Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3295 3296 [3297] 3298 3299 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3607176 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #49440 on: August 18, 2022, 08:57:02 am »

Just a note on the coal plant thing -- said profitability is more than a little influenced by pollution standards, so it's not quite accurate to say the government didn't have any role in that. And there are fuel efficiency standards that influenced Ford's decisions on muscle cars (not an outright ban, but overall fleet standards that make certain types of vehicles more tricky to fit in).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49441 on: August 18, 2022, 10:23:34 am »

Most of the "protectionism" in these bills is because a literal stated goal is "make it much harder for supply chain collapses to cripple the US economy in the future", specifically targeting a ton of weak points revealed by the twin shocks of a global pandemic and a shooting war in Europe. Another literal stated goal is to reduce the importance of China in the US economy, because the shooting war in Europe has shown that having large sectors of your economy heavily dependent on a potentially hostile country (in that case, the heavy reliance on Russian energy by Europe) is a bad idea.

Additional pipeline subsidies are being put in place because we're going to still need those for quite a while - even the most optimistic projections don't show EVs replacing new-manufacture consumer ICE vehicles until the 2030s, and commercial vehicles (particularly big trucks, a rather important element of running an economy) even further out than that. That doesn't even factor in oil and gas power plants (both of which are much better than coal) which will become even more important as EVs boost electricity demand (and even if you power them with an oil plant, EVs are an emission improvement over existing ICE vehicles).

Meanwhile, simple consumerism genuinely is doing a lot to shift things in the right direction. No government mandate caused Ford's entire EV line to be sold out before they even started serial production. Consumers did that entirely on their own. There's no government regulation requiring Dodge to discontinue their current (extremely inefficient and high-emission) muscle car range - the company looked at current trends and decided that the current line was not profitably sustainable. It isn't government mandates that closed forty percent of US coal plants in the last decade - they just weren't profitable enough.

Trying to accelerate the forces already pushing things where you want them to go is often easier, cheaper, and more effective than trying to awaken stalled forces or introduce entirely new ones. And that's exactly what this bill is doing.

So it's resources protection legislation selling itself as a climate change bill?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49442 on: August 18, 2022, 10:44:13 am »

It's both. It's about "AMERICAN CLEAN ENERGY." Framing climate legislation as insuring the resource independence and security of the nation is a good way to sell it to conservatives.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49443 on: August 18, 2022, 10:53:46 am »

Next you'll tell me the Patriot Act wasn't really about being patriotic...
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49444 on: August 18, 2022, 12:17:41 pm »

Next you'll tell me the Patriot Act wasn't really about being patriotic...
IIRC, it was something to do with Mel Gibson.

(Which is not always a sentence that bodes well.)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49445 on: August 24, 2022, 04:06:37 pm »

How is the student loan forgiveness thing not posted yet?

/popcorn

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49446 on: August 24, 2022, 04:20:55 pm »

It's cool beans.

Biden Announces Plan For Federal Student Loan Debt Relief
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNHmQdrlIZE
It's not wide sweeping change, but Biden estimates 43 million people are qualified for student loan forgiveness of either $10,000 or $20,000.

I'm personally very skeptical that Biden's administration will be able to implement any systematic change on this front. I hope at the very least Biden can keep implementing band aid solutions until we get a more progressive and more strong president.
Max avatar size is 80x80

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49447 on: August 24, 2022, 04:40:05 pm »

Barely makes a dent in my wife’s student loan debt, but apparently of the 43m Americans with student loan debt, a third have $10k or less.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49448 on: August 24, 2022, 04:53:33 pm »

As a person who paid off a fairly substantial loan thanks to being able to live with a parent, I am a-okay with others getting a partial or even complete reprieve.

And yeah, I think most people have a fairly small loan because they 'only' have an undergrad degree and some situation with being able to pay less than full price (e.g. in-state tuition, scholarship, aid from the college, etc. etc.).

I'd argue there's the larger issue of tuition costs and colleges & money, but the student loan system is just one facet of that kettle of balls of wax.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49449 on: August 24, 2022, 07:58:58 pm »

How is the student loan forgiveness thing not posted yet?

/popcorn
Damn, I actually qualify for this plan.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/politics/live-news/student-loan-forgiveness-joe-biden/index.html
Watch it not happen, or only cover government/non-for-profit employees before it gets implemented. I'll believe it when I see it (Trump was never able to get his grandiose loan forgiveness plans through either)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49450 on: August 24, 2022, 08:10:11 pm »

As someone else who successfully paid back his student loans on his own about 5 years ago, I am also glad to see people's debts being forgiven here.  I wouldn't have minded more.  I wouldn't mind paying more taxes if it meant the government took control and started offering paid tuition like many countries do.

This is America though, so that either could never happen or it would lead to something even worse somehow.

Anyway, I agree with a lot of armchair analysts on the internet that this doesn't solve the fundamental problem that universities can essentially charge what they want and get away with it for a lot of reasons, but regardless it's good to see people getting help they need right now.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49451 on: August 24, 2022, 08:23:01 pm »

in like 5-15 years we'll just have the exact same problem with the next generation of students.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49452 on: August 24, 2022, 08:26:50 pm »

Sure, but that's half a decade to a decade and a half of a huge pile of people not having to deal with the problem in question, which, like. The benefits to stress levels alone will probably save thousands, tens of thousands of lives, just from that, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49453 on: August 24, 2022, 09:12:58 pm »

Think of it this way: A large part of US economic growth is tied up in home ownership.  This legislation will allow more people to buy homes in 5 years.
Thus, this legislation will actually help the US economy.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49454 on: August 24, 2022, 10:01:29 pm »

Sure, but that's half a decade to a decade and a half of a huge pile of people not having to deal with the problem in question, which, like. The benefits to stress levels alone will probably save thousands, tens of thousands of lives, just from that, heh.

Ya didn't actually solve anything.  There's just going to be another huge pile of people that's going to have just as much education debt because tuition's still just as high as ever, you're just going to have to do this again.

Its like in futurama when they dump one giant ice cube in the ocean and declare global warming over.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 3295 3296 [3297] 3298 3299 ... 3515