Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3261 3262 [3263] 3264 3265 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3593100 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #48930 on: June 29, 2022, 10:54:43 am »

Has anyone here been involved in a data breach incident? I definitely know my personal details are floating out in the internet ether  amalgamated with other people's info and potentially in the grubby hands of bad actors but so far the only things to come out of that are a marked increase in crypto spam and other obvious and not-so-obvious phishing attempts
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48931 on: June 29, 2022, 11:03:43 am »

@scriver:

If it indicates that your family has just taken an Uber to the airport and paid with a fancy credit card, for example, it could be much more helpful than gun data ;)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #48932 on: June 29, 2022, 11:04:00 am »

Is it bad that I just want to tune out of all the politics, ignore the news and just focus that energy on trying to be a more kind person in my little slice of existence?  There's constant disagreement, and pretty much nothing I say or do affects the big news items anyway.  I feel like the only result of paying attention to any of it is that I have more concerns and stress...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48933 on: June 29, 2022, 11:04:54 am »

Meanwhile, having no kind of registry of firearms[1] is the very epitome of utopian perfection?

But I get it. Some people just don't want to be 'tracked' by dat ebul gubmint, and cases such as the above is just one of the lesser of all paranoid-looking arguments.

(Honestly, if someone achieved their ambition and used their stache of weaponry to actually overthrow the federal authorities, in a mass "power to the people!" episode, I doubt any significant proportion of bullet-striations/whatever will get checked against recent barrel-records to see if they can establish which particular insurectionist had failed to swap out the relevent components between "the ones used in the mandated test-firings" and those saved against the day of the mass uprising.)

As said by others, data-protection is a general issue. If this was an over-reach of released information, by an individual, it's probably no more a problem in the long term.than a major online retailer's purchaser information getting exposed (less so, in at least some rsspects). Or that recent loss of the USB stick in Japan (encrypted, apparently, but I don't know to what degree of sucficiency) that had pretty much an entire city's detailed resident information upon it, should anyone find and be able to make use of it.

Sorry, no, if there's a 'pile' of bad reasons for firearm (and/or firearm owner) database, I suspect that the pile of good reasons is also significant. And possibly contains some of those things from the first pile but just from a different reasonae perspective, indicating nuances in their pro-/anti- application at the very least.

[1] Though this is firearms owners, isn't it? You need to be able to check that someone with a firearm is allowed/not disalloweddelete as inapplicable to carry a gun. The secondary aspect of exactly which (or indeed how many) weapons they possess is another question. But, again, it wouldn't hurt to have the permanent serial number, and perhaps a ballistics fingerprint, on record for every gun (linked to the nominal owner by a pseudorandom anonymisation tag on both databases that requires legally-authorised cross-checking) to allow everything from returning stolen and recovered guns to get back to their owners all the way to at least bootstrapping the investigation of where a weapon was involved in a crime, whether that be a direct lead or the start of an underworld trail starting at someone having let an unsecured weapon get stolen in some random robbery.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48934 on: June 29, 2022, 11:15:59 am »

Completly irrelevant wether it's about guns or not.... If anything it's a deterrent not to break into those homes.

Side note on this, this reason is why it's generally discouraged for gun owners to display signs like "we don't dial 911" or whatever, because advertising firearms ownership is a double-edged sword. It can be a deterrent, or it can signal possession of a fairly attractive target for thieves. Just depends on what sort of mindset a would-be thief has.

In practice, when you don't have massive data leaks the firearm owner is normally the biggest threat to their information security, given the practice of advertising via a bumper sticker or what-have-you as implied above.

A similar factor is also something that comes up when it comes to the advantages of concealed carry vs. open carry. Some people might be dissuaded from causing trouble if they can see that someone's very clearly armed. Others might file away visibly-armed bystanders under "if I'm going to start a shootout, target those guys first" instead.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #48935 on: June 29, 2022, 11:49:09 am »

Why would someone want to rob someone knowing they have a gun?

Isn’t that the entire reason people want guns in the first place?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48936 on: June 29, 2022, 12:10:02 pm »

They'll wait for you to leave the house, then burglarize it.

And since no-one in their right mind has the time and money to setup a Fort Knox for their guns, affordable gun lockers won't deter them either. They'll either pick the laughably insecure lock (cf. LockPickingLawyer), cut the locker open on-site, or just steal the whole damn thing and open it elsewhere.

One hour gone from the house and a bit of staking out the place is all that's needed.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48937 on: June 29, 2022, 12:19:11 pm »

Next logical step: knocking at car windows because one is paranoid they might be observing the neighbourhood. If only there was a better way...

