage. Building the necessary groundwork to overturn the other cases will be extremely difficult.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #48741 on: June 24, 2022, 11:04:02 am »

Eh, I'm not saying that I agree with the Court's decision.  But I'm leery of throwing race relations into the abortion issue without sensitivity to both issues of race and unplanned pregnancy.

The question is whether this establishes a precedent that can be used to overturn essentially any law that related to social progress, something that before this would have been an unthinkable option in terms of legal precedent since later legal precedent could be used to override earlier rulings.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #48742 on: June 24, 2022, 11:14:33 am »

The Court has overturned precedent before, often on shakier ground than this. Nothing about this violates any procedure, or any part of the written or unwritten portions of the law.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48743 on: June 24, 2022, 11:16:22 am »

One can argue that substantive due process has always been on a shaky foundation since Lochner, the Fourth Amendment is more of a limit of the government's investigatory powers, and the Ninth Amendment is just one of the weakest Rational Basis Test requirements out there; but the fact that SCOTUS didn't recognize (assisted) abortion of life-threatening pregnancies as a right under the Due Process clause is sickening, incompetent, and a total failure.

The government is depriving patients of life-saving procedures. By implication, the government is depriving someone of their life without a trial--without due process of law. I can only hope that this is rectified in a future court case, by legislation, or by constitutional amendment.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48744 on: June 24, 2022, 11:19:38 am »

Euchrejack, I'm responding to this comment:

Also from what I've read they seem to have essentially used the argument that older legal precedent can invalidate newer legal precedent? Doesn't that basically lock all constitutional considerations into the social point of view of the 18th century? How can you say that applies to this, but not any legal precedents set by changes overtime to legal challenges to race rights?

According to Justice Thomas, we have the logical implication that the following things are permissible: take out abortion -> let's take out the rights of married couples to access contraception, the gays to marry, and the gays to have consensual sex in the privacy of their own homes.

The comment was, "doesn't historical precedent also mean that civil rights for Black people and other people of color can be rolled back?"

And I said: "Yeah, I don't know why anyone thinks that our politicians in general would consider that a negative."

Trying to go after queer people would have to start from essentially zero today.

The thing is, people in their 20s to 30s have seen big changes in the acceptance of homosexuality in their lifetimes. That means that everyone older than them has, too. Obergefell was decided in 2014, less than ten years ago. This is really not settled law when so many people are still viscerally disgusted by the existence of queer people in public spaces.

My mother, liberal Californian, has never met a homosexual she likes, believes gay teachers should not be in schools or allowed to raise children, and also doesn't think that gays should marry.

If you read the comments to the ~liberal newspaper, New York Times~ on pretty much any essay on women's rights or lgbtq issues, you can see that it's just walls and walls of only tangentially related negative comments about trans people, usually with explicit threats that the lgb needs to disavow the t's and q's or all five will be crushed out of existence. I want to reiterate that these are not "thoughtful" comments or "good faith" arguments. It is just walls and walls and walls of people expressing the same talking point: we conservatives are ok with the lgb so long as you kick the t and q out of the community.

(I hope that no one believes this devil's bargain is actually in good faith. They aren't going to stop after taking out all the gender nonconformists.)

Oh, either that, or logically incoherent comments about women's rights and the heroism of JK Rowling. There's maybe two supportive comments for roughly 100 bad ones.

This is not zero, and we are not starting from a position of "100" in terms of gay rights. Queers are a minority in this country and the overwhelming news I'm hearing over and over again is: "Give Up Gay Rights To Win Elections."

One can argue that substantive due process has always been on a shaky foundation since Lochner, the Fourth Amendment is more of a limit of the government's investigatory powers, and the Ninth Amendment is just one of the weakest Rational Basis Test requirements out there; but the fact that SCOTUS didn't recognize (assisted) abortion of life-threatening pregnancies as a right under the Due Process clause is sickening, incompetent, and a total failure.

The government is depriving patients of life-saving procedures. By implication, the government is depriving someone of their life without a trial--without due process of law. I can only hope that this is rectified in a future court case, by legislation, or by constitutional amendment.

As I've mentioned a few times here before, it also infringes on the religious liberty of Jews, who believe, and have written for centuries, that preserving the life of the mother is the most important thing. There is a challenge to the Florida ban on these grounds.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #48745 on: June 24, 2022, 11:20:42 am »

I don't have any empirical evidence, but aren't more black babies aborted than white babies? Arguably, do we not get more black people than white people with restrictions on abortion?  Don't the black fathers and their families deserve some rights when the white mother-to-be, and her white family, decide they can't bear to bring a black kid into this world?

i'm sorry, do socioeconomic circumstances not factor in at all in your world view, or are life-threatening medical emergencies just better for black people making this a win for them? Won't anyone please think about how the men are hurt when women take control of their personal health?

