Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1093 1094 [1095] 1096 1097 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3532861 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Back to work Congress!
« Reply #16410 on: January 15, 2018, 11:21:13 am »

I don't think Turkey would actually risk confrontation with US troops, though they've definetly clashed with US supported groups. Besides, that autonomous Kurdish region already existed.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16411 on: January 15, 2018, 11:27:14 am »

I reckon there is a difference between untrained autonomous Kurdish rebels and military trained/backed autonomous Kurdish rebels. 
It is very likely those guys will take their military training and leftover military gear to go liberate Kurdistan once this thing with common enemy #1 is dealt with.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16412 on: January 15, 2018, 11:44:24 am »

Wouldn't turkey have to attack themselves as a nato member?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16413 on: January 15, 2018, 11:52:47 am »

Autonomous Kurds are not part of NATO nor are they officially recognized as an independent country or anything of that sort either. 
It could degenerate into a game of US military personal playing 'human shields', but very unlikely.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16414 on: January 15, 2018, 12:09:29 pm »

Autonomous Kurds are not part of NATO nor are they officially recognized as an independent country or anything of that sort either. 
It could degenerate into a game of US military personal playing 'human shields', but very unlikely.

Shooting at any Green Berets hanging out with the Pesh would certainly be attacks against a NATO member, though. From my best reading, for everyone to fulfil their treaty obligations, every NATO country would need to declare war on themselves and every other NATO country. Then Macedonia will stand atop the world, thanking their lucky stars that they're (and the now destroyed by fratricidal interNATO war Greek wastelands) so obstinate about the name.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16415 on: January 15, 2018, 01:10:40 pm »

Seems a bit strange to make moves that might piss Turkey off in times when Erdogan seem like he wants to buddy up to Putin. Unless they are deliberately trying to provoke Turkey into making a choice between the two?

Meh, I probably shouldn't try to play armchair global politics strategist anyway.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16416 on: January 15, 2018, 01:30:36 pm »

It's okay, you're probably doing better than the current administration is. It's a new year, anyone can join in on the speculation and even have good odds of figuring out better courses of action! Mostly because they're making pretty hella' shit ones, but hey :V

That said. The current administration being itself, assuming the move has roughly sod all to do with geopolitics might be a good idea. Is pissing off turkey, or whoever, something that will resonate with the solid base of GOP voters? What about send the actors involved into the arms of one group or another that's been shitting out the bribes (putin would more or less count, here, mind you)? If yes, or of a similar nature, you've probably figured out what the people making the decision is actually considering to be of import.

Thinking these chucklefucks are thinking much about stuff like what turkey may or may not do could pretty easily be giving them too much credit, basically.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16417 on: January 15, 2018, 02:03:50 pm »

Aside from it being a muslim country, I'm not sure what his base's (or Republicans in general) opinion would be on Turkey.

Trump hasn't even changed the US policy regarding the Kurds, in fact, he's just continuing Obama's stuff. Though I think he's actually accelerated it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16418 on: January 15, 2018, 03:23:00 pm »

Shooting at any Green Berets hanging out with the Pesh would certainly be attacks against a NATO member, though. From my best reading, for everyone to fulfil their treaty obligations, every NATO country would need to declare war on themselves and every other NATO country.

Aside from it being a muslim country, I'm not sure what his base's (or Republicans in general) opinion would be on Turkey.
Good at Thanksgiving, inferior to deep-fried ham the rest of the year.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16419 on: January 15, 2018, 03:28:24 pm »

It's funny because Turkey declared war on the Turkish Empire

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16421 on: January 15, 2018, 06:03:40 pm »

For once it's probably a misstatement. It was 52 whatever the planes were that got offloaded, and particularly at that age that sort of verbal slip up isn't the most uncommon thing in the world.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16422 on: January 15, 2018, 06:28:49 pm »

I'm leaning more towards "fucking idiot" really, I'm sure if it was pointed out he'd double down on it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16423 on: January 15, 2018, 06:38:55 pm »

How many times has Trump admitted he was wrong?  I'm pretty sure during the elections he admitted that he... something... about the p*ssy grabbing tape, but I'm actually not sure he admitted he made a mistake there.  I've also read that he has since said it didn't actually happen, but at this point in life I'm not sure if it was a disreputable news source or Trump suffering from dementia or compulsive lying.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16424 on: January 15, 2018, 06:40:59 pm »

For once it's probably a misstatement. It was 52 whatever the planes were that got offloaded, and particularly at that age that sort of verbal slip up isn't the most uncommon thing in the world.
Same. I mean, don't we have bigger things to complain about with Trump with than a mix-up on 52 F-35s or 52 F-52s?

Actually, funny story about this kind of stuff. My parents (reluctantly) voted Trump. Most of my family about that age or older seem to have, actually. A lot of it was because of stories like this; these are such trivial stories intended to smear Trump further that all it does is desensitize them to the actual major problems when they get covered in the news, because they just see it as more of the same. I heard quite a bit about "media bias" during the holidays, I must say, and they don't even follow Breitbart, Infowars, or the usual suspects of right-wing loony media: it's 60 Minutes and NBC news for them. 
Pages: 1 ... 1093 1094 [1095] 1096 1097 ... 3511