Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3305 3306 [3307] 3308 3309 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3596921 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #49590 on: September 11, 2022, 10:34:07 pm »

Last time I looked it up, it seemed pretty vague for Supreme Court cases. Also, does it need to be 1st degree relation? What about a more broad "it was ok to try and overturn the election" for someone else? Precedent and whatnot.

I'm also just reading today that his wife is well-connected to the groups that lobbied him for the abortion ruling.

I think it's clear that the GOP just injects the most corrupt partisan judges they can into the court and that it's no longer reasonable to consider them.legitimate.

Actually, Biden played Kingmaker to put Thomas on the Court.
It wasn't just the Republicans on this one...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49591 on: September 12, 2022, 03:56:21 am »

Biden played "kingmaker" for Thomas? If that is true, explain this:

Quote from: New York Times, October 16, 1991
Following is the 52-to-48 roll call by which the Senate voted tonight to confirm Judge Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court.

A yes vote was a vote to confirm. Voting yes were 11 Democrats and 41 Republicans. Voting no were 46 Democrats and 2 Republicans.
Alabama: Heflin (D) No;Shelby (D) Yes. Alaska: Murkowski (R) Yes; Stevens (R) Yes. Arizona: DeConcini (D) Yes; McCain (R) Yes. Arkansas: Bumpers (D) No; Pryor (D) No. California: Cranston (D) No; Seymour (R) Yes. Colorado: Brown (R) Yes; Wirth (D) No. Connecticut: Dodd (D) No; Lieberman (D) No. Delaware: Biden (D) No; Roth (R) Yes. Florida: Graham (D) No; Mack (R) Yes. Georgia: Fowler (D) Yes; Nunn (D) Yes. Hawaii: Akaka (D) No; Inouye (D) No. Idaho: Craig (R) Yes; Symms (R) Yes. Illinois: Dixon (D) Yes; Simon (D) No. Indiana: Coats (R) Yes; Lugar (R) Yes. Iowa: Grassley (R) Yes; Harkin (D) No. Kansas: Dole (R) Yes; Kassebaum (R) Yes. Kentucky: Ford (D) No; McConnell (R) Yes. Louisiana: Breaux (D) Yes; Johnston (D) Yes. Maine: Cohen (R) Yes; Mitchell (D) No. Maryland: Mikulski (D) No; Sarbanes (D) No. Massachusetts: Kennedy (D) No; Kerry (D) No. Michigan: Levin (D) No; Riegle (D) No. Minnesota: Durenberger (R) Yes; Wellstone (D) No. Mississippi: Cochran (R) Yes; Lott (R) Yes. Missouri: Bond (R) Yes; Danforth (R) Yes. Montana: Baucus (D) No; Burns (R) Yes. Nebraska: Exon (D) Yes; Kerrey (D) No. Nevada: Bryan (D) No; Reid (D) No. New Hampshire: Rudman (R) Yes; Smith (R) Yes. New Jersey: Bradley (D) No; Lautenberg (D) No. New Mexico: Bingaman (D) No; Domenici (R) Yes. New York: D'Amato (R) Yes; Moynihan (D) No. North Carolina: Helms (R) Yes; Sanford (D) No. North Dakota: Burdick (D) No; Conrad (D) No. Ohio: Glenn (D) No; Metzenbaum (D) No. Oklahoma: Boren (D) Yes; Nickles (R) Yes. Oregon: Hatfield (R) Yes; Packwood (R) No. Pennsylvania: Specter (R) Yes; Wofford (D) No. Rhode Island: Chafee (R) Yes; Pell (D) No. South Carolina: Hollings (D) Yes; Thurmond (R) Yes. South Dakota: Daschle (D) No; Pressler (R) Yes. Tennessee: Gore (D) No; Sasser (D) No. Texas: Bentsen (D) No; Gramm (R) Yes. Utah: Garn (R) Yes; Hatch (R) Yes. Vermont: Jeffords (R) No; Leahy (D) No. Virginia: Robb (D) Yes; Warner (R) Yes. Washington: Adams (D) No; Gorton (R) Yes. West Virginia: Byrd (D) No; Rockefeller (D) No. Wisconsin: Kasten (R) Yes; Kohl (D) No. Wyoming: Simpson (R) Yes; Wallop (R) Yes.

