Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3333 3334 [3335] 3336 3337 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3534291 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #50010 on: November 18, 2022, 08:39:02 pm »

If I was to hazard a guess, maybe a law about lawfully respecting peoples' marriages outside of the licensee state? That would be a nice thing.

That's already in the Constitution. "Full faith and credit" clause.

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50011 on: November 18, 2022, 09:05:11 pm »

Dostoevsky, one thing to not forget about Murdock is the time he got ripped off for buying several dozen fake Hitler diaries.  (Because he's a Nazi.)  None of his decisions are ever for good.  He'll only support a Democratic politician is if said politician is a Russian plant or Nazi themselves.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50012 on: November 18, 2022, 09:14:08 pm »

Also, the way the Supreme Court works is they'll need a fresh case.  So passing a new law like that sort of resets the clock, and ensures the SC can't override it for a year or so until a case makes its way up.  It was how red-state legislatures negated Roe for so long.. they'd just pass a new repression law and it'd take a year or so to get it overridden, then passed another law to replace that one.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50013 on: November 18, 2022, 11:11:42 pm »

Dostoevsky, one thing to not forget about Murdock is the time he got ripped off for buying several dozen fake Hitler diaries.  (Because he's a Nazi.)  None of his decisions are ever for good.  He'll only support a Democratic politician is if said politician is a Russian plant or Nazi themselves.

I included that bit because I thought it was worth a laugh, not because I thought there was actually a chance of it happening. That said, he probably would support a Democratic politician, just if they adopted all the Republican policies he likes and decried the people he decries. A "moderate."

As to S.Ct. and 'fresh case', preliminary injunctions are intended to get around that sort of end-run and sometimes succeed. The court system can act pretty fast indeed if they consider it necessary ('pretty fast' being within a few days) and to deal with what they may consider a clear flouting of the law. Now for more political situations it can clearly get more messy...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50014 on: November 19, 2022, 12:11:38 am »

<<Last edit: Today at 12:10:07 am by the US Supreme Court as per official injunction>>

...Darn, I fiddled with it too long - Chief Justice Anthony Scalia

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #50015 on: November 19, 2022, 04:54:57 am »

If I was to hazard a guess, maybe a law about lawfully respecting peoples' marriages outside of the licensee state? That would be a nice thing.

That's already in the Constitution. "Full faith and credit" clause.

I was under impression that there was issues with states not respecting spouses rights for out-of-state licenses?

On a side note, what do you Americans use for language regarding states visavi other states, like I used out-of-state there? Is it out-of-state? Interstate?
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50016 on: November 19, 2022, 08:09:18 am »

Well, as I understand it, you start out with the general demeanour of "damnyankee", or as relatively appropriate to who is referencing whom, before drilling down into whatever derogative term your own cheese-loving state (great cheese, food of the gods!) thinks about those particular people from another cheese-loving state (awful cheese, foulest curdlings inferior milk!) and construct your choice of adjectives around that, remembering to make the followup spittoon ring clear from the high-velocity glob of expectoration.

...but I might just have picked up the wrong sort of ideas from typical 'Merkin cultural exports that land here in Good Old Blighty. ;)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #50017 on: November 19, 2022, 05:38:42 pm »

Worst carolina is worst. The rest are irrelevant. Irrelevant!
And don't get me started on the piedmont. Those tech triangle elites and their disturbingly flat lands...
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50018 on: November 19, 2022, 05:48:18 pm »

On a side note, what do you Americans use for language regarding states visavi other states, like I used out-of-state there? Is it out-of-state? Interstate?

Out of state is the one I most commonly hear, but it's pretty rare for it to matter save in specific legal instances.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50019 on: November 19, 2022, 06:47:37 pm »

Barricades expected to rise Monday.

Also, here is an interesting perspective on the whole "Alito's a leaker" situation.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50020 on: November 19, 2022, 07:27:15 pm »

Worst carolina is worst. The rest are irrelevant. Irrelevant!
And don't get me started on the piedmont. Those tech triangle elites and their disturbingly flat lands...

I got priced out of Asheville and had to go back!!  It's not my fault ;_;

Also I started giving Worst Carolina a break since they get rolled by so many natural disasters.  It's still worst but only objectively, not like a rival.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #50021 on: November 19, 2022, 07:29:16 pm »

I got priced out of Asheville and had to go back!!  It's not my fault ;_;

RIP f'real. Hopefully the same won't happen to me since I was born here. :(
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50022 on: November 19, 2022, 10:34:29 pm »

One more post, sorry: for anyone who was interested in the Shinzo Abe situation, the government seems (?) to be siding with the shooter.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50023 on: November 19, 2022, 10:52:23 pm »

Don't think that counts as Ameripol, but thank you for sharing anyways because that's an interesting twist.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #50024 on: November 20, 2022, 12:36:52 am »

welp.

Trump is back on Twitter..
Pages: 1 ... 3333 3334 [3335] 3336 3337 ... 3511