Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3594186 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2017, 12:09:46 pm »

Thinking of calling McCain's office later today. Dude's an octogenarian, he's almost certainly going to retire after this term, and--the nonsense surrounding Merrick Garland notwithstanding--the man still has a measure of honor and dignity that Cheeto-in-Chief and his minions don't. He showed it in '08, and I think it's still there- the citizenry just needs to remind him that it's time to start thinking about his legacy.

AND he's been Senator since 1987, nearly as long as I've been alive. He could start his legacy by standing up to Trump and defending his honor and dignity.
Pfft, no. He won't do that, he doesn't actually have any honor and dignity left, I mean he endorsed Trump. After he insulted McCain for being captured. And he's not going to pose any opposition to Trump's candidates. Hell, even if he did, the Democrats are all mostly voting "aye" and rubber-stamping Trump on his Cabinet picks, so it's not like it would actually matter...
._.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2017, 12:10:54 pm »

...Well that's nuts.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2017, 12:17:16 pm »

It's apparently a part of the infamous Washington DC "tradition" to not resist Presidential Cabinet picks, because the President could just ask for their advise and act according to it regardless of whatever the Congress thinks about it.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2017, 12:34:45 pm »

It's apparently a part of the infamous Washington DC "tradition" to not resist Presidential Cabinet picks, because the President could just ask for their advise and act according to it regardless of whatever the Congress thinks about it.

Otherwise known as politics, and yeah, it's pretty rare for a Cabinet pick to not get confirmed, more common is that they withdraw.

Trump's team has said that green card holders and legal residents aren't going to be affected 'going forward' and that the list could be expanded.

The Hill article

Isn't this pretty much them admitting that they screwed up? Also, why didn't they put that in the initial executive order?

Also, I wonder how long before European countries end up on the list due to 'terrorist activity'? Apparently they're going to have some sort of 'very strict ban' according to Trump.

edit: Roundup of world leaders responding to the whole thing (including Geert Wilders....).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 12:37:29 pm by smjjames »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2017, 12:38:47 pm »

Otherwise known as politics, and yeah, it's pretty rare for a Cabinet pick to not get confirmed, more common is that they withdraw.

Trump's team has said that green card holders and legal residents aren't going to be affected 'going forward' and that the list could be expanded.

The Hill article

Isn't this pretty much them admitting that they screwed up? Also, why didn't they put that in the initial executive order?

Also, I wonder how long before European countries end up on the list due to 'terrorist activity'? Apparently they're going to have some sort of 'very strict ban' according to Trump.

edit: Roundup of world leaders responding to the whole thing.
EU countries, not likely. NATO country, perhaps. I could see Trump adding Turkey to the list, although not very likely. It would be to support Erdogan, and prevent political opponents from moving to the US, like Gülen. Speaking of which, I wonder how long before he is extradited to Turkey.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 12:40:20 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2017, 01:22:49 pm »

The Hill article

edit: Roundup of world leaders responding to the whole thing.
EU countries, not likely. NATO country, perhaps. I could see Trump adding Turkey to the list, although not very likely. It would be to support Erdogan, and prevent political opponents from moving to the US, like Gülen. Speaking of which, I wonder how long before he is extradited to Turkey.

That's something I didn't consider. It'd be remarkably shitty of Trump to send Gulen to Turkey to get tortured and shot.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2017, 01:31:39 pm »

Why would Trump do that? his team hates the Muslim Brotherhood.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2017, 01:50:05 pm »

His team hates a lot of things, and is pretty willing to work with one on the subject of hurting another. Also has a fairly consistent habit of doing stuff to hurt one thing without caring whether or not something else disliked is going to benefit from it. Long term and/or multi-variable planning is something of a weakness of the american right. Even more so than it is for the american left, which is a hell of a party trick. Or a party trick from hell. Maybe both. Probably both.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

And let me tell you, when it comes to threads, everyone says that ours is the best. It's the best thread. Much better than DPRK.
* MetalSlimeHunt crashes through the awning window lain atop a harpsichord, wearing only a speedo with Great General Kim Jong-Un's face on the front and accompanied by the orchestra.

당신이 말하는 똥, 동료를 들었다!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

당신이 말하는 똥, 동료를 들었다!

I heard your shit, colleague!

Oh, Google translate.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2017, 03:21:01 pm »

Islamic Center of Victoria burned down

No word on what caused it, but I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if it was arson, considering the political climate. It apparently got burgled a week ago, too.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2017, 03:23:51 pm »

Islamic Center of Victoria burned down

No word on what caused it, but I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if it was arson, considering the political climate. It apparently got burgled a week ago, too.

Gotta go with insurance fraud then XD

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2017, 05:07:09 pm »

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/philippines-president-rodrigo-duterte-says-united-states-is-threatening-stability-in-asia/news-story/f87fe1e052eb82a34770a0698b8b19f8

Duterte is saying there's been a sudden ramping up of US military presence in his country. Something to do with the new administration or just coincidence?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 05:10:53 pm by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2017, 05:14:35 pm »

Pretty sure this is the second petition on the UK government website to call for banning Donald Trump from a State Visit. First was back when he was still running. That signature ticker is going up pretty high.

On the other hand, I kinda want to see exactly how big the protests and demonstrations would be if he did get a state visit.
Remember the Tibet/Tiananmen/etc-related protests that China used local (or flown in) distraction squads to obscure?  Think that, but I'm betting more 'homegrown' participation of either kind, and less of the shipped in counter-protestors.  (Though the way I know some people think, I don't want to be against the possibility of Trump dangling enough of a Bunny to the Leave-type crowd at just the right time to get a large pro-Trump surge of cheering.  They'll probably then get disapointed the day after he leaves when he says/tweets something opposing the surge-maker, but by then other distractions like the First Great Yes/No riots of 2017 (and/or the Second GY/N riots, events allowing) will have given us something else to focus on...)

ETA: Rodrigo 'I drop corrupt officials from helicopters' Duterte is railing against Trump's approach? There's surely no longer a box to be thinking outside of, if this is happening...

Anyway, looks like Trump is doing Trump things. Having control almost the biggest of all 'big businesses', he's promoting it as the only story in town ever which way he can on the "No news is bad news" basis.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 05:31:39 pm by Starver »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2017, 05:16:25 pm »

BTW Trump just lauched his first military action, there's one US soldier dead (4 injured) and women and children are reported as being casualties in the attack.

http://www.news.com.au/world/middle-east/us-elite-forces-in-deadly-raid-on-alqaeda-in-yemen/news-story/3ab5d3b1448c6a9bef7f3d29c28df8b6

Basically Trump ditched the air superiority doctrine and send foot sloggers in.

Sunday’s US raid was said to have targeted the houses of three tribal chiefs linked to Al-Qaeda.

The provincial official said Apache helicopters also struck a school, a mosque and a medical facility which were all used by Al-Qaeda militants.

Well the question is whether this sort of killing is even going to be effective in what is effectively a full-blown civil war.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 05:21:50 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 3515