Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3361 3362 [3363] 3364 3365 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3595655 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #50430 on: February 18, 2023, 12:28:53 am »

Is stone kidney stones?
I think it refers to skin conditions that can cause hard masses to form on the skin, reflecting that General Doctors shouldn't even do minor surgery.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50431 on: February 18, 2023, 01:08:37 am »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #50432 on: February 18, 2023, 03:15:55 am »

I mean, yeah. Rupert Murdoch hasn’t built a media empire by selling the truth. Kelvin MacKenzie is a fuck huge example of that.

Even when his papers do report the truth, it doesn’t necessarily mean it was come by legally. Hacking the phone of a murdered school girl is barely scratching the surface of the depravity in which his “journalists” engage.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50433 on: February 18, 2023, 09:17:32 am »

However, I did like the part about having to teach relatives of their teacher how to be doctors without cost.  Talk about stuff that got edited out over the years....

Wait you mean that, even way back then, they realized that you shouldn't artificially restrict the supply of health care?

I really wish the US would actually implement health care reforms: de-couple health insurance from employment, health insurance rules have to be nation-wide, and create a new hierarchy of health care licensing so that it's far easier to get "general practice" doctors and you only need a decade of training for the specialties, so we actually address the cost pressures by increasing supply of health care providers.

Also fix the ridiculous paperwork overhead requirements which drive the massive consolidation in health care systems; talk about businesses that need to come under the antitrust lens...

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50434 on: February 18, 2023, 04:35:57 pm »

People talk about the US wasting money on other things instead of having free healthcare. In fact the US spends a lot of money on healthcare, it's just that so much of that money goes straight to parasites who artificially inflate prices.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50435 on: February 18, 2023, 05:57:14 pm »

I miss the days when Democrats were Trust Busters instead of Corporate Stooges. Biden has a chance to follow in Teddy Roosevelt's footsteps. I'm not holding my breath.
https://thehill.com/lobbying/3862071-apple-flexes-lobbying-power-as-apple-watch-ban-comes-before-biden-next-week/amp/

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50436 on: February 18, 2023, 06:29:58 pm »

I wish Dems stopped worrying so much about "political capital" and catering to everyone's sensibilities in the face of a side that couldn't give less of a shit about either. Use your fucking powers for which you have been elected to be responsible for once.

Biden at least did loan forgiveness and pulled out of Afghanistan without worrying about Republicans twisting themselves into pretzels over it, so he got some of the idea already.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #50437 on: February 18, 2023, 11:39:47 pm »

I miss the days when Democrats were Trust Busters instead of Corporate Stooges. Biden has a chance to follow in Teddy Roosevelt's footsteps. I'm not holding my breath.
https://thehill.com/lobbying/3862071-apple-flexes-lobbying-power-as-apple-watch-ban-comes-before-biden-next-week/amp/

Same here pal, though Biden has accomplished much that I support as well. Depending on who runs in the primaries I might jump ships temporarily, however, once that is complete I'd have little choice to go with Biden were he the nominee as seems to be likely, especially after the primary changes (I thought perhaps they should all be on the same day) if he is able to maintain support in Democratic demographics in the early states.
Spoiler: On the primary changes (click to show/hide)

Here are things that displease me a great deal. The Moderate PAC isn't a big deal, the amount raised apears to be low. However I think that swamping allies in this way isn't a wise move, winning primaries on the issues is a better route and one that moderates are fully capable of without getting their hands dirty. The last link of the three is particularly disturbing, greedy, callous, and short sighted. Note that it is the Intercept, which lost some credibility not long ago, but still has what appear to be solid articles at times as well. It leans a little farther left than say msnbc as well, just as a heads-up.
https://theintercept.com/2023/01/25/jeff-yass-megadonor-moderate-pac/
https://www.axios.com/2023/01/20/moderate-pac-progressives-2024-elections
https://theintercept.com/2023/02/03/china-americas-frontier-fund/

The UK may have something similar to the motivation behind the Moderate PAC shaping up as well:
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/starmer-tells-labour-left-back-me-or-leave-343627/
Late Edit after re-reading the tone of the link above: Note that the crackdown on anti-semitism I have no complaints about. I am just unsure of the scale of the problems at the time in Labour (though really any scale at a given time is something to be countered, so if somehow my lack of knowledge is risking that I'd appreciate informative links about it), as evidence on the wiki for the issue is on both sides on Corbyn's page.

