Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1252 1253 [1254] 1255 1256 ... 1448

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 541964 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #18795 on: March 13, 2018, 10:01:12 pm »

Called it in the practically 50/50 (ignoring the libertarian and random write ins). Both parties are going to spin it both ways, whoever wins, though this is supposed to be a 'safe' Republican district I believe.

Ispil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18796 on: March 13, 2018, 10:02:06 pm »

It swung 20 points Trump in the Presidential.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."- Voltaire

I transcribe things, too.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18797 on: March 13, 2018, 10:04:35 pm »

Theres that, yeah, which makes this seat something that Republicans should have won handidly. I've seen stuff like the Democrat was running like a Republican, Saccone was just a weak candidate, or Lamb was just a strong Democrat, or any combination of the above.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18798 on: March 13, 2018, 10:07:25 pm »

Margin just widened by 800 votes for Lamb.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18799 on: March 13, 2018, 10:08:34 pm »

*wonders where those sudden 800 votes came from*

Ispil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18800 on: March 13, 2018, 10:09:09 pm »

The remaining 2 precincts.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."- Voltaire

I transcribe things, too.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #18801 on: March 13, 2018, 10:21:23 pm »

CNN currently reporting Lamb(D) up by 847 votes at 99%. 1195 absentee votes yet to be counted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18802 on: March 13, 2018, 10:25:58 pm »

Technically, it's 100% because all precincts are reporting. Those 1195 absentee ballots are going to take some hours to complete, I think they said they were doing it by hand, or maybe that was just in the case of a recount.

edit: Did they say what county? Because Westmoreland county apparently has 1808 absentee ballots to do. Edit: Oh, the 1195 is Washington county.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:31:41 pm by smjjames »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18803 on: March 13, 2018, 11:58:10 pm »

This will go on for ages with the recounts and contesting the ballots and the usual brouhaha about electoral fraud and voter suppression, but whichever way the tie breaks, the implications for progressive Democrats are striking: you can shift Trump Country by twenty points (without an incumbent, et cetera) if you're antagonistic enough to Nancy Pelosi. On the Republican side this is another indication of a flood, and arguably one already broadly priced into their broader expectations, but I wonder if there will be an uptick in maverick rhetoric from the progressives now.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18804 on: March 14, 2018, 07:53:33 am »

This will go on for ages with the recounts and contesting the ballots and the usual brouhaha about electoral fraud and voter suppression, but whichever way the tie breaks, the implications for progressive Democrats are striking: you can shift Trump Country by twenty points (without an incumbent, et cetera) if you're antagonistic enough to Nancy Pelosi. On the Republican side this is another indication of a flood, and arguably one already broadly priced into their broader expectations, but I wonder if there will be an uptick in maverick rhetoric from the progressives now.

Speaking of, what happened to that Post 2016 rebellion against Pelosi. Kinda petered out. She really is one of the cancers of the party who apparently gets a pass because she's got friends with money.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • :thonk:
    • View Profile
« Reply #18805 on: March 14, 2018, 08:32:50 am »

*wonders where those sudden 800 votes came from*

h
a
n
g
i
n
g

c
h
a
d
s
No game.
Only loot box.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18806 on: March 14, 2018, 10:36:13 am »

Holding a margin of 600 votes, Lamb declared victory last night. Probably I would too if I were him; it seems almost safe, and it was probably nice to go to sleep as the Congressman-elect before waking up to the tense monotony of recounts and absentees. Politico says there's no automatic recount provision, but it's probably pretty likely anyway.

He's also taken the step of thanking Trump supporters publicly. As for the race as a whole, on one hand there is something of a perfect storm of factors for Lamb, on the other hand a swing of 20 points is huge and shows either Republicans aren't going to the polls, or there was a huge number of Trump/Lamb crossovers. Either is bad news for Republicans in the future.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18807 on: March 14, 2018, 10:40:55 am »

Well, Lamb is a pro-gun, pro-protectionist centrist. He pressed a lot of buttons that pleases standard Trump voters.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which donít yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18808 on: March 14, 2018, 10:56:58 am »

I think it was a combination of him being basically Republican-lite which appealed to more Trump voters than a generic Democrat would otherwise be, and a whole bunch of other factors.

While the local environment is going to dictate the specifics of how each campaign is done, hopefully the Democrats take the lessions from this one going forward. I'm not sure the exact lessions they should or will take, but it pretty much seems that they should do what they neglected before, reach out to the Trump voters anxieties. It doesn't mean appeal to the worst of the worst, it just means basically listen to the consistuents and support them.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18809 on: March 14, 2018, 11:11:22 am »

It doesn't look like they're going to so far, although there is a possibility that they'll take a second look since the election.

The Ohio gubernatorial primaries is a textbook example. One of the front-runners is under heavy fire from the state party and his opponents because he isn't demanding a state assault weapon ban. Never mind that he has an impeccable record (better than the other candidates on civil rights and environmental issues, even) on every other party issue, and supports all of the other gun control proposals currently being debated. Never mind that even supporters of a ban admit that the idea is extremely unpopular in this state.
My new 3.5 D&D campaign. Now Recruiting!
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 1252 1253 [1254] 1255 1256 ... 1448