Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1158 1159 [1160] 1161 1162 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3533301 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Russia investigation sheneinighans
« Reply #17385 on: February 22, 2018, 04:20:23 pm »

Its far harder to make a new gun (or modify an existing one) than it is to make new magazines.  A gun magazine is not high tech.

Plus, there's an easy loophole.  Sell the box and springs separately, let someone else put up a guide on the internet to how to combine them.  If we can't outlaw AR-15s, how are we supposed to outlaw small boxes?

We also need to do an audit as to where our current systems are not being enforced- as we have seen, there are instances where it *should* have but didn't.
Every school shooting that has ever happened in this country could have (and usually did) occur without anyone except the shooter breaking the law.  Even the guy way back in the day who tried to blow up a school, had legally purchased the explosives for use in his job.  Course, between now and then the laws governing explosives and fertilizer have been tightened greatly...

Its totally legal in the US to buy a gun and leave it lying around where some idiot can pick it up.  The existing background checks, waiting periods and licenses are insufficient to make sure that legal gun owners are prepared for the responsibility.  On top of that, the primary loophole in the system (gun shows) has been known for years, we don't need an audit to reveal that.  We need the NRA to stop protecting the loophole.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17386 on: February 22, 2018, 04:23:11 pm »

Does anyone have good statistics on how many school shootings are committed by current/former students of their targets versus those committed by unrelated people?
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17387 on: February 22, 2018, 05:41:24 pm »

Quote from: Jennifer Baker, NRA Spokeswoman
Any law that requires an individual to be 21 or older to buy a firearm “effectively prohibits” adults aged 18-20 from buying a firearm, Baker said

YOU DON'T SAY.

Also, forget the supposed need, how would a single mother afford "the most effective self-defense rifle"? A quick look-up puts AR-15's at around and above $1500 and me on some watch list somewhere. That generally goes above what I, a single man with money handling-skill still living his parents, can afford for something with a self-contradicting description.

Maybe for a match rife.
You can build an AR for ~$350 right now.
You can outright buy one for ~$500.

A PSA is just as good as a Noveske for someone just down the hallway.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17388 on: February 22, 2018, 05:50:15 pm »

Maybe from a private seller. I've been looking into picking one up lately, and I've been coming up with ~$900-$1000 kit prices and ~$1300 off-the-shelf prices.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17389 on: February 22, 2018, 06:23:16 pm »

For the record, I don't mean to say that we shouldn't enact gun control measures. I'm just agreeing with the point that I have heard that our current systems don't work properly. The gun show loophole is a very big example of that.

EDIT: I've also heard proposals to instead of banning things like bump stocks, moving them to the more highly regulated category suppressors currently are in. This may get more traction from the NRA, but I doubt it.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17390 on: February 22, 2018, 06:27:50 pm »

Not offhand, and I'm a bit too drunk to go researching right now.
I haven't had alcohol in about a year now, and I'm always too drunk to try researching American politics.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17391 on: February 22, 2018, 06:31:31 pm »

EDIT: I've also heard proposals to instead of banning things like bump stocks, moving them to the more highly regulated category suppressors currently are in. This may get more traction from the NRA, but I doubt it.

The NRA objection to the bump stock ban wasn't "we don't want this banned", it was "the wording on this proposal is too broadly defined, and if it was interpreted even slightly liberally would make every part on a firearm illegal". They have been advocating for the ATF to simply classify them as NFA items under the reasoning that this would be much quicker than Congressional action, but they've shown very little objection to getting rid of the things entirely.

@penguinofhonor

Thanks for the link. I suspect that there's a disconnect between the local chapter and the national organization on this matter.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17392 on: February 23, 2018, 06:46:21 am »

So apparently there was an armed cop at the school, and he stood outside for 4 minutes and did nothing.
The cop has been sent with forced retirement now.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/schoolagent-bleef-buiten-wachten-tijdens-bloedbad-in-florida~a4572973/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17393 on: February 23, 2018, 07:26:47 am »

Mabe he needed more guns on him to intervene.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17394 on: February 23, 2018, 08:54:40 am »

Wait a minute, you’re telling me that a good guy with a gun didn’t stop the bad guy with a gun? Clearly, what we need are more good guys with guns! Let’s arm teachers, as the NRA has been saying for a while, and as the president now agrees. That will definitely make the situation better and not completely work against the literal purpose of being a teacher in the first place.

Just... I don’t know if I’ve ever hated anyone before. I find it exhausting to maintain that kind of investment in anything, especially when that investment is so negative. Now, though, I think I might have actually hit that point with the NRA and parts of the current administration.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17395 on: February 23, 2018, 09:09:11 am »

I swear that the NRA, Trump, and others, are trying to apply the MAD doctrine here, it's the only way that logic of arming the teachers makes sense. You counter nukes with nukes, why not counter guns with guns, except that the MAD doctrine doesn't work here, the level of destruction isn't high enough.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 09:11:11 am by smjjames »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17396 on: February 23, 2018, 09:17:23 am »

I swear that the NRA, Trump, and others, are trying to apply the MAD doctrine here, it's the only way that logic of arming the teachers makes sense. You counter nukes with nukes, why not counter guns with guns, except that the MAD doctrine doesn't work here, the level of destruction isn't high enough.

They're really just spewing nonsense until people stop paying attention. It's a remarkably effective diversionary tactic.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17397 on: February 23, 2018, 09:28:25 am »

It's all well and good until a teacher loses the plot and massacres some children, or a kid steals the teacher's gun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17398 on: February 23, 2018, 09:49:23 am »

It's actually occurred to me that may be the intent. GOP fucking hates public education, and it would not surprise me if someone mentioned that possibility to a shit like DeVos and she just rubbed her hands together gleefully and thought of future charter school bribes as panicked parents transferred kids after just such an event, or had a small orgasm thinking about how they could force firearm training costs and time on already underpaid and overworked teachers.

NRA, of course, just likes it when people get murdered in flashy ways, since it generally causes an uptick in gun sales, i.e. the only thing its leadership gives a singular shit about. Either group suggesting things that would get more kids killed, particularly in a public school, is entirely in line with previous non-empty-word indications of preference.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #17399 on: February 23, 2018, 11:03:22 am »

Access to fire arms only increase the likelihood of one being used. It should be obvious that such an endeavor is not going to work well.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses
Pages: 1 ... 1158 1159 [1160] 1161 1162 ... 3511