Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 580 581 [582] 583 584 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3589498 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: AmeriPol thread: Comey testifies in front of Congress
« Reply #8716 on: July 02, 2017, 02:38:21 pm »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8717 on: July 02, 2017, 02:39:30 pm »

(sorta ninja'd but different link heh)
A link to the tweet, specifically the Homeland Security Advisor having to react to it live on ABC.
He has a point about Trump being perceived as authentic, anyway.  "Unfiltered" comes across as "authentic" unless you do any fact checking, or can at least remember what he claimed the week before.

I also agree that he's our least political president.  He meant "political" as in "establishment shill", not "diplomatic leader", but I shouldn't quibble.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8718 on: July 02, 2017, 03:09:41 pm »

(sorta ninja'd but different link heh)
A link to the tweet, specifically the Homeland Security Advisor having to react to it live on ABC.
He has a point about Trump being perceived as authentic, anyway.  "Unfiltered" comes across as "authentic" unless you do any fact checking, or can at least remember what he claimed the week before.

I also agree that he's our least political president.  He meant "political" as in "establishment shill", not "diplomatic leader", but I shouldn't quibble.
I think that hinges on what you mean by "political".  Most politicians are political in the sense that sacrifice their integrity in exchange for the trappings of power (aka electoral success and money).  But most have at least one issue where they have genuine integrity and solidity.  Al Gore would not have become a climate change denier even to be president.  Rick Santorum is not going to become pro choice, again, even to be president.

Trump doesn't primarily want political success or power.  What he really wants to be seen as a badass in the Don Draper sense.  He has no issue where has integrity on this.  He'll say or do anything to keep up his image.  So he is very political, its just that he's not Washington political, he's high school political.  He wants to be one of the cool kids.  I think what we're seeing now is that he's left his arena of cable TV, and now suddenly he doesn't understand how to control his image.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8719 on: July 02, 2017, 03:10:14 pm »

And not five hours ago I heard a man babbling about how people keep drafting up reasons to impeach Trump, but they have no reason to.  People just hate him for no reason, just because he's doing his job!  Well, he also said that Obama was currently overseas assembling an army of Muslims in Indonesia to come and conquer us, so maybe he's not all there.

But still, I can't help but wonder what people would have done if Obama were half this bad.  Imagine if he tweeted a .gif of himself beating up Fox News?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8720 on: July 02, 2017, 03:14:56 pm »

And not five hours ago I heard a man babbling about how people keep drafting up reasons to impeach Trump, but they have no reason to.  People just hate him for no reason, just because he's doing his job!  Well, he also said that Obama was currently overseas assembling an army of Muslims in Indonesia to come and conquer us, so maybe he's not all there.

But still, I can't help but wonder what people would have done if Obama were half this bad.  Imagine if he tweeted a .gif of himself beating up Fox News?

Let's be honest, we would all be cheering.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8721 on: July 02, 2017, 03:34:15 pm »

I've always seen Obama as the splitting image of how a president should act.  No impulsiveness or outward anger.  Clear signals as to what he's going to try to do.  Mostly gave his diplomatic/IC/military leaders space and took their advice over political advisors (compare Bush with Cheney).  So I've always assumed that the Republican backlash was driven primarily by anger over having a black dude in power.  Maybe that's just me, I wasn't that politically aware in the early Obama years when the backlash was strongest.

This is a little off topic but I've always adored some of the little touches with Obama.  The investigation he ordered on private prisons and solitary confinement was such a positive thing to do.  Federal prisons aren't that much of the prison population and its unlikely Trump is going to go through with shutting them down now, but like, even if all it did was highlight how bad solitary confinement is and shut down ONE prison that abuses it, that's still a hella good thing that's going to make a difference.  Also his semi-covert actions against the cartels (military aid to Mexico + Fast and Furious) got turned into a scandal by congress and the news.  But honestly... I think they were just actions and my only complaint with them is that they weren't successful.  If congress had just given the executive branch some space on that one maybe the relevant agencies could have found an effective method and done some real good.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8722 on: July 02, 2017, 03:46:36 pm »

On an unrelated note, an article on the Senate Healthcare bill; specifically, the fact that various people involved are giving wildly divergent information on how close they are to an agreement. Mike Pence says that we're close, while Rand Paul says they're at an impasse and will need a new bill. It doesn't look good.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8723 on: July 02, 2017, 04:07:54 pm »

Somehow trump out did all his previous tweets. We are now at GIF levels.

Would be schadenfreudistically funny if Trump made it himself, but we all know how he's barely technologically competent.

On an unrelated note, an article on the Senate Healthcare bill; specifically, the fact that various people involved are giving wildly divergent information on how close they are to an agreement. Mike Pence says that we're close, while Rand Paul says they're at an impasse and will need a new bill. It doesn't look good.

Trump has thrown a trump-hand sized wrench into the whole thing by flipflopping and saying 'nevermind, lets just repeal everything and then replace!'. But.... they tried that in January and February and totally failed. TBH, I'm not surprised they're unable to get a deal done on healthcare, which is why I'm a bit skeptical on the debt ceiling. Then again, they are threatened with the pain of political death (among others) should we go default, which is a hell of an incentive.

