Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3589395 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump fires FBI Dir. Comey, sheneinighans abound
« Reply #6825 on: May 26, 2017, 05:02:14 pm »

Can't they take away Trump's security clearance as well, while they're at it?

Is it legally possible to do that with a president in office?
Its highly unlikely to happen in an official way.  As the leader of the executive branch, the president is the final authority on what's classified and what isn't.

In a scenario in which a president is halfway through an impeachment trial and starts handing out our state secrets out of spite, I could see the cabinet and generals "forgetting" to tell the president anything ever.  They have no authority to do that but they might be beyond punishment if the president is clearly sinking.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6826 on: May 26, 2017, 05:18:37 pm »

Well, they might be able to charge Trump with Treason if he starts doing that.

*Checks definition*

Ok, it would be a tough but not impossible case to win... Though there are likely better things you can charge Trump with should he start to intentionally self-destruct the USA (Well more then he currently is anyway)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 05:23:51 pm by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6827 on: May 26, 2017, 06:24:01 pm »

Well, they might be able to charge Trump with Treason if he starts doing that.

*Checks definition*

Ok, it would be a tough but not impossible case to win... Though there are likely better things you can charge Trump with should he start to intentionally self-destruct the USA (Well more then he currently is anyway)

Personally, I'd go with corruption type charges.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6828 on: May 26, 2017, 06:53:28 pm »

It appears that Kushner wanted to set up a secret comms channel with Russia and use Russian facilities. Since Kushner actually wanted to use Russian equipment, the Russians themselves were surprised by that due to the security risk. Never mind the extreme naivete displayed by Kushner.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6829 on: May 26, 2017, 07:02:45 pm »

It's literally impossible because, and I shit you not, the modern American infosec system is defined not by law but by a single executive order. And yes, that does mean that, if he ever wanted to, Donald Trump could unilaterally withdraw this order and at least in theory declassify everything in one fell swoop.

Oh, and 538 did an article on the loyalty of Republican institutions towards Trump, it's an interesting read.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:56:39 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6830 on: May 26, 2017, 10:22:35 pm »

It's literally impossible because, and I shit you not, the modern American infosec system is defined not by law but by a single executive order. And yes, that does mean that, if he ever wanted to, Donald Trump could unilaterally withdraw this order and at least in theory declassify everything in one fell swoop.

Oh, and 538 did an article on the loyalty of Republican institutions towards Trump, it's an interesting read.
The chaos that would unleash would be biblical.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6831 on: May 27, 2017, 06:29:12 am »

Lol, Wall street journal reports that White House staff is developing a plan to make it possible to subject Trump's tweets to a lawyer before tweeting them, because they fear the tweets could get the government in serious legal trouble.

One of Trump's advisors puts it this way: "we need to develop a system where tweets don't enter the universum directly from Trump's brain.

The chance that Trump will agree with the plan is deemed very small.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/wall-street-journal-witte-huis-wil-tweets-trump-vooraf-door-advocaten-laten-controleren~a4497475/
paywalled WSJ article: https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-eyeing-white-house-shakeup-1495831679
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6832 on: May 27, 2017, 08:15:44 am »

So... My opinion that Trump should get off Twitter...

Is apparently the government's opinion as well.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6833 on: May 27, 2017, 08:59:39 am »

He'd probably just create an alt account for the stuff that doesn't get through.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:01:33 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6834 on: May 27, 2017, 09:29:03 am »

He'd probably just create an alt account for the stuff that doesn't get through.

Which isn't a bad idea, considering there's like a million Donald Trump accounts on Twitter and as long as nobody gives it a blue checkmark it'll be impossible to tell apart from the parody tweets those accounts generate.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6835 on: May 27, 2017, 10:02:58 am »

A full on reverse Poe...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6836 on: May 27, 2017, 10:07:09 am »

There can only be ONE POTUS account though.

Whether it's lawyers or staffers or whatever, Trumps tweets do need vetting, unfortunately, and yes he'll chafe under that all right.

You know, they're going to have to vet even the 3 AM tweets....

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6837 on: May 27, 2017, 12:28:54 pm »

If he doesn't tweet it he'll just say it, anyway.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6838 on: May 27, 2017, 12:31:17 pm »

It is unlikely that any meaningful restrictions could be placed on Trump's tweeting. He can fire anybody who tries to constrain him. His existing reputation actually serves him in the goal of remaining on Twitter.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6839 on: May 27, 2017, 02:24:31 pm »

Bets on how severely Trump is going to piss off the military community by making some Memorial Day event all about him?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 3514