Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1037 1038 [1039] 1040 1041 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3595860 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Senate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15570 on: December 12, 2017, 10:31:36 pm »

Go Alabama! Good job! that's not something most people say a lot.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Senate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15571 on: December 12, 2017, 10:41:00 pm »

NYT has 95% reporting with a 1.3% margin for Jones.

So this is what it took for Alabama to send a Democrat to Congress.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #15572 on: December 12, 2017, 10:44:25 pm »

Congratulations Alabama. Enjoy your abortions and homosexuality.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15573 on: December 12, 2017, 10:45:55 pm »

I feel like I just watched a man bare his teeth against fate. Purple Alabama. Not even a conservative Dem.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15574 on: December 12, 2017, 10:48:22 pm »

NYT has 95% reporting with a 1.3% margin for Jones.

So this is what it took for Alabama to send a Democrat to Congress.

You mean to the Senate, they do have some Dems in the House. And yeah, it took all these factors, a terrible candidate, an incoming Dem wave, and record low presidential approval.

I feel like I just watched a man bare his teeth against fate. Purple Alabama. Not even a conservative Dem.

Could be conservative on some things and liberal on others, but yes, it's a hell of a feat.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15575 on: December 12, 2017, 10:55:28 pm »

Congratulations Alabama. Enjoy your abortions and homosexuality.
Mandatory for everyone, naturally~
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15576 on: December 12, 2017, 10:58:04 pm »

Hell has officially frozen over.  I don't believe it.

Also, if the numbers I'm seeing are accurate, the write-ins probably tipped the balance against Moore.  That's unexpected.  I know there would always be write-ins, but not nearly 2% of the vote in a more normal election, I would think.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15577 on: December 12, 2017, 11:04:14 pm »

The high number of write-ins really are unusual. Going back to 1990, the only time write-ins were anywhere near as high was 2014, the rest of the time they were less than 0.20%.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #15578 on: December 12, 2017, 11:08:29 pm »

This is a nice surprise.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15579 on: December 12, 2017, 11:26:52 pm »

I don't think you saw many people flipping so much as you saw the Democratic base in Alabama (black people and some white city folk) smelling blood in the water and responding by turning out.

I'd like to say this presages a blue tide next fall, but only if Republicans choose to run absolutely polarizing dregs-of-humanity candidates in all their races. (and to be fair, they do have a lot of those to choose from).

Typically, deep red or deep blue states become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Dems don't turn out in Alabama because they usually don't have a shot in hell at winning.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15580 on: December 12, 2017, 11:35:53 pm »

Chumming the water in the first place did require some people to flip, though. I'll be curious how many actually did.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15581 on: December 12, 2017, 11:39:52 pm »

And now Roy Moore is being stubborn and not conceding because he wants to wait until all the votes are in and until tomorrow, because 'god wills it' or somesuch. I guess it's fair enough if he wants to wait until it's all in, but still.... He's also calling for a recount.

Chumming the water in the first place did require some people to flip, though. I'll be curious how many actually did.

At least 22k people didn't flip and instead did a write in, that's still pretty significant.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15582 on: December 12, 2017, 11:42:32 pm »

Looks like the final count is in, and just barely within spoiler territory. ~92% of the write-ins would've had to go for Moore to swing it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 11:47:10 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15583 on: December 12, 2017, 11:45:44 pm »

Trump has tweeted some nonsense about the Republicans having another shot at the seat in a very short period of time while simultaneously congratulating Jones on his hard-fought victory and maligning it ‘cause of all the write-in votes.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15584 on: December 12, 2017, 11:49:30 pm »

Trump has tweeted some nonsense about the Republicans having another shot at the seat in a very short period of time while simultaneously congratulating Jones on his hard-fought victory and maligning it ‘cause of all the write-in votes.

Relatively speaking, it's a short period of time because Jones isn't doing a six year term, he's filling in the rest of Sessions term and that seat will be up in 2020.
Pages: 1 ... 1037 1038 [1039] 1040 1041 ... 3515