I guess that is, though not on the specific issue Labour is grappling with necessarily, what to expect once the Trumpists complete the disintegration of the GOP and the remnants of the moderate GOP are welcomed as they should be into the Democrats.

If that were to occur,  it's maybe time for a new faction! Hopefully one that runs on fixing things the moderate democrats seem to have little interest and will for, or if not that then ability to rectify. I suppose the GOP might turn around at some point, but it seems like the GOP moderates are being treated by the Trumpists with a much more severe form of what lefties sometimes are by some allies, and at some point I assume it becomes less trying to win than trying to defeat the Trumpists. That's sort of how I've operated the last few years, though also in regards to Trumpism and not in the Dparty, so I haven't raised as big a fuss as I normally would here on this forums about some things I've seen that troubled me. However Trumpism remains a much bigger problem IMO and I'm maintaining. I also learned from Obama's time that criticism bordering on undercutting is not the best practice when it leads to a Trump rather than your desired results.

There is also the age demographic that would entail serious changes to Republican policy in the coming decades if it wishes to remain competitve...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 06:10:38 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50438 on: February 19, 2023, 09:22:48 am »

Opinions vary wildly about Corbyn. That's very much part of the problem. And he got a lot of populist support when he was "the best alternative to everything else" (like Nick Clegg was?), but that of course was a very broad church[1] that was almost certainly going to schism at some point, if it hadn't shed the crucial support before he even got to the point of being in power (and wasn't even going to get Clegg's chance)... I don't think I can even begin to explain where it went wrong, without it being a highly subjective viewpoint either of my own or my impression of someone else's very different opinion.

(His brother has clearly whacko tendencies, of a different and rather definite sort. I'm not even going to start to present his case. Or predict what hypothetical PM Jeremy would have done about/for him in 2020+... That's an alt-history that also has so many disparate possibilities, according to what luggage you already bring to the argument.)

And I can see so many parallels over on the left hand side of the Pond. Though in a really twisted way.

[1] The most right-wing person I personally know was a strong supporter. (Or 'supporter', hard to tell with him.)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50439 on: February 19, 2023, 04:35:39 pm »

Reasonably sure the Presidential election will be a Trump vs. Biden grudge match. I suspect Biden will win, again.

The real question is: What next?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #50440 on: February 19, 2023, 04:43:05 pm »

Another domestic terrorist attack, obviously.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50441 on: February 19, 2023, 05:38:46 pm »

Another domestic terrorist attack, obviously.
LOL

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #50442 on: February 20, 2023, 02:46:05 am »

populist

LOL I forgot about that completely, I didn't really follow it much. I pretty much just read the wiki on Corbyn and didn't dig up old articles and such. Thanks Starver, you saved me some idle research. Well disregard the paragraph about the UK. I had a feeling that was probably not something with enough reason to complain about the more I thought about it. I apologize.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50443 on: February 20, 2023, 06:47:25 am »

Oh, don't take me as the authority that would overturn the need to delve into back-issues of every paper from the Daily Star to the Daily Mail, etc and then try to find the common truths behind all the biases therein.

But I do say that, like the significant anti-Cameron bit of the Brexit Vote and the Anti-May vote at her own disasterous election, he and his Momentum 'supporters' might have been dominated by table-flippers more than anything more serious. And (for various reasons), his battle against Johnson was doomed once acts (mostly?) of ommission had tainted his and his party's standing in the wider electorate.

Though I suspect that many table-flippers just decided that Johnson was as likely to table-flip on their behalf as anyone else, especially with regards to the big table-flipping issue of the last few years (pre-Covid and Ukraine, at least). If anything, that's credit to the Johnsonian rallying machine, as much as a problem with the core-Corbynite faithful.

It's at this stage that I might suggest that it almost doesn't matter what any political party does (thougy they can make horrible mistakes to their own detriment), there's a sort of 'Higgs soup' or political particles moving around between the various positions transfering the relative effects of mass and energy in a way that no traditional political structure can really control. (But maybe someone, anyone, with the time and effort to guide a sock-puppet army around on social media sites?) Or at least shake the dice a lot, hoping for more favourable numbers to turn up each time.. (Or shake them again!)

((Did I get back to Ameripol, there? I intended to, at some point.))

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #50444 on: February 20, 2023, 04:26:07 pm »

So what do you guys think of Yeonmi Park?
Pages: 1 ... 3361 3362 [3363] 3364 3365 ... 3515