Also, I really can't help you if you think the pregnant white woman in this circumstance won't be entirely alienated by said white family if that's the crux of your imagined abortion scenario. Or, fuck, if you assume every child could be loved and supported appropriately if they only couldn't get aborted.

---

To add to the concerns about LGBTQIA rights- they're fully founded concerns if you're listening to how Republican rhetoric has been recently to spin them as groomers, or the bathroom panic, or the sports panic, and given how Texas announced they want to overturn the Voting Rights Act, it wouldn't be a leap to assume that they'd accept overthrowing civil rights there, too.

To build on what MorleyDev said, this is what makes the originalist take on the constitution so horrifying- you have a political party that's willing to strip rights in a totalitarian power grab and it's perfectly fine for them because the constitution doesn't explicitly say they can't or that people have these rights that they want to take away. Fuck, it's still in living memory when black women couldn't vote.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 11:34:20 am by None »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48746 on: June 24, 2022, 11:24:55 am »

Remember these two fundamental facts about LGBTQ people:
1) They got money, at least some in the alphabet.
2) Unlike other discriminated groups, they can pretend to be straight then advocate for their group to be protected.

Also: Marriage is a constitutionally protected right. Limiting the genders of those who get married is plainly discriminatory.  It's harder.

Trans rights are the most vulnerable, especially in the areas of public accommodations and health care.

The question is whether this establishes a precedent that can be used to overturn essentially any law that related to social progress, something that before this would have been an unthinkable option in terms of legal precedent since later legal precedent could be used to override earlier rulings.

I think that is a fair concern, but note that overturning precedent is how you get social progress.
Hopefully, this case fits in the "rare and special" category, so the Supreme Court doesn't think they can pull this shit every day.
My crystal ball is in the shop, so all I can say is keep watching.

Actually, people need to make a big deal about this.  The Supreme Court does consider the public perceptions of their actions: If they think the blowback from this case is "less than expected", they'll be emboldened to make more decisions. If they feel the heat of the public's near-universal hatred, then they'll take on less controversial issues for a while.

I did pick up one thing from the decision: If people want better laws, they need to elect better people. 
If the Texas GOP is a bunch of neo-nazis, vote those assholes out.
Organize better among the Democrats.  Support more moderate Texan Republicans. Form a Third Party. Eh, I don't live in Texas, so frankly I just don't care. If you don't live in Texas, maybe it ain't your problem either? Maybe we each need to worry more about our own states, and less about what crazy & stupid people are doing in other states?
Yes, I am aware that people move between states. But I can't worry about 49 other states being optimal if I should possibly wish to move in some unforeseen future.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48747 on: June 24, 2022, 11:32:03 am »

Also: Marriage is a constitutionally protected right. Limiting the genders of those who get married is plainly discriminatory.  It's harder.

Marriage is protected in the constitution? I remember the will of the founders including a lot of details about enslavement, but nothing saying "we shall make a country so that we may marry each other."

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #48748 on: June 24, 2022, 11:36:07 am »

Remember these two fundamental facts about LGBTQ people:
1) They got money, at least some in the alphabet.

that's gonna get real weird if we lose protections against discrimination for LGBTQ people.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48749 on: June 24, 2022, 11:37:00 am »

i'm sorry, do socioeconomic circumstances not factor in at all in your world view, or are life-threatening medical emergencies just better for black people making this a win for them? Won't anyone please think about how the men are hurt when women take control of their personal health?

Also, I really can't help you if you think the pregnant white woman in this circumstance won't be entirely alienated by said white family if that's the crux of your imagined abortion scenario. Or, fuck, if you assume every child could be loved and supported appropriately if they only couldn't get aborted.

It seems to me that you are saying it is OK to kill babies if it helps the white woman get along better with her white family.
There are plenty of valid reasons to get an abortion.  I wish to be clear on that.  But making one's family happy, in my opinion, is not one of them.

There is also an inherent problem in saying "babies shouldn't be born if they can't be supported". Do only Rich People get to dictate who gets born?

Frankly, you sound like a rich bitch, and I'm feeling like I don't value your opinions very much.

To be even more clear:
1) I don't want to be forced to have a child, because I just don't want a child -> OK
2) I don't want to be forced to have a child, because I don't want to pay for it -> Every deadbeat father in existence, NOT OK
Pages: 1 ... 3248 3249 [3250] 3251 3252 ... 3515