Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1034 1035 [1036] 1037 1038 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3532685 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Senate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15525 on: December 12, 2017, 03:48:27 am »

No Christian really wants to call out another Christian.
As the resident Catholic I'd like to chime in here and say that Luther was an antisemitic, bigoted, kill-the-poor thunderstorm-fearing yellowbelly, while Henry VIII. was a horny bastard who should've been given the Louis XVI. treatment. And don't even get me started on Mormons.

Throwing stones in glass houses, Helgoland...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not sure if smbc guy understands the saying or not...
Love, scriver~

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Senate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15526 on: December 12, 2017, 07:59:31 am »

No Christian really wants to call out another Christian.
As the resident Catholic I'd like to chime in here and say that Luther was an antisemitic, bigoted, kill-the-poor thunderstorm-fearing yellowbelly, while Henry VIII. was a horny bastard who should've been given the Louis XVI. treatment. And don't even get me started on Mormons.

Throwing stones in glass houses, Helgoland...
It's called taking the piss - are you familiar with the concept? I thought the Mormon comment would've been enough to tip anyone off.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #15527 on: December 12, 2017, 08:24:00 am »

"animus" can also mean "hostility", though.  Yeah I'd sooner use it to describe a golem's motivation, but that's an unrelated "animus".
I basically never see it used as anything except indicating hostility, heh. Y'all mentioning it reminded me animus/anima is a thing (and also reminds me piers anthony exists, so damn the both of you yesthisisajoke. barely.), but I've never thought of that usage as the primary one. Discussion of metaphysical animating forces doesn't seem to come up as often as fancy terms for disliking people...

Any case, wierd had it, more or less. Way to rephrase it is that A* folks have roughly as much reason to be pissed off and swearing at any religious group as they do at christians or christians do at non-christians, since with rare exception all of the latter lot shit on the first about as hard.

It's fairly expected that a secular inclined individual will be roughly as likely as a non-secular one to be spitting religiously charged vulgarities, basically. Reasons for intergroup hostility (and by extension slurs based on religious belief in one way or another) on religious grounds don't exactly reduce in either direction just because one isn't particularly religion inclined or the other isn't part of the local majority religion,* heh.

... also @helg, I think I like it, too. It's kinda' annoying to refer to atheists and agnostics at the same time given most shared descriptors you could use are invalidated by one lot or another, so letter + wildcard is a good bit lazier quicker and easier. Dunno if it's used much or not, that post was the first time I got fed up enough with trying to remember an appropriate one to use the shorthand.

* Though, that said, from what I understand about what minority status tends to do to societal rampancy it probably does reduce friction between them and other demographics fairly often. Religious group keeping their head down isn't quite as likely to be pissing off or pissing on someone, least so long as no one's latched on to them as a scapegoat or somethin'.

=====

Anywaaaaay. Today's the day we get to find out if alabama really does prefer pedophilia to democrat party affiliation. Given how wack the polling seems to be, it could be an interesting day, one way or another.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15528 on: December 12, 2017, 09:56:47 am »

Every time I see A* I read "A-Star" like "Sagitarrius A*" and thus conclude that the various folks who don't want to have a religion but still feel the need to answer the question--when the correct move is not to play, answering a broken question is not necessary--are infected with brainbugs from the last time Sag A* had an active accretion disc.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #15529 on: December 12, 2017, 02:35:11 pm »

Every time I see A* I read "A-Star" like "Sagitarrius A*" and thus conclude that the various folks who don't want to have a religion but still feel the need to answer the question--when the correct move is not to play, answering a broken question is not necessary--are infected with brainbugs from the last time Sag A* had an active accretion disc.

See, I read A* and think of the search algorithm, so I'm even more confused at this moment.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #15530 on: December 12, 2017, 04:25:58 pm »

https://www.trumpisnotabovethelaw.org/event/mueller-firing-rapid-response/search/

If Trump fires Mueller, there will  be protests within hours. I love it.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15531 on: December 12, 2017, 04:36:08 pm »

I get the visual metaphor they were going for in the logo, but it sort of looks like The Trumps divided by The Law with the line there.

Wouldn't be surprised if protests started springing up within a half hour of the news going out, given how fast word travels these days.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15532 on: December 12, 2017, 06:22:57 pm »

Anywaaaaay. Today's the day we get to find out if alabama really does prefer pedophilia to democrat party affiliation. Given how wack the polling seems to be, it could be an interesting day, one way or another.

40 minutes till poll closing time.

According to Politico, Roy Moore was down by 4 percent. Let's see what happens.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15534 on: December 12, 2017, 06:32:17 pm »

You mean an hour and a half from now. And the polls have been all over the place, so, I wouldn't go by the polls. About the only takeaway from those is that it's going to be a competitive one.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15535 on: December 12, 2017, 06:34:23 pm »

Also, it's been ruled last minute that Alabama will be allowed to delete all records of electronic voting for...well, I'm sure you know why, since they've declined to say why. Trumpist Democracy rears its head again.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15536 on: December 12, 2017, 06:36:56 pm »

You mean an hour and a half from now. And the polls have been all over the place, so, I wouldn't go by the polls. About the only takeaway from those is that it's going to be a competitive one.

Internet said 40m :[]

My faith is shattered. Does anyone have any Richard Dawkins I can borrow?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15537 on: December 12, 2017, 06:42:27 pm »

Also, it's been ruled last minute that Alabama will be allowed to delete all records of electronic voting for...well, I'm sure you know why, since they've declined to say why. Trumpist Democracy rears its head again.

It's about transparency and making sure there is an actual record in case tampering is suspected or either side wants to do a recount, not about voter suppression. This specific case is anyway and would actually apply to any other state.

Internet said 40m :[]

My faith is shattered. Does anyone have any Richard Dawkins I can borrow?

Link to whatever says 40 min? Maybe you were thinking about exit polls. and not sure what evolution has to do with voting....

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15538 on: December 12, 2017, 06:46:18 pm »

I think he was being silly. He’s a person of faith, faith shattered, Dawkins is a prominent atheist, thus the first port of call for his now faithless existence.

My interpretation, at least.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15539 on: December 12, 2017, 06:48:54 pm »

I know him better as an author on evolution rather than being an atheist, which is probably why I didn't make the connection.
Pages: 1 ... 1034 1035 [1036] 1037 1038 ... 3511