Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3594395 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Comey testifies in front of Congress
« Reply #8865 on: July 05, 2017, 08:57:54 pm »

Regardless, Republicans treat him like the highest saint of the Republican church :P Though 'Reaganism' has kind of turned into something that doesn't really resemble Reagan anymore.

(the church bit was sarcasm btw).

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8866 on: July 05, 2017, 09:06:22 pm »

In many ways, the shit Trump is pulling resembles Reagan era bullshit.

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/fenlewis/epa.htm

Looks (from a historical perspective) a bit like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/apr/13/scott-pruitt-epa-coal-mining-deregulation-speech

Especially since both were enacted to "help" and "protect" energy interests.

The major difference, is that when Reagan was in office, we did not have efficient solar and wind generation capacity that was in many areas outstripping fossil fuel based power, both in cheapness to produce (and total ROI), and in total watts produced, meaning for Reagan it at least made SOME sense to try to protect energy interests, because there was no real alternative...

For Trump?  Nah-- just a moron.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8867 on: July 05, 2017, 09:16:21 pm »

True I think Reagan is given a bone due to being a product of his time.

It isn't like people are up in riot about Washington's immense slave fortune. (I made this up! but I bet you were about to wiki if this was true!)

Presidents who rise above their times are considered great Presidents.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8868 on: July 05, 2017, 09:24:23 pm »

Chicago high school will require students to have college-acceptance or job offer before allowing them to graduate.
victim blaming at it's finest.

cuz it's totally the MILLENIALS fault when you can't find a job right out of high school
For what very, very little it's worth, for all there's a great deal of utterly staggering stupidity involved in that particular pants-on-head proposition it's not really victim blaming, exactly, as near as I can parse. There's an out involved in that acceptance into some of the local collages is guaranteed, and acceptance, not attendance, or anything of the nature, is what's required, ferex. Seem to recall a few other things like that, though the details are ahaha no. Something resembling the vague shape of effort to make sure there's not actual harm/blame/etc. dumped on the ones everyone with a functioning visual cortex could tell would be fucked by the policy.

Basically for all it's a really, really stupid idea like holy shit goddamn y'all need to stop raiding the cops drug stores, and I'm still mildly boggling a good handful of hours later after first hearing about it that local teachers didn't straight up lynch whoever suggested it, it's, like. Well intentioned? Not really blaming anyone so much as trying to make sure all students are getting post-graduation prep stuff instead of just the better off ones; the requirement's supposed to force the schools to devote resources to making sure the students are able to fulfill it, not punish the ones most likely to be burdened by the thing.

If you squint real damn hard you can see what they're trying to do on a conceptual level, and why someone with a great deal of brain damage might think that was a way forward. It's just holy hell how did you people look at chicago of all goddamn places and think this was going to end well? Or that it would end well ever, anywhere, under any circumstances, sweet zombie rhesus monkey god what the hell were you thinking.

... though all that said, at the absolute least it's supposed to be limited to a single city-like area, and is actually something that, so far as I'm aware, hasn't really been done (mostly because it's really, blatantly, incredibly stupid to anyone that's even been even tangentially involved with ground level education work). So, cynically/sociopathically speaking, the policy could serve as a working data point for just how badly a trainwreck implementing it is for an education system and local economy. That kind of experimentation is kinda' why US is decentralized to the extent it is, so someone can look at something, pave a road to hell, and then everyone can thereafter point to them and demand we cut funding to infernal infrastructure projects when someone proposes that particular brand of sweet goddamn at some point afterwards. And if it fucks over a generation or two of the population in the area, well hell, that's what we have welfare and freedom of movement for <insert kefka laugh here>
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8869 on: July 06, 2017, 06:40:43 am »

Well you know those people who go out and check to see if someone is polluting?

We got less of those.

Are you forgetting which country you are from again?
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8870 on: July 06, 2017, 11:30:17 am »

Also, this would be really funny if it weren't so damn ridiculous (okay, I did laugh some), in their attempt to prepare Trump for his bilateral meeting with Putin, his aides have been feeding him tweet length memos.
If only I was on Twitter. I'd send @realDonaldTrump some 'helpful' #PreparingForPutin memes, or similar.
#PrepareForPutin - Russia's main export is bread and cheese. Offering US-made cheese sandwiches would be considered a major insult.
#PrepareForPutin - You might wish to greet Putin with the phrase "Nanoo nanoo!", as he is a huge fan of Mork And Mindy

(My talent is wasted here. But perhaps better wasted here than on Twitter, right?)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8871 on: July 06, 2017, 12:18:08 pm »

Well you know those people who go out and check to see if someone is polluting?

We got less of those.

Are you forgetting which country you are from again?

When you move about a lot you get  a degree of cognitive dissonance
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8872 on: July 06, 2017, 12:54:40 pm »

#PrepareForPutin - Russia's main export is bread and cheese. Offering US-made cheese sandwiches would be considered a major insult.
I know you're making a joke but its oil.  Russian oil is about half their exports at 135 billion, down from 317 billion before the sanctions.

...which is probably why the election meddling happened now that I look at those numbers.  Like holy shit that's some hefty damage.

Also hey, if you're fast with the joke twitter account maybe you could be trending.  If anyone here has a twitter account with followers they could help you by retweeting, and we could all add some ideas.  @BiteSizeBriefings
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8873 on: July 06, 2017, 01:19:22 pm »

The director of the Office of Government Ethics is resigning, no particular reason given. However, at the same time, and on the same day he is resigning, he is switching jobs to be Senior Director for Ethics for the Campaign Legal Center.

He was appointed by Obama and his term would have ended in 2018, so, Trump gets to replace him with his own pick early, though Trump would be putting his own pick in eventually. Probably won't be replaced anytime soon, what with the current pace of filling in positions he's supposed to fill.

edit: Changed to bigger article.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 01:22:23 pm by smjjames »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8874 on: July 06, 2017, 01:34:17 pm »

True I think Reagan is given a bone due to being a product of his time.

It isn't like people are up in riot about Washington's immense slave fortune. (I made this up! but I bet you were about to wiki if this was true!)

Presidents who rise above their times are considered great Presidents.

Well look at Thomas Jefferson. I'm pretty sure that it would raise a few eyebrows if it came out Trump kept and raped slaves, but Jefferson gets a pass apparently.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8875 on: July 06, 2017, 03:00:43 pm »

That's cause literally every rich man at the time owned slaves.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8876 on: July 06, 2017, 03:01:55 pm »

That's cause literally every rich man at the time owned slaves.

Haven't we found that slavery wasn't as wide spread as we thought mostly because servants were... well... as good as slaves anyway?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8877 on: July 06, 2017, 03:03:59 pm »

I'm not sure we can justify varying degrees of mistreatment of human beans just because it was relatively accepted for the time.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8878 on: July 06, 2017, 03:08:36 pm »

I'm not sure we can justify varying degrees of mistreatment of human beans just because it was relatively accepted for the time.

What we have found out is that it wasn't as accepted as we assume it was. There was genuine criticism and concern about slavery and the treatment of slaves since before then.

So the whole "Well, for the times" is often not a real excuse.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8879 on: July 06, 2017, 03:20:10 pm »

What we have found out is that it wasn't as accepted as we assume it was. There was genuine criticism and concern about slavery and the treatment of slaves since before then.

So the whole "Well, for the times" is often not a real excuse.

Jefferson even wanted to condemn the slave trade in the first draft of the Declaration of Independence apparently.
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 3515