Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3291 3292 [3293] 3294 3295 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3590857 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #49380 on: August 12, 2022, 12:47:42 am »

No, it's always a crime. Hillary didn't breach crap. She had a private email server.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49381 on: August 12, 2022, 12:51:49 am »

Not only did she have a private email server, she didn’t delete the emails, the company hosting the server did.

She was stupid for doing it, but being stupid isn’t a crime.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49382 on: August 12, 2022, 12:53:48 am »

Well, putting on my non-partisan cap for a second, skimming the FBI's statement on the topic shows more negligence on Hillary's part than anything else.
https://www.fbi.gov/news/press-releases/press-releases/statement-by-fbi-director-james-b-comey-on-the-investigation-of-secretary-hillary-clinton2019s-use-of-a-personal-e-mail-system

Wikipedia's article on the whole thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_Clinton_email_controversy

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49383 on: August 12, 2022, 12:58:28 am »

She changed the automatic deletion time to 60 days on her server for her 33000 personal emails after she transferred to the State Department all copies of official correspondence for its records, as she is required to do. This was before any subpoena. The emails were only deleted by the company after the subpoena. The emails were later recovered by FBI investigators. All were personal.

EDIT: An article about the deletion: https://www.factcheck.org/2016/09/the-fbi-files-on-clintons-emails/ .

« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 01:07:27 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49384 on: August 12, 2022, 07:13:49 am »

Apparently the breaching of confidential documents is only a crime when Donald does it?
It's probably worth noting, but what trump did in regards to classified documents (i.e. deliberately fucked off with actual physical copies of highly sensitive classified information, didn't return them, lied about it to federal officials after he was no longer president, etc.; as others have noted, there is zero goddamn similarity to the email horseshit), only necessarily became a federal felony under his own fucking administration. The law folks have noted as being the one most likely to put him in prison based on what we're publicly aware of, is one he signed into law.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49385 on: August 12, 2022, 09:09:05 am »

In my opinion Trump forced this issue when his lawyers claimed that he could murder people, in the street, and not be charged while still president.  They practically said "investigate this once he loses an election".  Which was still *insane* since the issue was election tampering, but whatever.

Obviously what they meant was "He could murder someone on the street and you should never investigate ever", but surely SOME things are still beyond the pale... right?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49386 on: August 12, 2022, 09:40:15 am »

Grab ‘em by the pussy.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #49387 on: August 12, 2022, 09:50:56 am »

Pokémon Go To The Polls
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49388 on: August 12, 2022, 10:35:52 am »

The latest I've heard is the documents the orange fuck stole may have included nuclear documents of some sort. While unlikely to be anything of world-shattering value, that's still in the category of "the worst classified shit that the president has access to" that Trump stolen and, most likely, clownishly attempted to sell with whichever dictator he thought might be able to help him out of this mess.

Which might've gone so far as to include Russia, the country that's currently the closest to being on the top of our shit list for all that "invading Ukraine and constantly agitating NATO which we're basically the backbone of" stuff. Needless to say, unless you're in the fascist camp and believe we should be actively joining in on the side of Ukrainian genocide, and believe in ignoring the repeated bluffs threatening NATO and the US with nuclear annihilation, that is as far into "aiding and abetting the enemy" as any one orange fuckwit is capable of doing.

I want to emphasize, if that sequence of events is correct then Trump most likely went screaming past his mundane charges of sedition and committed actual treason, under the US' own much stricter definition of the term. This is the sort of thing that gets people who aren't rich the death penalty. Famously, the Rosenbergs were executed for exactly this sort of thing by the US, specifically for providing classified information to an enemy state.

And there are still people moronic enough to pull the "but her emails!" card and expect their false-equivalence fallacy to be adequate defense against literal goddamn treason.

EDIT: Worth noting, this goes on the assumption that Russia was the main point of sale for those classified documents. Given the whole Kushner thing, Saudi Arabia is also another possible benefactor here, and if that turns out to be the case things are going to get...complicated. Mainly because the Saudis are in a position where they are nominally our allies, but have been a major source of funding for the sorts of terrorist groups the US has spend the past couple decades in conflict with.

Being a non-nuclear country (for now) throwing money at people who throw planes at the US would NORMALLY be a highly elaborate form of suicide. We've ruined entire countries for much more trivial reasons than that. Even if you look post Cold War and thus remove "tried to exist while maintaining anything that resembles communism" from the list of reasons, there's still reasons like "you did not have the courtesy to die during the Gulf War" for example. If not for good old oil money the Saudis would probably be higher on the US' shit list than Russia, North Korea, etc.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 11:33:03 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49389 on: August 12, 2022, 02:59:24 pm »

The warrant was unsealed so we’ll find out soon what it was all about.

WSJ is saying there were several documents of the highest classification seized.

Edit: from the NYT:

The search warrant for Trump’s residence cited three criminal laws, all from Title 18 of the United States Code. Section 793, better known as the Espionage Act, which covers the unlawful retention of defense-related information that could harm the United States or aid a foreign adversary; Section 1519, which covers destroying or concealing documents to obstruct government investigations or administrative proceedings; and Section 2071, which covers the unlawful removal of government records. Notably, none of those laws turn on whether information was deemed to be unclassified.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 03:09:11 pm by hector13 »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49390 on: August 12, 2022, 04:47:08 pm »

The reconciliation bill (Inflation Reduction Act) has now passed both chambers, and should shortly become law unless Biden somehow manages to veto it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49391 on: August 12, 2022, 06:23:22 pm »

He's either already signed it, or will in short order, one of the two. Seen news say he's pretty cheerful about it, one way or another.

... in other news, trump's apparently been tweeting on the fash twitter thing that classified documents related to nuclear secrets were planted by FBI in the raid, which is... yup. I guess that confirms at least part of the raid was, indeed, due to trump fucking around with classified nuclear intel. Now we get to see what he finds out, I guess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49392 on: August 12, 2022, 06:34:55 pm »

"They planted those documents! and those videos of me getting golden showered! They planted them! And all that evidence that proves that Eric is my son! It's all planted and fake!"

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #49393 on: August 12, 2022, 06:36:07 pm »

... in other news, trump's apparently been tweeting on the fash twitter thing that classified documents related to nuclear secrets were planted by FBI in the raid, which is... yup. I guess that confirms at least part of the raid was, indeed, due to trump fucking around with classified nuclear intel. Now we get to see what he finds out, I guess.

Trump's bullshit lies are going to spark an armed insurrection all over the country. When he actually gets arrested, it's going to be Jan 6 on steroids in the US.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49394 on: August 12, 2022, 07:47:50 pm »

"They planted those documents! and those videos of me getting golden showered! They planted them! And all that evidence that proves that Eric is my son! It's all planted and fake!"

This is the second Eric Trump riff of this kind I've heard today. Savage!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 3291 3292 [3293] 3294 3295 ... 3514