Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3359 3360 [3361] 3362 3363 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3533258 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #50400 on: January 27, 2023, 12:29:08 pm »

One could wonder if this changes what they think about who is reading books to their children...

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50401 on: January 27, 2023, 12:58:25 pm »

One could wonder if this changes what they think about who is reading books to their children...
no
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50402 on: January 27, 2023, 04:40:58 pm »

They admitted the only reason they even talk about restricting transitioning for kids or concern about drag queens is because it is distracting us from their goal of getting rid of trans people.

They're fairly openly genocidal, if you're defending their arguments you are a piece of shit and should own up to it or do better.

Hell, Santos is fairly typical of republicunts these days given people just shared him "joking" about wanting to kill "jews and blacks mostly" so, there's that now.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50403 on: January 27, 2023, 11:25:44 pm »

It would be a nice change of pace to discuss political realities.

George Santos should be removed from Congress. Even some Republicans have admitted that much.

But House Speaker McCarthy barely got the job, and the Republicans have Control over Santos (they think). Plus, his removal means an unknown replacement, maybe even a Democrat.

So this situation will resolve itself the way it always resolves itself: Either the voters will keep George Santos, or (more likely) he will be voted out in two years. He might also piss off Republicans and get stabbed hard. I secretly hope for that more than anything.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #50404 on: January 27, 2023, 11:33:12 pm »

He’s being investigated by the House Ethics Committee and I think McCarthy has suggested he’ll be told to stand down if he’s found guilty of breaking the rules

Considering he broke the rules prior to becoming a congressperson though… probably nothing will happen.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50405 on: February 14, 2023, 09:57:04 am »

So, Nikki Haley has thrown her name into the hat...

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50406 on: February 14, 2023, 05:36:44 pm »

So, Nikki Haley has thrown her name into the hat...
Maybe she'll make it long enough to do some photo ops of her barbecuing in Iowa before she packs up and goes home.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50407 on: February 14, 2023, 05:39:05 pm »

It'll probably be Trumpy again... :-\

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50409 on: February 14, 2023, 10:56:46 pm »

DeSantis is the only one who could mount any decent challenge to Trump and I remain unconvinced he's going to run.

And if it is, Trump's plan for a 2nd term reportedly includes firing squads, hangings, and group executions
Quote from: supra
[...]a new report from Rolling Stone, which alleges Trump has begun polling his advisers on whether he should bring back firing squads, hangings, and even the guillotine should he win in 2024.
Frankly I'd prefer the guillotine to what we have now. Despite its inherent bloodiness and its connection to horrible historical figures and periods, in the spirit of the Enlightenment it was designed to be as quick and painless as possible. Gravity drops the blade, your head's gone, and it's all over.

I expect any chance of political implementation of the guillotine outside of campaign rhetoric, however, to be about zero.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50410 on: February 14, 2023, 11:15:58 pm »

DeSantis is the only one who could mount any decent challenge to Trump and I remain unconvinced he's going to run.

And if it is, Trump's plan for a 2nd term reportedly includes firing squads, hangings, and group executions
Quote from: supra
[...]a new report from Rolling Stone, which alleges Trump has begun polling his advisers on whether he should bring back firing squads, hangings, and even the guillotine should he win in 2024.
Frankly I'd prefer the guillotine to what we have now. Despite its inherent bloodiness and its connection to horrible historical figures and periods, in the spirit of the Enlightenment it was designed to be as quick and painless as possible. Gravity drops the blade, your head's gone, and it's all over.

I expect any chance of political implementation of the guillotine outside of campaign rhetoric, however, to be about zero.

I suspect DeSantis and Trump will at least go to convention.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/21/politics/republican-national-convention-2024-dates/index.html

As for acceptable methods of administering the death penalty:
1) Firings squads are probably viable, but the question becomes who fires upon the convicted civilians.  That practicality might remove it.
2) Hangings have been found to violate the 8th Amendment against Cruel and Unusual Punishment too many times to be viable.
3) Never heard of Americans using the Guillotine.  Sounds like Frenchie Commie stuff (it kinda was). Ergo, probably not gonna happen.

