Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 852 853 [854] 855 856 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3582023 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: GOP attempting ACA repeal again.
« Reply #12795 on: September 23, 2017, 11:05:03 am »

I mean, I heard lots of decent people talking about this from various angles. I deliberately keep a diverse social circle, for better or worse.

Lots of them (including Democrats) felt they had to choose between fighting outright buffoonery for 4 years or never knowing what kind of shady maybes Clinton was absolutely up to at any given time. Situations amounting to "oops I did some thing you hate 4-5 years ago, shame you didn't catch it then" seemed to revolve around her constantly, whereas everyone knew exactly what kind of dumb crap Trump was up to constantly.

That's what I witnessed, anyway. They seemed to feel like their choice was between Emperor Palpatine or The Kurgan.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12796 on: September 23, 2017, 11:25:55 am »

Except that's outright and explicitly fucking wrong, smj. Trump lost the popular vote by millions. He was very much disliked by more people than clinton was. The primary reasons he's in office are the EC (I.e. voter placement, not numbers), however many tens of thousands of voters the GOP's bullshit has disenfranchised, and shit like, you know, foreign intervention. What happened damn sure didn't happen because trump was somehow the more liked of the two, because just about goddamn everything we know at this point says otherwise.

Clinton's also been fairly damn forthright about ways she and the democrat party fucked up. There actually has been reconciling from her front, regardless of how much certain segments of our population are set on ignoring or intentionally misinterpreting it.

There are a number of angles this can take, ranging from how EC votes are tabulated on a state by state basis, (EG, winner take all, vs fractional award by district count, vs fractional award by population, vs other), and then on a district level analysis of individual states (Gerrymandering for the win, et al) however, both sets of semantics that could be thrown at this are thrown a huge fucking curveball by the very anomalous results from the eastern seaboard states.  Either the republicans are fucking brilliant at planning gerrymandered districts to engineer elections, in states that were controlled by democrat senators and governors, or there is something fishy about this line of argument.

This kind of argument is thus somewhere between 1 and 2, as SMJ stated. (Acceptance that the outcome happened, with denial about the circumstances and or, moving goal posts irrationally to maintain an internal narrative.)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12797 on: September 23, 2017, 11:35:59 am »

"The media gave too much free press to Trump" I will buy.

I even stated as such back in the election thread, stating that voter familiarity was higher for Trump, because he was talked about more, meaning he had a larger slice of the cultural awareness devoted to the election (and that this SHOULD NOT BE DISCOUNTED)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12798 on: September 23, 2017, 02:19:19 pm »

There are a number of angles this can take, ranging from how EC votes are tabulated on a state by state basis, (EG, winner take all, vs fractional award by district count, vs fractional award by population, vs other), and then on a district level analysis of individual states (Gerrymandering for the win, et al) however, both sets of semantics that could be thrown at this are thrown a huge fucking curveball by the very anomalous results from the eastern seaboard states.
The what now? As near as I can tell from double checking, the closest thing to an anomalous results states had EC wise was in the mid-west, not the east coast.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12799 on: September 23, 2017, 04:20:07 pm »

Well, here's 538's take on analyzing whether Clinton was right about how she lost. Evidently, she was rather spot-on.

The Hillary Email story is such a weird story because it received absurd amounts of coverage for an investigation that resulted in....nothing.

Seriously I think it would have been less damaging if the FBI DID find proof of some scandal in Hillary's emails.

In the meantime nobody cared about Trumps actually fraudulent university and foundation.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12800 on: September 23, 2017, 04:23:37 pm »

Or the 20 million or whatever Bush administraction emails on the private government server that were deleted relating to Iraq WMDs.

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/09/23/george-w-bush-white-house-lost-22-million-emails-497373.html
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 04:31:46 pm by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12801 on: September 23, 2017, 04:39:23 pm »

In other news, Trump's taking massive fire from the NFL and the NFL Player's Union, which have jointly denounced a speech in which he advocates firing any player who participates in the Anthem Protests. This is intensified by his revocation of the traditional White House invitation to the Golden State Warriors (the current NBA champions) after a player expressed reluctance to participate.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12802 on: September 23, 2017, 04:45:28 pm »

In other news, Trump's taking massive fire from the NFL and the NFL Player's Union, which have jointly denounced a speech in which he advocates firing any player who participates in the Anthem Protests. This is intensified by his revocation of the traditional White House invitation to the Golden State Warriors (the current NBA champions) after a player expressed reluctance to participate.
"Get that son of a bitch off the field" truly we have reached max presidentialness. ::)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12803 on: September 23, 2017, 05:03:19 pm »

This is intensified by his revocation of the traditional White House invitation to the Golden State Warriors (the current NBA champions) after a player expressed reluctance to participate.

Player: "I don't want to be seeN with that guy."
Trump: "Screw you too."
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12804 on: September 23, 2017, 05:44:33 pm »

"Get that son of a bitch off the field" truly we have reached max presidentialness. ::)
Don't tempt Murphy, man. We're not even through the first year. There's plenty of time for new heights to be reached.

... though yeah, while I'm not sure it will ultimately be a top contender, a twitter fight with professional sports players is probably a decent candidate for early entry to the contest. Might already have been kicked down the list, though. Guy's been busy in some ways, if not exactly the position's duties.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12805 on: September 23, 2017, 06:09:22 pm »

There's plenty of time for new heights to be reached.

I want to get off Mr. Bones Wild Ride
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12806 on: September 23, 2017, 06:59:59 pm »

Trump went on to attribute the NFL’s dip in TV ratings to rule changes implemented over the last few years to make the game less violent and limit head injuries.

Trump supports brain damage and flag-waving. At least he's consistent: those things definitely seem to fit together.

Also it's a sad state of affairs when the president is telling off a major sport for not appealing to people's love of seeing athletes get terminally injured. What's next? throw lions onto the field and the athletes have to fight them off while scoring touchdowns? I'm sure ratings would skyrocket, and that's all that matters.

Undaunted, Trump wrote on Twitter: “If a player wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect our Great American Flag (or Country) and should stand for the National Anthem. If not, YOU’RE FIRED. Find something else to do!”

The guy doesn't seem to understand the limits of appropriate government involvement in a private business, when he's the government. Those are the ones you need to watch.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 07:11:28 pm by Reelya »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12807 on: September 23, 2017, 07:06:42 pm »

There is no way LIONBALL (fireworks and fanfare) would not become an instant classic in America, and there's no way it wouldn't be the historical highlight of Trump's presidential term.

What I'm saying is please we don't need any more ideas for our President we don't want lions please stop please.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12808 on: September 23, 2017, 07:13:06 pm »

That, or a return to Roman-esque gladiatorial games. Trump would love being able to kill a man with a tiny thumbs-up just for the attention.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12809 on: September 23, 2017, 07:15:12 pm »

He sort of did that, with that thing where drone strikes were "after dinner entertainment" (actual quote from a Trump aide) for him and his political guests. So he is engaging in gladiatorial entertainment, however you're not the audience.
Pages: 1 ... 852 853 [854] 855 856 ... 3513