Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1004 1005 [1006] 1007 1008 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3588787 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Congress attempts to cross streams while working on tax 'reform'
« Reply #15075 on: December 01, 2017, 08:58:26 pm »

Regardless of whether you think the position is an unimportant one or not, he was with the campaign for a long time and was very senior in it. As was mentioned, he was considered a VP candidate at one point. You don't put 'a nobody' in your VP list.

Besides, he links directly to Kushner who IS in Trumps innermost inner circle, which makes him very valuable to Mueller.

Apparently you do, because he was a complete surprise to everyone being on the list. It was likely pushed from within, by someone like Kushner. Also found this ironic little quote...

In February, Flynn said Hillary Clinton should drop out of the presidential race while the FBI investigated her use of a private email server.
“If it were me, I would have been out the door and probably in jail,” Flynn told CNN.

I kinda digressed from my original meaning though... I never meant to say he's a complete nobody. However given his position at the time and the fact he's been out of a job for the better part of a year now, going after Flynn won't really change anything going on in the government CURRENTLY unless something else comes out of it. I expect more will come out of it, but this is not the time to be celebrating. For all we know he'll roll over onto someone else who's been more or less sidelined (Wild guess at Tillerson based on recent events.) We may or may not get another year of drip feed of "X is about to give us testimony any day now." And since each one "cooperated" we'll end up with a bunch of advisors and department heads that got a slap on the wrist and not much else and a President that's surrounded himself with a bunch of low lifes but has nothing solid that can be used against him.

I've seen this situation in the principal's office when I was in school. A blame B, B blames C, C blames D, principal gets so tired of the runaround and whoever ends up in the room, whether they did it or not, gets a tongue lashing and sent back to class and nothing else comes of it other than everyone's wasted time.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:00:14 pm by sluissa »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15076 on: December 01, 2017, 09:09:39 pm »

I think I was misunderstood :3

I was saying "waiting for evidence" that Obama was involved in any of this. While it is implausible, it does not seem impossible.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15077 on: December 01, 2017, 09:10:52 pm »

I seriously doubt Tillerson would help with the campaign part since he only came on board after nomination. However, given the abuse that he's gotten from Trump, it's certainly possible that he'll talk to Mueller if Mueller thinks that Tillerson has anything important, or Tillerson wants to tell Mueller something.

I get your point about it being too soon to celebrate. And yeah, it's possible that Trump simply surrounded himself with a bunch of incompetents and lowlifes with nothing that can be used against him.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:15:39 pm by smjjames »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15078 on: December 02, 2017, 02:51:23 am »

So, looks like the Senate tax bill passed, with only one holdout from the Republicans.

Can't wait to see the train wreck unfold from here.

If nothing else, it'll be interesting to see what Frankenstein's monster we get from the reconciled version.  Then it'll be very disconcerting when it passes too.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15079 on: December 02, 2017, 06:24:18 am »

From what I am reading, it is corporate Christmas.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15080 on: December 02, 2017, 09:58:45 am »

Can't wait to see what problems crop up that would have been discovered with thorough vetting and examination. Made worse by the fact that they apparently fast scribbled their amendments onto the tax stuff which are illegible, so, the amendments might not even get applied. It's already a train wreck.

They aren't done just yet though, they still have to negotiate with the House over the differences in the bill (this is the 'attempting to cross streams' part) and then both chambers have to pass it again.

An update on Alabama, a poll is showing Doug Jones slightly above Moore, https://www.axios.com/poll-alabama-leans-towards-jones-as-election-nears-2514294316.html , so, despite the swings that we've been seeing,mite going to be a close and competitive race.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 10:43:02 am by smjjames »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Semate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15081 on: December 02, 2017, 11:09:06 am »

It's a bill that's so bad that we don't even know how bad it is yet, because they're keeping it hidden. Not a good sign.

But hey, a 51-49 split, interesting. Gotta hope Roy Moore gets hammered in Alabama. One fewer Republican seat could make all the difference.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Semate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15082 on: December 02, 2017, 11:23:38 am »

Doubt it'd be in time to affect the tax vote since it takes a while to proccess the election, I've read that whoever wins won't get seated until after Christmas.

And yeah, the bill is so bad that you'd have to expect problems and unintended things to come up that would have been weeded out with a thorough vetting. Like for example, during one of the attempts to repeal Obamacare, an outside group vetting it found a problem (forget what it was) which got fixed. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

And then there's those illegibly scribbled amendments.....

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15083 on: December 02, 2017, 11:50:18 am »

Well, I suppose we can always hope that one of those illegible amendments was an attempt by a confused, sleep-deprived Senator to repeal and replace taxes.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15084 on: December 02, 2017, 12:04:03 pm »

Electoral fallout isn't even a consideration here
I hope they remember that when it all comes crashing down on their heads for passing such a stupid bill as their only victory. The donors can't save them with votes, they're a minority.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 12:07:46 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15085 on: December 02, 2017, 12:14:00 pm »

Well the main problem is that they probably aren't actually putting tax cuts on things that are shown to have a good ratio of fiscal stimulus for the dollar spent.

e.g. if you look up fiscal multipliers, then several sources state that the highest one for any tax is payroll tax. e.g. each dollar given back on payroll tax creates the most growth possible of any dollar given back. And it's kind of obvious why it would do that, since cutting payroll tax makes it more affordable to hire people, allowing businesses to offer higher wages and bring more workers into employment, while also giving workers more money to spend. It's a win-win, and it's obvious why it would work and give across-the-board benefits.

Yet, why don't they even include that in their cuts? Since I assume they aren't just morons, then I have to conclude that growing the economy isn't actually a goal they care about. What they care is that their donors are able to maximize their slice of the pie. This could end up as a real threat in "post expansion" capitalism: if the ultra-wealthy basically maneuver to have the biggest slice of the pie, even if that means shrinking the pie. And sadly that seems to be exactly what they want to do.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 12:25:36 pm by Reelya »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15086 on: December 02, 2017, 02:14:30 pm »

I hope that isn’t just occurring to you. The people at the top seem to see accumulation of more pennies as an end in itself.

Why should the folk who inherited their parents millions share their hard-earned wealth with those lazy plebs on welfare?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15087 on: December 02, 2017, 04:19:45 pm »

Heh, funnily enough, you could crash the economy by just hoarding pennies. (each penny costs 1.5 pennies to mint!)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 04:28:06 pm by Reelya »

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15089 on: December 02, 2017, 05:09:43 pm »

The hilarious thing is that's probably cheaper then regular tile.
Pages: 1 ... 1004 1005 [1006] 1007 1008 ... 3514