Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1091 1092 [1093] 1094 1095 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3534512 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Back to work Congress!
« Reply #16380 on: January 12, 2018, 08:29:10 pm »

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2015/04/16/what-are-corporations-obligations-to-shareholders/corporations-dont-have-to-maximize-profits

Judging by this article I thought I knew something I did not.  I could have sworn I was told the name of a specific court ruling but I guess there never was one.  :/
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16381 on: January 12, 2018, 09:19:24 pm »

Diplomatic fallout already from countries Trump maligned.

I hope they explain it straight that Trump is an ignorant racist a-hole, and there really is no explaining the remarks.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #16382 on: January 12, 2018, 10:52:14 pm »

Do the needs/wants of a stupendously large number outweigh the needs/wants of the merely huge number?
Yes. That's just basic math. More is more than less, and less is less than more.
Also, you talk a lot about sacrificing for the greater good. The stance of the left generally is not that anything should be taken away from anyone, but rather that new resources should flow towards those who need them.
If there's a table with 99 starving people with empty plates, and 1 fat guy whose plate is overflowing with food, and you bring in a cart full of food and just park it next to that fat guy, and you don't see anything wrong with that picture, there is something wrong with your moral compass.
from where did that new cart of food originate?  Most on the right would say that if the already "wealthy" person made it themselves (or paid for it to be made) then it's perfectly fine that the food would only be delivered to them.
Other subtle questions - what level of inequality is "tolerable"?  Unless you argue that everyone should have exactly the same amount of wealth, that means there is some ratio on the spectrum between "everyone equal" and "1 has everything, the rest have nothing" that is acceptable.  How do you know you've achieved optimum?

The example was deliberately oversimplified to demonstrate the fundamental precept that should serve as a guiding principle when determining appropriate protocols in more complex situations. The intention was not to be an argument for absolute equality in wealth and privilege regardless of individual circumstances, as that path is certainly problematic in it's own way. But since you've asked for more details...

The fat guy is the land-owner, and the starving people are the laborers who actually work on the land. The food does not magically appear, but rather there is a governing body of elected representatives from many farms who keep the farms safe and stable, and take a portion of the food created on the farms to feed themselves and their guards and other associated parties. A newly elected leader in the governing infrastructure has decided to tax less food from the farms, which he can't really afford to do, but he's doing it anyway. He had a choice, to take less food from the fat landlords, or take less food from the starving laborers. He decided to go with the former option, in hopes that the fat landlords who already have far more food than they can possibly eat and yet share none of it with the starving laborers, might finally decide to share now that they have a little bit more.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16383 on: January 12, 2018, 11:19:49 pm »

Do the needs/wants of a stupendously large number outweigh the needs/wants of the merely huge number?
Yes. That's just basic math. More is more than less, and less is less than more.
Also, you talk a lot about sacrificing for the greater good. The stance of the left generally is not that anything should be taken away from anyone, but rather that new resources should flow towards those who need them.
If there's a table with 99 starving people with empty plates, and 1 fat guy whose plate is overflowing with food, and you bring in a cart full of food and just park it next to that fat guy, and you don't see anything wrong with that picture, there is something wrong with your moral compass.
from where did that new cart of food originate?  Most on the right would say that if the already "wealthy" person made it themselves (or paid for it to be made) then it's perfectly fine that the food would only be delivered to them.
Other subtle questions - what level of inequality is "tolerable"?  Unless you argue that everyone should have exactly the same amount of wealth, that means there is some ratio on the spectrum between "everyone equal" and "1 has everything, the rest have nothing" that is acceptable.  How do you know you've achieved optimum?

The example was deliberately oversimplified to demonstrate the fundamental precept that should serve as a guiding principle when determining appropriate protocols in more complex situations. The intention was not to be an argument for absolute equality in wealth and privilege regardless of individual circumstances, as that path is certainly problematic in it's own way. But since you've asked for more details...

The fat guy is the land-owner, and the starving people are the laborers who actually work on the land. The food does not magically appear, but rather there is a governing body of elected representatives from many farms who keep the farms safe and stable, and take a portion of the food created on the farms to feed themselves and their guards and other associated parties. A newly elected leader in the governing infrastructure has decided to tax less food from the farms, which he can't really afford to do, but he's doing it anyway. He had a choice, to take less food from the fat landlords, or take less food from the starving laborers. He decided to go with the former option, in hopes that the fat landlords who already have far more food than they can possibly eat and yet share none of it with the starving laborers, might finally decide to share now that they have a little bit more.

That last bit sounds like a pretty succinct analogy for trickle-down economics. Though maybe an oversimplified analogy, but it still works.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16384 on: January 13, 2018, 04:47:13 pm »

I just suddenly realized that I am kinda relieved that Trump does not believe in global warming.
He'd be the guy that comes with terrible solutions, like 'killing all animal life on the planet will reduce CO2 emissions more than anything else. We must form a coalition of the willing for the War on Animals'.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16385 on: January 13, 2018, 04:51:11 pm »

I just suddenly realized that I am kinda relieved that Trump does not believe in global warming.
He'd be the guy that comes with terrible solutions, like 'killing all animal life on the planet will reduce CO2 emissions more than anything else. We must form a coalition of the willing for the War on Animals'.

Australia tried it.  It didn't work.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16386 on: January 13, 2018, 05:30:33 pm »

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #16387 on: January 13, 2018, 06:15:02 pm »

I was going to make a sarcastic joke about a citizen’s arrest.

Then I got ninja’d by reality.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16388 on: January 13, 2018, 06:20:41 pm »

You know, stable and genius are some of the last adjectives I'd assign to Donald.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16389 on: January 13, 2018, 06:31:03 pm »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16390 on: January 13, 2018, 07:21:28 pm »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16391 on: January 13, 2018, 07:30:37 pm »

Upsetting Trump?

Its treason, then

Cut to Trump spiraling over his desk with the American Flag as a spear and cutting down two flanking British mayors before Sadiq Khan engages him with a replica of Excalibur.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16392 on: January 13, 2018, 10:12:35 pm »

This is the best headline of 2018 - https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/trump-supporters-attempt-to-arrest-london-mayor/ar-AAuDxQJ

That thing went from plain silly to outright disturbing, they had brought a gallows to the area where Sadiq Khan was speaking. Not sure if it was the same group or a different one, but you really can't speculate very far what they might have intended to do with the mayor of London.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16393 on: January 13, 2018, 10:48:53 pm »

Support for Trump in Europe is just as hyperbolic and ridiculous as their opposition to him, it seems. Whatever, so long as it just stays over there. It is funny though, in a depressing sort of way, that foreigners feel so strongly about our president that they're willing to fight each other over their opinions on him.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16394 on: January 13, 2018, 11:21:38 pm »

So did these guys actually say for what crimes they were trying to arrest him?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 1091 1092 [1093] 1094 1095 ... 3511