Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3358 3359 [3360] 3361 3362 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3598961 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #50385 on: January 26, 2023, 04:01:59 pm »

H.R. 25, "To promote freedom, fairness, and economic opportunity by repealing the income tax and other taxes, abolishing the Internal Revenue Service, and enacting a national sales tax to be administered primarily by the
States."

State-controlled 30% taxes? Yeah... that won't inspire 50 corrupt fiefdom-building operations.

Policies aside, the politics aren't popular with even that high a percentage of Republican politicians - likely won't even get a house vote, let alone Senate one or presidential signature. (Policies not aside it's a demonstrably-regressive tax system that would create all sorts of problems.)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50386 on: January 26, 2023, 04:17:54 pm »

I mean, there'd be riots within a few weeks, probably. This country could not take an overnight 30% hike in across the board expenses, even if it wasn't fuckstupid horseshit wildly shifting the burden of taxation onto the poorer parts of the economy. The country would grind to a near fucking complete halt.

Which is the point of the legislation in question, of course, if could pass -- the folks proposing it want to destroy the US outright, and rebuild it into a regressive shitpile with them on top and the rest of us omnifucked forever.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #50387 on: January 26, 2023, 04:39:24 pm »

It's like they took the European idea of high taxes, and then instead of applying those high rates to provide services for free and cover infrastructure, they're just like "lol, free money for whatever corrupt fuck gets elected next."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #50388 on: January 26, 2023, 05:56:49 pm »

No, a National Flat Tax has been an obsession of the right for a very long time. Until fairly recently, it would have been a massive tax cut for most wealthy people, and looks like a push for most lower-income people (because most people at lower income levels have a nominal income tax rate higher than they actually pay due to deductions).

The movement really got started in the post Eisenhower years when the top brackets were in the 70-90 percent range, and is one of those things that's lodged very deeply in the rhetoric.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #50389 on: January 26, 2023, 08:39:15 pm »

I feel like its ironic that a true flat tax would actually be *more* fair and more egalitarian then our current system, which is the ultra rich paying literally nothing.

Of course it would likely not work that way in the US and end up being sabotaged so rich people find it easier to end up paying nothing, but still amusing that its functionally a actual progressive idea at the moment.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50390 on: January 26, 2023, 09:11:23 pm »

Eh the old “flat tax is a fair tax” argument, which it obviously isn’t.

I mean I spend far less than 100% of my income per year, so the equivalent tax rate would have to be insane for it to be revenue neutral.

I think the math is it would need to be almost 40% on my spending to be close to what I pay in tax compared to what I spend.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50391 on: January 26, 2023, 09:21:41 pm »

I feel like its ironic that a true flat tax would actually be *more* fair and more egalitarian then our current system, which is the ultra rich paying literally nothing.
A flat sales tax would not be that even a little.

Regardless, more fair and more egalitarian doesn't mean it would be either of those things. Flat tax is a boondoggle from the folks getting the most out of society trying to dodge responsibility for it, always has been, only way it wouldn't be is if all members of society actually were equal, and we damn sure ain't anywhere near that, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #50392 on: January 26, 2023, 09:34:08 pm »

The entire point of a progressive tax is that you can't raise sufficient capital to run a real government on a flat tax - the lower-income brackets can only bear so much, so you need to take more from those who have more. A fair flat tax is fundamentally oxymoronic.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50393 on: January 26, 2023, 10:54:27 pm »

In the interest of being short and snappy, and to prevent double-posting, replacing my monster "Tax proposal" post with something else entirely...

George Santos potentially has another undeclared truth to 'drag' from his past..?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 03:52:13 am by Starver »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50394 on: January 27, 2023, 09:50:58 am »

In the interest of being short and snappy, and to prevent double-posting, replacing my monster "Tax proposal" post with something else entirely...

George Santos potentially has another undeclared truth to 'drag' from his past..?

"I was young and had fun at a festival," Mr Santos, 34, insisted to the pack of reporters chasing after him at the airport on Saturday.

More evidence has since circulated, further corroborating that the performer known to friends in the Rio de Janeiro area as "Kitara Ravache" is in fact the newly elected member of Congress.
Well now, normally I just roll my eyes at politician hypocrisy but this is entertaining hypocrisy

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50395 on: January 27, 2023, 10:13:05 am »

The napkin contains Kim's Trump trading card deck building strategy., of course it's classified it's beyond meta.
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #50396 on: January 27, 2023, 11:42:18 am »

It's such a fantastically out there turn of events.
Love, scriver~

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50397 on: January 27, 2023, 11:49:31 am »

It really isn't all that out there. Republican politicians in particular are depressingly predictable in accusing enemies of doing what they themselves have done, and Santos is a pathological liar and hypocrite. Nothing would surprise me at this point.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #50398 on: January 27, 2023, 11:57:18 am »

Who knew that, when the Republicans wholeheartedly embraced a grifter, it would spawn an entire new generation of grifters to try the same shit.

If I ever have a conversation with a conservative about "values", I'm just going to laugh and say "George Santos" to every reply until they have the basic common decency to get rid of him.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #50399 on: January 27, 2023, 12:03:16 pm »

If I ever have a conversation with a conservative about "values", I'm just going to laugh and say "George Santos" to every reply until they have the basic common decency to get rid of him.

If only that would work, but hypocrisy is the point for most of them by now.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 3358 3359 [3360] 3361 3362 ... 3515