Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 881 882 [883] 884 885 ... 2091

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 940977 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: AmeriPol: GOP attempting ACA repeal again.
« Reply #13230 on: September 24, 2017, 04:58:07 pm »

Are you implying its a ridiculous example or that a king wouldn't have had that power?
Both tbh

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13231 on: September 24, 2017, 05:43:06 pm »

Well, Trump doesn't act presidential so he wouldn't act regal, either.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13232 on: September 24, 2017, 05:53:38 pm »

In other news, Trump's taking massive fire from the NFL and the NFL Player's Union, which have jointly denounced a speech in which he advocates firing any player who participates in the Anthem Protests. This is intensified by his revocation of the traditional White House invitation to the Golden State Warriors (the current NBA champions) after a player expressed reluctance to participate.
Remember guys, Donald Trump supports free speech. He means it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13233 on: September 24, 2017, 05:59:45 pm »

Donald Trump supports free speech except burning the flag should be a felony and people shouldn't be allowed to question the authority of the President and libel laws should apply to criticism of public figures and neo-nazis should be allowed to march around assaulting minorities and hecklers at rallies should be lynched by the mob and people who oppose the President should be publicly targeted by him for his followers and news organizations shouldn't be allowed to speak ill of the government and people who run against him in elections should be jailed and
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13234 on: September 24, 2017, 06:06:44 pm »

*NFL player takes a knee in peaceful protest during the anthem*
"THROW THAT SON OF A BITCH OFF THE FIELD!"

*Actual Neo-Nazi cunts marching around a confederate statue with torches before one kills a counterprotester*
"Well, you know, both sides..."

Gerrymandering isn't really relevant for the presidential election [snipped additional irrelevance preemptively]
I didn't say anything about the presidency; I said it won them two of three branches. While this point may seem strange to make for the senate as that was more about disenfranchised voters than gerrymandering really, having the house owned by republicans during the Obama years allowed them to cockblock enough shit that they were able to fuck over everyone and then sell it as "if only those fucking worthless democrats weren't in power" with the implication being that they would be much better able to govern with all three houses of government under their control.

...so, ha ha ha ha ha, eat shit bastards, and such to them. Sadly I am incapable of comforting beliefs and thus have no reason to expect the big orange fuckup will actually lose any significant number of republican votes, so I am left with nothing but being amused at him continuously screwing over the worst-supervillain-shitbags in congress as they try to fuck over everyone else.
Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
The VectorCurses+1 tileset strikes the square set and the severed part sails off in an arc!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • :thonk:
    • View Profile
« Reply #13235 on: September 24, 2017, 06:07:10 pm »

Donald Trump supports free speech except burning the flag should be a felony and people shouldn't be allowed to question the authority of the President and libel laws should apply to criticism of public figures and neo-nazis should be allowed to march around assaulting minorities and hecklers at rallies should be lynched by the mob and people who oppose the President should be publicly targeted by him for his followers and news organizations shouldn't be allowed to speak ill of the government and people who run against him in elections should be jailed and

You know, free speech*!
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • I have a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13236 on: September 25, 2017, 02:02:17 am »

Are you implying its a ridiculous example or that a king wouldn't have had that power?
Both tbh

Yep, both. It's a ridiculous example and a king wouldn't have that power.
Love, scriver~

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #13237 on: September 25, 2017, 02:28:48 am »

Both tbh

Yep, both. It's a ridiculous example and a king wouldn't have that power.

I feel like this is something of a comment on how Americans in general sometimes view the world - that many of them completely forget that several European countries (some of them bastions of liberalism and progress!) are in fact monarchies. It's surprisingly easy to let the distinction between a (parliamentary or similar) monarchy, an absolute monarchy, and a dictatorship blur in ones head.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Tu jee, veerey / Toofano se lad ke [Fight, brave one / Fight those internal storms and]
Tu jeet, veerey / Zakhmo se bhid kar bhi tu [Win, brave one / Weather those wounds and]
Firse uthega yaara [Rise once again]

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13238 on: September 25, 2017, 02:47:42 am »

Well... yeah. Considering most (all?) of the ones that don't have pretty serious problems related to it are monarchies more or less in name only, with a near entirely ornamental "ruler"... is pretty easy to not pay much attention to the glorified figurehead that's functionally powerless outside of soft influence, or would be committing variously literal suicide if they tried to exercise anything else they ostensibly had, and largely refer to monarchies as... not those.

Far as I'm aware most or all of the bastiony sorts are about as much a monarchy as my other one is bebelled and requesting a tug, really...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • I have a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13239 on: September 25, 2017, 02:56:23 am »

Doesn't matter, nonconstitutional monarchies are not automatically boundaryless tyrannical monarchies where the king can do whatever he whims and everyone else just had to go along with it.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13240 on: September 25, 2017, 03:00:00 am »

Doesn't matter, nonconstitutional monarchies are not automatically boundaryless tyrannical monarchies where the king can do whatever he whims and everyone else just had to go along with it.

Caligula levels of doing whatever he/she whims and everybody having to go along with it tends to result in getting assassinated anyways. Regardless, historical absolute monarchies could still get pretty dang tyrannical.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:03:13 am by smjjames »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13241 on: September 25, 2017, 03:00:09 am »

Greetings from the Kingdom of the Netherlands
Optimists have just used up the last bit of hope. Run for your lives!

Enjoy the freedom to explore the limits of your constraints

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13242 on: September 25, 2017, 03:10:43 am »

Greetings from the Kingdom of the Netherlands

There's also UK, aka United Kingdom. Europe still has a whole lot of royalty kicking around, though they're all more or less relegated to figureheads these days and the idea of royalty is changing from the way it was thought of a hundred, or even 200 years ago. Especially with the younger generation in England.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13243 on: September 25, 2017, 03:13:32 am »

That's what I witnessed, anyway. They seemed to feel like their choice was between Emperor Palpatine or The Kurgan.

If only Trump was as awesome as Kurgan. 

One of my favorite villains.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13244 on: September 25, 2017, 04:39:37 am »

The French had the right idea for once.  The best way to limit the influence of monarchs is to make them shorter
I recently became a objectivist, I am reasonably certain that means all my opinions are now universal fact.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 881 882 [883] 884 885 ... 2091