Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3534452 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

The question is: in these days of hyper partisanship and millions spent on attack ads, can ANY candidate be popular?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

By definition, more Americans preferred Hillary to Trump.

More Americans prefer getting stabbed over getting hit by a bus.  Is getting stabbed popular in America?  I think most would take a third option, if one was given.

Several third options were given.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

She barely won the popular vote against a candidate so unpopular that the Simpsons used him as president in a peek into the future episode because they thought it would be absurd and impossible.

Same time though she lost mostly due to how her opponent performed his politics (Grandiose nothing slogan promises is how she lost last time), the fact that any controversy on Trump actually counted against Hillary, AND even then it took a controversy at JUST the right time to play into American paranoia.

Not to mention... Trump slandered the brains out of Hillary... and Hillary is a slander intensifier...

I mean... People take things that are completely not her fault and not within her control... as her fault. In fact RIGHT NOW the worse Trump does, the more it seems to indicate to people that Hillary is an even worse politician and would have done worse as a president.

Or rather... Donald Trump was actually the most difficult opponent she could have had in the lineup... not the easiest.

Not to mention that most of the other candidates would have likely lost in the exact same way anyhow. Bernie wouldn't have stood a chance. He is too clean.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 01:05:36 pm by Neonivek »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

To fill out the 8 1/2 by 11 ballot paper, sure.  You can ask for the tofu on the menu but today the chef is only cooking chicken and beef.

Johnson got his one moment to screw up on TV and that was about it for him, not that he had much chance anyway.  Where was he at the debates?  Oh right.  Third parties aren't invited.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To fill out the 8 1/2 by 11 ballot paper, sure.  You can ask for the tofu on the menu but today the chef is only cooking chicken and beef.

Johnson got his one moment to screw up on TV and that was about it for him, not that he had much chance anyway.  Where was he at the debates?  Oh right.  Third parties aren't invited.

You said that given the choice, most Americans would have chosen a third option. They had the choice.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Had a fair few more choices if you count the primaries. Pretending anyone but Hillary would of beat Trump, I mean how many were there again in the Republican Primary? He was voted in over a fair few other options.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

You said that given the choice, most Americans would have chosen a third option. They had the choice.

A choice no one has ever had any faith in.

Had a fair few more choices if you count the primaries. Pretending anyone but Hillary would of beat Trump, I mean how many were there again in the Republican Primary? He was voted in over a fair few other options.

Closed primaries.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

He wasn't chosen, he was literally the only one left by convention time. Everyone else in the pile of candidates dropped.

Meanwhile, the dems put all their eggs in one basket and got about as good a result as you expect from such ideas.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

All the Republican candidates besides Trump dropped out because they couldn't get support from the voters. The democrats picked the only candodate that consistently got over 50% support from the Democratic voters.

I'm tired of people acting like the DNC and GOP are tyrannical and corrupt for picking the candidates their constituents want. They can't just make universally-praised politicians appear out of thin air.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All the Republican candidates besides Trump dropped out because they couldn't get support from the voters. The democrats picked the only candodate that consistently got over 50% support from the Democratic voters.

I'm tired of people acting like the DNC and GOP are tyrannical and corrupt for picking the candidates their constituents want. They can't just make universally-praised politicians appear out of thin air.

Deep in their necrogenelabs underneath the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans, they're working on just that. With luck, the undead-chimera-monstrosities will both be released during the same election cycle, to allow them to fight each other. That way we'll just have the battleground states reduced to ruble instead of the entire country.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

They can do better than act like the party who basically only are messing with healthcare to spite the former president, however.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They can do better than act like the party who basically only are messing with healthcare to spite the former president, however.
Dude, this is the party that can't even agree on how to mess with healthcare to spite the former president.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Meanwhile, if you make up enough fake bullshit you can apparently get whatever you want passed.

Because obviously letting the lobbyists pick their own copyright office appointee instead of someone who might actually have a clue about the position is a smart idea.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I do not consider this to be true with the way the US election system is set up.

The system has a huge spoiler effect, where you are hurting the major candidate you agree with the most if you are voting third party.

A sane Democratic system like France almost completely solves this by having a 2 round election.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Correct me if I'm remembering this wrong, but doesn't the French system still have a potential for issues with strategic voting? In that if your first choice is unlikely to win the first round, and your second choice may or may not win the first round, you're incentivised to vote for your second choice over your first one so that in the second round you're more likely to have at least someone you're willing to vote for?  Still better then the american system of course, but unless I fucked up my recollection of the french system it's not almost completely solved.
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 3511