The Federal Government can determine how to execute those who break Federal Laws, or State Laws over state lines. Which is the small, high profile cases.
Vast majority of cases would be determined by the States alone.  I think it is fundamentally the State's right to determine what means to use to kill those in their jurisdiction who violate their laws.

The current Death Penalty Jurisprudence will not allow Death Penalty for non-murder non-treason offenses.  So that stuff about death penalty for drug dealers is crap, however drug dealers who are part of an organization where one member killed someone are totally vulnerable to the death penalty, even now if the drugs went over state lines.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #50411 on: February 15, 2023, 12:05:45 am »

I've read the guillotine is actually less painful than the leathel injection that is standard practice in the US states which have death penalties. That could also be bullshit, because...well it makes the death penalty sound scarier, which is what everyone wants.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #50412 on: February 15, 2023, 12:58:53 am »

The current Death Penalty Jurisprudence will not allow Death Penalty for non-murder non-treason offenses.  So that stuff about death penalty for drug dealers is crap, however drug dealers who are part of an organization where one member killed someone are totally vulnerable to the death penalty, even now if the drugs went over state lines.

Very unlikely. Even in murder cases, the standards for capital punishment are fairly narrow. Felony Murder almost never qualifies in real life, and Conspiracy To Commit Murder only edges in when there's some particular depravity to the crime.

Also, murder is a state level offense over which the Federal government (outside of SCOTUS on Constitutional provisions) has no power whatsoever. (You did mention that, but it bears reinforcing because it isn't very common understanding).
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50413 on: February 15, 2023, 10:52:32 am »

I've read the guillotine is actually less painful than the leathel injection that is standard practice in the US states which have death penalties. That could also be bullshit, because...well it makes the death penalty sound scarier, which is what everyone wants.
That's true, as far as I'm aware. Lethal injection isn't a standardized practice across the country to begin with, and it's generally optimized to make the process look peaceful from the outside -- above and beyond the regular fuckups in application, it commonly involves chemicals that are actually pretty fucking painful, it's just (again, when the process isn't fucked up beyond its baseline) they're also sedated/paralyzed to the point they can't outwardly react.

Lots of execution methods are less painful than US lethal injections, basically. The injections just don't look it (except, of course, when they're fucked up -- this bears repeating for the third time because it's not uncommon).

If you're going for painless, there's some form of asphyxiation used for euthanasia in parts of europe (I forget the details, but I think it involves methane or something; give a google for suicide pods, iirc) that is literally painless, on top of being quick and cheap. It's not available for use in the US mostly because the companies involved in producing it refuse to sell when the purpose for its use is state sanctioned murder. Nevermind that the gigantic fucking massive issues with US capital punishment means gassing people that have too goddamn good odds of not deserving to be there isn't exactly a good look.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50414 on: February 15, 2023, 11:49:54 am »

I think nitrogen asphyxiation could be a thing. Our body can't really have any feasible reaction to it. Unlike CO2, we are supposed to be breathing a lot of it, already. Nor is there generally any reason to naturally encounter any excess of it, so no rational reason to select for bodies that can recognise dangerous amounts and kick in the flight-or-fight responses.

If the body's response to lower oxygen (as more 'inert' gas takes up the balance) is muted by the very effects of the lowered oxygen, then it might be the 'kindest' way to go. I'm sure there were some accidental deaths of this kind, not awfully long ago, with cleaners going into grain-silos/something and succumbing to the unvented pool of preservative atmosphere or similar.

Though a lot of people vehemently for the death-penalty may be rather more in favour of an 'unkind' method. If you explained to them that the guillotine is pretty much instantaneous (give or take those few moments where the head might be able to blink or mouth something - as reported, at least), that kind of person may well decide that they'd prefer feeding feet-first into an industrial-grade salami-slicer instead.
Pages: 1 ... 3359 3360 [3361] 3362 3363 ... 3511