Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3571380 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
AmeriPol thread
« on: January 28, 2017, 09:19:38 pm »

Decided to make a temporary one to contain the spillover. This is now the temporary indefinite AmeriPol thread!

Basic rules.

1. Be civil towards each other. <- This is pretty much the big one. Passionate arguments are fine, just be civil.

2. don't do personal attacks. <- This is a major reason for flareups, so, if you find yourself doing it, chill out.

3. Generally follow the forum rules.

If things get out of hand or flamey, I WILL lock the thread and give it a timeout.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:48:55 pm by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Temporary AmeriPol containment thread
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 09:23:24 pm »

To start the thread moving a bit:

Huh, http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-immigration-order-democrats-234312 Look down about a third of the way in the article, apparently a Christian Syrian family got caught up in the whole thing, I thought Trump only wanted to block Muslims? heh.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 09:27:59 pm »

I snipped my posts from the other two threads and will put them here.

Thousands of people have gathered at JFK airport in protest against the detention of 11 green card holders, and more in general against the new decree.
They are shouting "racists out, refugees in", and "this is what democracy looks like". My newspaper reports more people keep arriving, and the protest has spread to other airports as well.
http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/prostest-op-jfk-tegen-beleid-trump-zwelt-aan~a4455011/

Facebook has a livestream: https://www.facebook.com/BuzzFeedNews/videos/vb.618786471475708/1390820710938943/?type=3&theater&_fb_noscript=1

Meanwhile, the Canadian PM Justin Trudeau has pulled a Merkel, in response to Trump's decree, and announced that all refugees are welcome in Canada.
He Tweeted "Canada warmly welcomes everyone who flees from persecution, terror and war, regardless of religion. Diversity is Canada's strenght. #WelcomeToCanada".
He added a picture of himself welcoming a Syrian child at the airport.

According to government spokesperson Kate Purchase, Trudeau has a message for Trump. "The prime minister looks forward to having a good conversation with mr. Trump about Canada's successful refugee policy, next time they meet."

Toronto's mayor John Tory commented: "We Canadians are all immigrants. No one should be denied access based on ethnicity or nationality."

Meanwhile the protests have expanded to Brooklyn courthouse in New York, and to Dulles airport, Washington, where the governor of Virginia Terry McAuliffe joined the protest and "urges the POTUS to rescind this EO and make America a beacon of hope again".
Michael Moore Tweeted: "Trump wants us at war w/ the entire Muslim world. Who wants to die for Donald J. Trump? Do YOU want 2 die 4 Trump? Everyone to JFK demo now!"

There's also mention on Twitter that the district judge at JFK has granted stay to the all detainees at JFK to prevent them from being deported, although I can't find any non Twitter source confirming that.

My newspaper confirmed now that a New York judge has ruled that refugees are allowed to stay, in defiance of Trump's EO.

My newspaper confirmed now that a New York judge has ruled that refugees are allowed to stay, in defiance of Trump's EO.

It should be noted that's a federal judge, not a state judge, even though he is in New York (specifically the Eastern District).  An actual New York (state) judge wouldn't have the authority to do that.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 09:36:59 pm »

A bit more info from Vox.

Basically, it just lets those that were already here or had just arrived when the order took effect, to stay and not be deported.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 09:44:43 pm »

A friend recently shared an image claiming Trump had instituted a bacon-eating requirement on immigrants.  I'm pretty sure it's a fake thing, I couldn't find anything (recent, anyway) suggesting that.
Just wondering.

I'm about 4 pages back on the locked thread, I have no idea what caused the lock...  I hope it comes back.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 09:45:04 pm »

Yay for the stay, even if it is limited.  At least we still* have checks and balances. Some places don't even have that much.

*Sad that I have to asterisk that.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 10:44:13 pm »

Perhaps that one should stay locked. We usually move onto new thread after elections anyway, and the brave new world of President Trump needs a new thread.

One of these days I'll take over the thread, and then... I don't know. That was just stage one in the plan; I forgot the rest. I'll remember it later I guess.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 10:45:23 pm »

I don't think I can transfer ownership of the thread....

Anyways, apparently lots of chaos and confusion caused problems with the whole thing, if there is this much issues with something that really should be simple, I can't imagine how it would be when a real crisis pops up....
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 10:55:01 pm by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Sure yeh can. You just tell someone else to take over, lock the thread, and then rapidly disappear over the horizon, laughing maniacally.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure yeh can. You just tell someone else to take over, lock the thread, and then rapidly disappear over the horizon, laughing maniacally.

lol.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Wellp.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1. Be civil.

2. don't do personal attacks.

Which scroat-munching toss-bag wrote these rules? Kids these days ...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1. Be civil.

2. don't do personal attacks.

Which scroat-munching toss-bag wrote these rules? Kids these days ...

Lolwut.

lol though :)

Just being civil towards each other is the main thing anyway.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

I mean, what scatterbrained toad-licker things that such a thread is a good idea :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

I see that the influence of @RealDonaldTrump is contagious....
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 3513