Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 [356] 357 358 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3596654 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Neonivek, it's intended to pay back ill-gotten gains. But go watch the John Oliver episode on Civil Forfeiture. Things are never that simple. Cops are rolling random people for cash, without any hint of wrongdoing, then spending it on a bunch crooked perks for the same cops doing the cash-grabbing. All perfectly legally.

I know, you said that earlier and it was interesting stuff. I said I didn't respond to you by saying that I made that mistake.

Though now that I know John Oliver spoke about it, maybe I should watch that. He has a very good way of breaking down things and the greater overall impact.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For those who don't want to sit through a video, entertaining as it is:

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/heres-what-police-bought-with-civil-forfeiture-2014-10?r=US&IR=T

This cites a Washington Post investigation in 2014 which tracked 43000 cases of civil forfeiture amounting to $2.5 billion since 2008, and in 81% of cases there were never any actual charges laid on anyone involved in the cases. Local police who are doing the seizures are reportedly allowed to keep up to 80% of the seized assets to spend at the discretion of their local precinct. Which might involve partying, according to other reports.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I advise you not to argue with Neo, he likes to make up meanings for words to support his points.

That was uncalled for... I just never responded because I was like "Ohhh, opps. I thought it was when they take assets and things like that in order to subtract from ill-gotten gains"
I advise you not to argue with Neo, he likes to make up meanings for words to support his points.

You need to cut that shit out right now. I've seen you direct sneers like that at neonivek several times now. It's not okay.

Alright, I'll cut it out when I'm not arguing with him. Although I stand by what I said, Neo, all the time you're not arguing with people, you're arguing past them because your definition of the words is completely different from the commonly-accepted definitions.

Admittedly, I was a little pissed off when I made that post reading your exchange with sluissa. I know nothing about the laws regarding civil forfeiture, stop-and-search, and detention without charge in the US, but I don't go straight to giving people bad legal advice while snidely implying they're fools for getting 'tricked' by the police. Perhaps sluissa should have sued the police department, and lost thousands fighting an obviously unwinnable case? (Although any lawyer with basic decency would inform him that the complaint didn't have any legal grounds to stand on with twenty minutes of reading.) Or perhaps he should have flipped them the bird, told them that they didn't have the right to search or detain him without probable cause/reasonable suspicion (as you first said), and moonwalked back to his car? Spreading this misinformation isn't just rude, it could have actual physical consequences for sluissa if he'd opted for the latter course of action. If you don't know anything about a subject, don't jump straight to giving advice and opinions without reading up first.

United Forenia Forever!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not to go back into this too much, but basically what Azzuro is saying. By the letter of the law, is Neo correct? Possibly. But beyond my initial decline to have my car searched, I was trying to be as polite and cooperative with them as possible. I gain nothing from being an ass to them and trying any of that dorm room lawyer bullshit on them. Even if I"m legally in my right, they also have plenty of legal ways to make my life miserable for a little while. Ranging from just holding me for a couple of hours on the side of the road, to the 24 hour hold, all the way up to tying me up in court with all the associated court costs. At the time my car was a beater, and while I wouldn't classify it as unsafe or anything like that, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't SOMETHING on there they could have called me on and written me an actual ticket for rather than just letting me go on my way after they spent 5 minutes shuffling through the trash on my floorboard.

For the record, the only reason I even declined that search was because one of my relatives was a cop way back in the 50s. And was associated with in some way or another many crooked cops who would go so far as to plant evidence on people in order to take their stuff. Carried a second throwaway gun on their ankle in case they "had to shoot someone off the record." Real movie stuff. I grew up with these stories, and was always warned at equal amounts, "don't do anything to make a cop hate you" but also "don't let them search without a warrant". Combining those two, making them mad while getting searched, while probably not QUITE as dangerous as back in the 50s, is still a good way to make yourself miserable.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

There's always the classic "arrested for resisting arrest".  I'm sure that, in theory, citizens are supposed to have certain rights to resist unlawful orders... but in practice, that doesn't seem to hold up.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

I don't know how to explain it without it sounding like some sort of stoner zen proverb, but without actively reminding yourself of it, know that you belong exactly where you are, and people don't question it. Additionally, a police officer should be treated like any other stranger in funny clothes carrying a gun: with polite caution tempered by the awareness that there are situations where this funnily dressed stranger could end up shooting you without serious repercussions on their end, avoid those situations.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Civil forfeiture should just be banned flat out. I'd rather drug kingpins get to keep their ill-gotten gains than be robbed by badged highwaymen, and anything less than a ban will be easily subverted. According to that wiki article, even in places where it isn't allowed they sometimes get around it by keeping things as "evidence", refuse to give them back, and sell them after 120 days as unclaimed property.
There's criminal forfeiture for drug kingpins.

Civil forfeiture should go die in a hole.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 12:52:03 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

while snidely implying they're fools for getting 'tricked' by the police

Why do people add stuff to what I say?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The officer tricked you Sluissa very likely (and made you accidentally agree to being detained)
Tell me, Neo, what did they add?

I am pretty sure, but don't quote me on this, that they differ in a subtle way.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 02:01:45 pm by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

*chuckles*
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

yet somehow these scum are still in office.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And the Republicans in the House and Senate are saying "No way in hell that is tax reform. How are you going to pay for all of that?". The 'How do you pay for all of that?' is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, problems with the WH proposal.

And of course, Democrats are refusing to work on tax reform until Trump releases his tax returns.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 06:04:29 pm by smjjames »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yet somehow these scum are still in office.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks for pulling that meme out... again... How about you look into that bag of yours and find a likable candidate that could run for us last year instead.
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 [356] 357 358 ... 3515