I've always seen Obama as the splitting image of how a president should act.  No impulsiveness or outward anger.  Clear signals as to what he's going to try to do.  Mostly gave his diplomatic/IC/military leaders space and took their advice over political advisors (compare Bush with Cheney).  So I've always assumed that the Republican backlash was driven primarily by anger over having a black dude in power.  Maybe that's just me, I wasn't that politically aware in the early Obama years when the backlash was strongest.

This is a little off topic but I've always adored some of the little touches with Obama.  The investigation he ordered on private prisons and solitary confinement was such a positive thing to do.  Federal prisons aren't that much of the prison population and its unlikely Trump is going to go through with shutting them down now, but like, even if all it did was highlight how bad solitary confinement is and shut down ONE prison that abuses it, that's still a hella good thing that's going to make a difference.  Also his semi-covert actions against the cartels (military aid to Mexico + Fast and Furious) got turned into a scandal by congress and the news.  But honestly... I think they were just actions and my only complaint with them is that they weren't successful.  If congress had just given the executive branch some space on that one maybe the relevant agencies could have found an effective method and done some real good.

Even Bill Clinton is a golden saint of a role model of a President compared to Trump, and I mean behavior wise, not politics wise.

As great as a role model of a President as Obama was, he could have let loose a bit from time to time. Though not showing anger more often is the least of his problems.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:18:48 pm by smjjames »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8724 on: July 02, 2017, 05:32:14 pm »

This presidency will go down in history as the dankest in memory, a time when we restocked our national meme reserves.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8725 on: July 02, 2017, 06:37:21 pm »

Trump has thrown a trump-hand sized wrench into the whole thing by flipflopping and saying 'nevermind, lets just repeal everything and then replace!'. But.... they tried that in January and February and totally failed. TBH, I'm not surprised they're unable to get a deal done on healthcare, which is why I'm a bit skeptical on the debt ceiling. Then again, they are threatened with the pain of political death (among others) should we go default, which is a hell of an incentive.
Yes, part of the problem is that all the conservative groups have lined up against the bill, mostly for being insufficiently conservative. The bill is really unpopular: the efforts of some trump people to attack people opposing the bill is only making a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

I wonder what they will do, just yank the bill and spare themselves the embarassment, but bring up accusations of not fulfilling their promises? Or vote and say "hey, we tried", but risk the exposing their members to attacks? Bad situation indeed.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:14:12 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8726 on: July 02, 2017, 08:22:16 pm »

It became a damned if you do, damned if you don't the minute that they didn't start coming up with a sensible alternative.

Voting on it and having it fail seems like the least harmful way out, especially given that they want to move on to other things.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8727 on: July 02, 2017, 08:24:12 pm »

Responding to the previous topic about the gif tweet:
Let's be fair. CNN earned the name titles Fake and Fraud legitimately. They do nothing to help a cause by pushing narratives. Same with the other cable news outlets, MSNBC, FOX, even the broadcast news networks aren't innocent.

We need the news to do their due diligence in making sure that what they're reporting is true and accurate to the best of their abilities. When they're caught in lies it erodes their credibility. When you've got the president claiming that what they're reporting is fake, and given that it's more important than ever that we keep our politicians honest with double checking what they say, and reporting on when they're lying. It breaks the whole system if what the news is reporting actually IS fake.

At this point many of us know the president is feeding us bullshit. But now we also know the news are feeding us bullshit as well. We've lost any and all ammunition to use to convince anyone that DOES believe the president simply because the people who hate him are impatient and willing to push stories that aren't backed up.

I dislike Trump. But when the opposition is so freakin' inept and end up burning down the armory with the weapons inside when we need them the most... well, it's perfectly understandable how we ended up in this situation in the first place.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8728 on: July 02, 2017, 08:27:52 pm »

can we all agree that gif was funny as hell tho.

and honestly i see nothing wrong with promoting violence against corporate media.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8729 on: July 02, 2017, 08:35:12 pm »

Responding to the previous topic about the gif tweet:
Let's be fair. CNN earned the name titles Fake and Fraud legitimately. They do nothing to help a cause by pushing narratives. Same with the other cable news outlets, MSNBC, FOX, even the broadcast news networks aren't innocent.

We need the news to do their due diligence in making sure that what they're reporting is true and accurate to the best of their abilities. When they're caught in lies it erodes their credibility. When you've got the president claiming that what they're reporting is fake, and given that it's more important than ever that we keep our politicians honest with double checking what they say, and reporting on when they're lying. It breaks the whole system if what the news is reporting actually IS fake.

At this point many of us know the president is feeding us bullshit. But now we also know the news are feeding us bullshit as well. We've lost any and all ammunition to use to convince anyone that DOES believe the president simply because the people who hate him are impatient and willing to push stories that aren't backed up.

I dislike Trump. But when the opposition is so freakin' inept and end up burning down the armory with the weapons inside when we need them the most... well, it's perfectly understandable how we ended up in this situation in the first place.

Because they made a mistake and then recanted it? You do have a point that the same attitude is common accross all newsrooms since it's a pretty universial problem, some have more of a problem than others, and then you've got the echo chamber bubble blinders which affect some more than others.

can we all agree that gif was funny as hell tho.

and honestly i see nothing wrong with promoting violence against corporate media.

The problem comes when people actualize it into actual violence.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:39:02 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 580 581 [582] 583 584 ... 3514