Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3263 3264 [3265] 3266 3267 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3579088 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #48960 on: June 30, 2022, 07:37:31 pm »

I hate the impact of the decision, but I think it's the better decision - Congress needs to get its act together.  They are by far the weakest branch of the government at the moment, and they are the one that is supposed to represent the people!

Saying that Congress needs to get it's act together sounds off to me. Republicans plus Manchin are enough to block literally anything, and Republicans as a party forced those supreme court justices in specifically to do these things. Saying they need to get their act together implies that they are just ignorant or lazy. Nope. Half of the Senate has their act together and are purposefully trampling on your rights.

At best, I could say that Democrats should get their act together and condemn the Republicans every day for what they are doing.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 07:39:10 pm by Micro102 »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #48961 on: June 30, 2022, 10:40:18 pm »

Condemnations already come out on twitter. Dems need to actually do something. Or at least fucking vote along with their condemnations

(Shout out to the democrat who voted in favor of an antitrans bill then posted on twitter about how much he feels for the plight of trans people. I'd provide a source but googling that only returned rightwing results about how dems are more antitrans than repubs and how twitter is owned by the left.)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 03:41:01 am by delphonso »

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #48962 on: June 30, 2022, 11:39:30 pm »

Is it bad that I just want to tune out of all the politics, ignore the news and just focus that energy on trying to be a more kind person in my little slice of existence?  There's constant disagreement, and pretty much nothing I say or do affects the big news items anyway.  I feel like the only result of paying attention to any of it is that I have more concerns and stress...
Completely valid, if you feel like you are mentally better off cutting yourself off from politics, it's fine.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48963 on: July 01, 2022, 01:36:52 am »

Condemnations already come out on twitter. Dems need to actually do something. Or at least fucking vote along with their condemnations

I just watched Kamala Harris spend like... 10 minutes in an interview not even saying the word "republicans" when talking about the abortion laws when they are the entire reason this shit is happening. She is actively avoiding condemning them, making it sound like it's not an entire party putting us where we are.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48964 on: July 01, 2022, 04:33:26 am »

I just watched Kamala Harris spend like... 10 minutes in an interview

That's rough, do you need some water, or milk, or a toast, or maybe a handkechief, or a hug, or a massage, or a day off, or a punching bag, or maybe some kind words?
let

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48965 on: July 01, 2022, 08:35:36 am »

Here's CNBC on the matter, in case anyone wants to read more.
Thanks.  That should make it easier to update the Supreme Court thread.  I still think I missed a decision, though.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #48966 on: July 01, 2022, 11:35:27 am »

So it's a friday before a holiday. What's the over/under on something super-shitty getting released end of day because it's a friday, or not getting released because people might have an extra day off to protest?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #48967 on: July 01, 2022, 11:35:41 am »

She is actively avoiding condemning them, making it sound like it's not an entire party putting us where we are.

I mean, all the Supreme Court did was open the door for states to make their own laws.
I'm not saying that I agree with SCOTUS' decision, or that they are blameless. But it's the state lawmakers who are choosing what to do with their newfound freedoms, and ultimately it's the voting population of the states who empower those lawmakers.
Of course gerrymandering and Big Money make it much harder than it should be for voters to have any influence. But still, you can't put all the blame on one party's politicians; the voters of the other party have to do their part if they want to be represented.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #48968 on: July 01, 2022, 12:17:49 pm »

So it's a friday before a holiday. What's the over/under on something super-shitty getting released end of day because it's a friday, or not getting released because people might have an extra day off to protest?
I think they've already closed the term, actually? SCOTUS is on holiday until october, or something like that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #48969 on: July 01, 2022, 01:15:33 pm »

She is actively avoiding condemning them, making it sound like it's not an entire party putting us where we are.

I mean, all the Supreme Court did was open the door for states to make their own laws.
I'm not saying that I agree with SCOTUS' decision, or that they are blameless. But it's the state lawmakers who are choosing what to do with their newfound freedoms, and ultimately it's the voting population of the states who empower those lawmakers.
Of course gerrymandering and Big Money make it much harder than it should be for voters to have any influence. But still, you can't put all the blame on one party's politicians; the voters of the other party have to do their part if they want to be represented.

Here's another read.

Segments of the American population are interested in taking rights away from other Americans, or making all Americans play by their own personally held rules. The point of government is to be the arbitrator of rights. And Conservative Republicans have historically been in favor of "smaller government" so it can't be that arbiter. So it can't tell them do to things like not dump their waste in public water ways, discriminate against people in housing, jobs, benefits, voting access.....

Saying that "oh well states and the people that vote them in power just get to choose now" essentially says you're cool with all those things, because people's right to choose matters more than basic decency, actual freedom or equality.

I'm not coming after you specifically. But I would think real hard about what you're saying. Because the worst examples will be made manifest by decisions like these, and future ones they're planning to make.

I mean, deciding that states can just invalidate elections because they don't like the results? How is that a net benefit to American society or democracy? The idea that people will eventually "vote out the bad guys" is fucking laughable and has been for the last 8 years.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #48970 on: July 01, 2022, 01:19:20 pm »

I think they've already closed the term, actually? SCOTUS is on holiday until october, or something like that.

Oh, is that so? That's something of a relief, I suppose.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48971 on: July 01, 2022, 01:23:35 pm »

The GOP has been attempting to rig their state elections for decades. Last election, they tried to send fake electors to vote for Trump. The supreme court's decisions are blatantly made to give republicans the ability to rig their elections, preventing states like Georgia or Arizona from going blue. They are tools for scum to use.

Please do not be ignorant of the GOP's multiple attempts to destroy democracy. If they get the ability to prevent states from going blue, then they will get the ability to get control of everything, and democracy will be dead.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 08:00:39 pm by Micro102 »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48972 on: July 01, 2022, 02:52:06 pm »

So it's a friday before a holiday.

...ah, it's just twigged. I checked the next few days Geohashing points, expecting Saturday, Sunday and Monday to show up, and found Tuesday too.

"Ah", I thought, "must be one of those days the DOW is closed, on Monday". Didn't click what holiday it was, though, until you made me think of the actual date... ;)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #48973 on: July 02, 2022, 08:34:19 pm »

Also they want to throw the questions back to states that they know red states will want to change, but also stop the blue states from doing things (e.g prohibiting concealed carry) they have overwhelming support for changing. So they're pretty clearing doing it *to* impose a particular philosophy on people, rather than 'to leave it to states'.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48974 on: July 03, 2022, 01:36:36 am »

*Casually points at the US constitution, Article 3, section 2.*

*Points out how the Ruling, and reason de'tre from Alito is pointedly against that verbiage. Especially in light of extra-jurisdictional enforcement efforts by the states.*

*Gestures like Vanna White at the 9th Amendment*

*Casually walks back out again*
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 01:49:59 am by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 3263 3264 [3265] 3266 3267 ... 3513