Meanwhile one of my past french teachers hasnt locked his housedoor in 30 years.

Weapons will allways favor the attacker over the defendant. First it might boast confidence where there was none to begin with, creating the intention in non-criminals, and then there is the element of surprise, the attacker gets to pick when and where.
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #48938 on: June 29, 2022, 01:00:00 pm »

They'll wait for you to leave the house, then burglarize it.

And since no-one in their right mind has the time and money to setup a Fort Knox for their guns, affordable gun lockers won't deter them either. They'll either pick the laughably insecure lock (cf. LockPickingLawyer), cut the locker open on-site, or just steal the whole damn thing and open it elsewhere.

One hour gone from the house and a bit of staking out the place is all that's needed.
Pretty much that, yup. Firearms are easy to lift, easy to sell stateside -- they're prime theft targets*. Firearms stolen from randos are something like 3rd as a source of firearms used/owned illegally, iirc, after stuff bought legally(ish) and ones stolen from family/friends.

*It's actually one of the smaller contributing factors to firearms in the home making you less safe, ha. They increase the likelihood of a home invasion by a bit.

Meanwhile one of my past french teachers hasnt locked his housedoor in 30 years.
Eh, I lock mine out of habit, but it's less to genuinely keep anyone out and more to slow them down. It's largely more important for folks that's fine to be coming in, even, because them not just walking in means we have time to make sure my grandfather isn't streaking again before they come in. It's a kindness to the visitor, really.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #48940 on: June 29, 2022, 06:17:22 pm »

I can’t be bothered reading that article as I read a BBC one recently that also had a little graphic of what apps could cause issues after Roe v Wade was overturned.

Article.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #48941 on: June 29, 2022, 08:31:22 pm »

Home security has never been about making you impossible to rob, it's about making you more secure than the next guy and so less appealing of a target. If you operate on the assumption you're being actively targetted, then...well, good luck.

You don't lock your door because it stops the guy with the lockpick or strong boot. You lock it because it stops the guy walking down the street testing locks as he goes. And to stop your parents just walking into your house unannounced, because you know they will if you don't lock the door.

(One of the reasons digital protection needs to be so strong compared to the physical and suggestions to give police a 'back door' are so flawed is because instead of a guy walking down the street, it's a guy kicking every door in the city at once, 1000 times a second).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 08:38:38 pm by MorleyDev »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #48942 on: June 30, 2022, 01:16:47 am »

Which I think is the point of them bringing the aide in to speak, it's to force the hand of several of the people who have so far refused to appear and testify under oath as to the events of Jan 6th. Hearsay isn't admissible in law but it brings political weight to get them into a position to give evidence that would be admissible.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/06/29/jan-6-hutchinson-secret-service-00043164

The secret service has already testified before the Jan 6 panel on other matters. Looks like the panel just couldn't be bothered to reach out before Hutchinson testified.

"Something to the effect of" political weight in her case.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48943 on: June 30, 2022, 01:39:39 am »

Is it bad that I just want to tune out of all the politics, ignore the news and just focus that energy on trying to be a more kind person in my little slice of existence?  There's constant disagreement, and pretty much nothing I say or do affects the big news items anyway.  I feel like the only result of paying attention to any of it is that I have more concerns and stress...

I think any reasonable person would say that if you think it's going to threaten your mental health, to go ahead and stay out of politics.

That being said, I'm going to try to make a strong argument for not ignoring it, that the former statement still overrides.

Can you be a kind person by ignoring the worst problems? If you just ignored the abortion bans, how would you comfort a friend who is dealing with that very issue? Are you going to tell them it's just too much for you, as they are forced to give birth? Politics affects everyone's lives and ignoring it only gives you a dim view of the world and prevents you from making the right choices. And you may be one person, but you are not alone in what you are thinking. You form a group and the larger the group is that goes "Meh, theocratic fascists are destroying democracy and lives. I choose to ignore it.", the more it tells politicians that those actions are acceptable. All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Find some fun political streamers to watch who have good communities is you want to take the edge off. I'd recommend ActualJake on twitch.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48944 on: June 30, 2022, 05:13:47 am »

You can very much be a good person by ignoring politics. For most people the 'politics' they engage in is impotent. It's divorced from constructive activism, and doesn't affect their lives in any significant way. It's just about getting high on indignation, vindication, tribalism, and the sense of power. I suppose the world could be a better place if they would just stop, and instead focus on being kind to those around them without any externally-imposed meta narrative clouding their empathy.
Pages: 1 ... 3261 3262 [3263] 3264 3265 ... 3515