Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3595460 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Those numbers are from right after she left as Secretary of State. Most people are fine and happy to give a little congratulations and good job to someone they see as retiring and not coming back, as she said she was doing.

Almost as soon as she threw her hat in the ring again for president though, things became a lot less stable.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-general-election-trump-vs-clinton

Yeah, then the GOP spent all that time they weren't passing bill on systematically destroying her character with Benghazimail.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another issue with Hillary Clinton is that she is a woman.

As such she is held to a much higher standard than the male constituents and is much more harshly punished for any indiscretion.

She is also limited to how she can actually respond politically due to this double standard as well.

Not to mention as a woman she is considered to be a fanatical feminist, regardless of what her actual views are.

Well, when half her campaigning was "vote for me because I'm a woman." Thats not unfair.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

snip

Those Hillary Clinton bumper stickers didn't start popping up in 2013 because people expected her to leave politics for good. And she wasn't giving people that impression:

When one reporter asked if she was going to retire once she left the State Department, Clinton countered: “I don’t know that that is the word I would use, but certainly stepping off the very fast track for a little while.”
source

In 2013 people were specifically excited for ber to run for president (a few of those people are quoted in the article I linked). The shameless historical revisionism is starting to concern me.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:01:49 am by penguinofhonor »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

As such she is held to a much higher standard than the male constituents and is much more harshly punished for any indiscretion.

She is also limited to how she can actually respond politically due to this double standard as well.

Not to mention as a woman she is considered to be a fanatical feminist, regardless of what her actual views are.

Well, when half her campaigning was "vote for me because I'm a woman." Thats not unfair.

Yeah, because of course you can show that that was half of her campaigning.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, because of course you can show that that was half of her campaigning.

Would've been interesting if BOTH candidates were women since it'd nullify the feminism card as they'd effectively cancel each other out. Unless they want to try and argue that their the better woman.

Really though, the feminists did play that 'vote for her because she's a woman' card for a while.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Would've been interesting if BOTH candidates were women since it'd nullify the feminism card as they'd effectively cancel each other out. Unless they want to try and argue that their the better woman.

Really though, the feminists did play that 'vote for her because she's a woman' card for a while.

Yeah, "the feminists", that one big unified block that decided to run ads based on the "She sucks but she's a woman" slogan. I mean, yeah, she did bring the thing up a couple of time (I remember that at some point she was asked what would be revolutionary about her presidency) but saying it was her main line of argument was "Vote for me because I'm a woman" is at best ridiculous hyperbole.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Yeah, "the feminists", that one big unified block that decided to run ads based on the "She sucks but she's a woman" slogan. I mean, yeah, she did bring the thing up a couple of time (I remember that at some point she was asked what would be revolutionary about her presidency) but saying it was her main line of argument was "Vote for me because I'm a woman" is at best ridiculous hyperbole.
Lad, you should've seen the hilarity from pundits saying white women betrayed the sisterhood
Contrast:
Clinton’s status as both rich and white affords her a level of nearly impenetrable insulation from the oppression people of color face. Pretending otherwise would be wrong. So would ignoring how she has used her influence to effect policies that have been exploitive, even fatal, to people of color both at home and abroad. I’m not prepared to close an eye to that under the guise of “sisterhood”.
With the sisterhood narrative:
White Women Sold Out the Sisterhood and the World by Voting for Trump
Ayy lmao idpol not even once

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Well, the sisterhood piece runs more along the line of "Trump's policies are horrible and yet they voted for him" rather than "How dare they choose the candidate with a penis".

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or even Madeline Albright (another former Secretary of State, under Bill Clinton) saying that 'women must vote for her because she's woman'. The fact is that the woman card was there, but clearly it didn't help her win since party politics trumped (pun not intended) feminism.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Or even Madeline Albright (another former Secretary of State, under Bill Clinton) saying that 'women must vote for her because she's woman'. The fact is that the woman card was there, but clearly it didn't help her win since party politics trumped (pun not intended) feminism.

It was a bit more subtle than that though. Also, one can't really say if it helped her or not without good data. It's possible she would have done worse without some supporters playing that card.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It was a bit more subtle than that though. Also, one can't really say if it helped her or not without good data. It's possible she would have done worse without some supporters playing that card.

I know it was, just forget her exact words, but that's effectively what her message was, and it was actually aimed at the younger generation.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Well, it's a phrase she's been using for a long time. She said she meant it as a reference to Clinton's policies but I can't find the whole speech for context, and some other quote ("So people are talking about revolution," she said. "What a revolution it would be to have a woman president.") do seems to say that she was putting that exact argument.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Anyone who though she gave a damn about ordinary people or liberalism didn't do their research. Her entire life has been built around political expediency. She swung from being a Goldwater Girl to helping McGovern's campaign in less than a decade, because that was the way the path to power ran.

Though any gamer should know that she's just out to make political capital and advance herself-remember fun stuff like the Family Entertainment Protection Act? Remember this shit? Only difference is, after the political winds shifted, she quietly dropped it-the people who actually believed that bullshit, like Jack Thompson, went down with the ship.

Clinton networked her way into power. She held no meaningful federal office until her stint in Congress-which came about solely because of the self-selling and networking opportunities of eight years as First Lady-and parlayed that into her time as Sec.State. She ran for office with a limited time in lower offices, achieved solely through her willingness to play the Beltway social game, and she was fronting for the neoliberal corporate-backed center-right elements of the Democratic party. Remember the Clintons with nostalgia, as great progressive leaders? Don't, Bill Clinton was far and away the most conservative Democrat in the '92 primary. Remember how Bubba gave us NAFTA? Remember how he fucked American workers and Mexican small-farmers for the sake of corporations? Remember how they both used the social-progressive flag-waving as an aegis to deflect criticism from the left?

We remember. The corporate party and moralizing authoritarians on the left tried to cast liberals as DINOs because we didn't toe the line. They took the same tack they did in '92 and made another Clinton out to be the reasonable moderate candidate that would draw support from the right. Difference was, in '92 people wanted a moderate, and the ticket was split on the right rather than the left. So, fuck the Democrats, fuck the corporate state, and fuck all of the brainless ideologues who tried to cram a self-serving tool of big business down our throats while proclaiming her the second coming of FDR.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

hakuna your tatas dude. Ranting and raving because Sanders didnt turn out to be the second coming of jesus christ doesnt help any discussion.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 3515