Thomas won confirmation to the Court by a margin of four votes, with Biden voting to block him.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49592 on: September 12, 2022, 02:30:37 pm »

Facts are awfully overrated.

As the orange dumbfuck has been demonstrating today when repeatedly confessing to a crime they say the DOJ shouldn't be allowed to investigate with evidence of ANOTHER crime he committed.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49593 on: September 12, 2022, 06:00:41 pm »

Is it just me who thinks that the Democrats shouldn't have allowed a single far-right nutter on the SC? Just let the SC be a seat short for as long as it takes? Were they legally able to do this?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49594 on: September 12, 2022, 06:16:59 pm »

The problem is that the democrats are basically a coalition of "not far-right". This includes very-right people who care about far-right extremism so little that they would rather just pretend that everyone is ok and bipartisan. So we just need to vote republicans out in general until they get so small that a new party can break off from the democrats without risking giving power to republicans. Because you know the rats will jump ship when their donors don't see value in spending any more money on them.

Maybe we could also get a few more states to adopt ranked choice voting so we could have more than two parties and not worry about this in the first place.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49595 on: September 12, 2022, 06:22:01 pm »

I'm sure Trump's 4D Chess plan is to delay long enough until he gets elected again so he can't face prosecution, then pardon himself and his family for any crimes they may or may not have committed.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49596 on: September 12, 2022, 07:34:43 pm »

Is it just me who thinks that the Democrats shouldn't have allowed a single far-right nutter on the SC? Just let the SC be a seat short for as long as it takes? Were they legally able to do this?

This was 1992. Thomas's record wasn't as far to the right then as it is now, and the country as a whole was much further right than it is now. Thomas wasn't really all that extreme at the time.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49597 on: September 13, 2022, 01:32:55 pm »

Biden played "kingmaker" for Thomas? If that is true, explain this:

Quote from: New York Times, October 16, 1991
Following is the 52-to-48 roll call by which the Senate voted tonight to confirm Judge Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court.

