Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3330 3331 [3332] 3333 3334 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3607089 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #49965 on: November 12, 2022, 10:11:05 pm »

lol. lmao
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49966 on: November 13, 2022, 12:05:08 am »

Now all we need is Trump to split off into his own party and steal a chunk of the Reps votes.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49967 on: November 13, 2022, 09:33:29 pm »

Are there any fascist parties who were in the minority and did not seek to weaken the institutions of the state?

Yes. All of them. Not one of the successful fascist movements created the conditions they used to take power -the weakness in the German system had nothing to do with Hitler, the Spanish weakness wasn't caused by Sanjurjo, Mussolini didn't cripple Italy. None of the failed fascist movements in Britain, America, and France made any real effort to cripple those governments - they all sought to take over the thing intact.
The weakening of the institutions of the state is necessary for fascists with minority political power to rise to majority political power. You can't sell a "I'm the one who can fix it" message unless the thing needs to be fixed.

If the two routes to power, political or military, the Germans took the political and weakened the Reichstag though obstructive voting. With the Reichstag failing to pass resolutions and the street-level tensions constantly escalated beyond the post-WWI problems by NSDAP thugs, the NSDAP profited.

Mussolini didn't need to weaken the state institutions to gain majority political power. The threat of a peasant uprising had the rich people worried about losing their control over the government. Mussolini offered to be their strongman, taking the job of prime minister in exchange for controlling and suppressing the communist peasants. He brought 25k Blackshirts as a dowry to the king and proceeded to use them to commit election suppression.

Maybe this goes back to what you said earlier, that the fascist rise happened slower in Germany and usually doesn't take that long, but no military, no fast takeover. You can see this in Trump's attempts to subvert the government institutions many times to lock in political majority and only then attempting the military coup. By then, his political majority was wobbling.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49968 on: November 13, 2022, 10:05:13 pm »

There was no "weakening" of the German Reichstag in the interbellum republic, because it had no strength to begin with - the post-Kaiser state never, from day one, had the cohesion and legitimacy to actually function. There certainly wasn't any deliberate attempts to weaken it. The sort of planned "gut the state to become the state" machinations you're describing have never happened.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49969 on: November 14, 2022, 01:32:05 am »

The strike starts tomorrow. Wish me luck!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #49971 on: November 14, 2022, 05:04:55 am »

What strike?

And good luck!
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49972 on: November 14, 2022, 09:01:58 am »

Have you ever seen The Godfather?

Basically what Michael Corleone does to all the other mob bosses. Maths is brutal.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #49973 on: November 14, 2022, 10:47:33 am »

The strike starts tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Strike the Earth!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49974 on: November 14, 2022, 10:53:28 am »

It’s time to bring back….JEB!
His comeback will be SLOW AND STEADY

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49975 on: November 15, 2022, 01:42:33 am »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #49976 on: November 15, 2022, 07:27:51 am »

Good luck!
Love, scriver~

LadyBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Used to be LordBrassroast
    • View Profile
« Reply #49977 on: November 15, 2022, 01:56:05 pm »

Good luck, solidarity, stick to your guns!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49978 on: November 15, 2022, 05:16:25 pm »

Yeah, best of luck vec, to you and whoever you're running with. Even if it doesn't work out, it's a hell of a thing to have the degree of cohesion needed to try.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49979 on: November 15, 2022, 07:21:46 pm »

Kari Lake lost the governor's race to Democrat Katie Hobbes. I won't say it wasn't close but.....maybe there is hope for us after all if even the Florida of the West can come back from the brink.

Then I was doubly shocked to see that the Democratic Candidate for Arizona Secretary of State beat the Trumper Incumbent rival Mark Finnchem.

Who is the guy Last Week Tonight directly called out (along with Kari Lake) for lowkey admitting they would use the full power of their office to make sure Republicans won. (Finnchem said in an interview once that "if I'd been Secretary of State in 2020, it would have gone for Trump.") Finnchem was an absolute weirdo too. He had a device on his desk with a button that would just repeat him shouting NO.

So both politicians at the top of the hierarchy in AZ were ousted by Democrats. Now we'll see if they have any more shit to pull or if they'll go quietly.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 07:48:46 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 3330 3331 [3332] 3333 3334 ... 3515