A yes vote was a vote to confirm. Voting yes were 11 Democrats and 41 Republicans. Voting no were 46 Democrats and 2 Republicans.
Alabama: Heflin (D) No;Shelby (D) Yes. Alaska: Murkowski (R) Yes; Stevens (R) Yes. Arizona: DeConcini (D) Yes; McCain (R) Yes. Arkansas: Bumpers (D) No; Pryor (D) No. California: Cranston (D) No; Seymour (R) Yes. Colorado: Brown (R) Yes; Wirth (D) No. Connecticut: Dodd (D) No; Lieberman (D) No. Delaware: Biden (D) No; Roth (R) Yes. Florida: Graham (D) No; Mack (R) Yes. Georgia: Fowler (D) Yes; Nunn (D) Yes. Hawaii: Akaka (D) No; Inouye (D) No. Idaho: Craig (R) Yes; Symms (R) Yes. Illinois: Dixon (D) Yes; Simon (D) No. Indiana: Coats (R) Yes; Lugar (R) Yes. Iowa: Grassley (R) Yes; Harkin (D) No. Kansas: Dole (R) Yes; Kassebaum (R) Yes. Kentucky: Ford (D) No; McConnell (R) Yes. Louisiana: Breaux (D) Yes; Johnston (D) Yes. Maine: Cohen (R) Yes; Mitchell (D) No. Maryland: Mikulski (D) No; Sarbanes (D) No. Massachusetts: Kennedy (D) No; Kerry (D) No. Michigan: Levin (D) No; Riegle (D) No. Minnesota: Durenberger (R) Yes; Wellstone (D) No. Mississippi: Cochran (R) Yes; Lott (R) Yes. Missouri: Bond (R) Yes; Danforth (R) Yes. Montana: Baucus (D) No; Burns (R) Yes. Nebraska: Exon (D) Yes; Kerrey (D) No. Nevada: Bryan (D) No; Reid (D) No. New Hampshire: Rudman (R) Yes; Smith (R) Yes. New Jersey: Bradley (D) No; Lautenberg (D) No. New Mexico: Bingaman (D) No; Domenici (R) Yes. New York: D'Amato (R) Yes; Moynihan (D) No. North Carolina: Helms (R) Yes; Sanford (D) No. North Dakota: Burdick (D) No; Conrad (D) No. Ohio: Glenn (D) No; Metzenbaum (D) No. Oklahoma: Boren (D) Yes; Nickles (R) Yes. Oregon: Hatfield (R) Yes; Packwood (R) No. Pennsylvania: Specter (R) Yes; Wofford (D) No. Rhode Island: Chafee (R) Yes; Pell (D) No. South Carolina: Hollings (D) Yes; Thurmond (R) Yes. South Dakota: Daschle (D) No; Pressler (R) Yes. Tennessee: Gore (D) No; Sasser (D) No. Texas: Bentsen (D) No; Gramm (R) Yes. Utah: Garn (R) Yes; Hatch (R) Yes. Vermont: Jeffords (R) No; Leahy (D) No. Virginia: Robb (D) Yes; Warner (R) Yes. Washington: Adams (D) No; Gorton (R) Yes. West Virginia: Byrd (D) No; Rockefeller (D) No. Wisconsin: Kasten (R) Yes; Kohl (D) No. Wyoming: Simpson (R) Yes; Wallop (R) Yes.

Thomas won confirmation to the Court by a margin of four votes, with Biden voting to block him.

Biden was in charge of the Judicial Commission, and he failed to properly call ALL the witnesses that wanted to testify to the sexual harassment of Thomas.
...granted, that might have been just to limit granting legitimacy to sexual harassment claims in general, and classic covering his own liability on that front.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #49598 on: September 13, 2022, 01:35:54 pm »

It was also 30 years ago, when sexual harassment claims were taken far less seriously than now. I don't think it's evidence of Biden playing 'king-maker', but it certainly is fucked.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49599 on: September 13, 2022, 02:23:35 pm »

For some context, the Defense of Marriage Act (effectively banning same-sex marriages, and largely overturned by the S.Ct. a little under a decade ago) was passed in 1996 on wide bipartisan margins. Biden was among the Ds voting for it, too.

It was a different time socially, for sure.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49600 on: September 13, 2022, 02:36:18 pm »

It was a different time socially, for sure.

decidedly not "a gay old time"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49601 on: September 15, 2022, 06:25:51 pm »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49602 on: September 15, 2022, 06:40:19 pm »

See that’s what I thought. They’re moving illegal immigrants around the country with the promise of jobs and houses. I suppose it’s okay if the government does it?

Also, how spiteful are Floridians if they’re happy he’s set aside $12 million to do this?

Fakedit: lol it’s not even the Florida one.

How do people think the Republicans are decent people if they’re using desperate people as pawns in their politics?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49603 on: September 15, 2022, 06:50:46 pm »

Republicans sponsoring human-trafficking?
Well, yes. It's both not particularly new news, nor exactly surprising the political descendants of the dixiecrats and lost causers would be less than cautious on that particular issue.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49604 on: September 15, 2022, 09:42:13 pm »

On top of human trafficking, it's also illegal to transport illegal immigrants over state lines. I don't think Texas law enforcement has the required jurisdiction to be allowed to do this.

That DeSantis was bold enough to do this says a lot. Reminder that if you don't punish them adequately for their crimes they will do worse.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 09:44:40 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 3305 3306 [3307] 3308 3309 ... 3515