Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1207 1208 [1209] 1210 1211 ... 3512

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3576982 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #18120 on: March 13, 2018, 10:25:58 pm »

Technically, it's 100% because all precincts are reporting. Those 1195 absentee ballots are going to take some hours to complete, I think they said they were doing it by hand, or maybe that was just in the case of a recount.

edit: Did they say what county? Because Westmoreland county apparently has 1808 absentee ballots to do. Edit: Oh, the 1195 is Washington county.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:31:41 pm by smjjames »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18121 on: March 13, 2018, 11:58:10 pm »

This will go on for ages with the recounts and contesting the ballots and the usual brouhaha about electoral fraud and voter suppression, but whichever way the tie breaks, the implications for progressive Democrats are striking: you can shift Trump Country by twenty points (without an incumbent, et cetera) if you're antagonistic enough to Nancy Pelosi. On the Republican side this is another indication of a flood, and arguably one already broadly priced into their broader expectations, but I wonder if there will be an uptick in maverick rhetoric from the progressives now.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18122 on: March 14, 2018, 07:53:33 am »

This will go on for ages with the recounts and contesting the ballots and the usual brouhaha about electoral fraud and voter suppression, but whichever way the tie breaks, the implications for progressive Democrats are striking: you can shift Trump Country by twenty points (without an incumbent, et cetera) if you're antagonistic enough to Nancy Pelosi. On the Republican side this is another indication of a flood, and arguably one already broadly priced into their broader expectations, but I wonder if there will be an uptick in maverick rhetoric from the progressives now.

Speaking of, what happened to that Post 2016 rebellion against Pelosi. Kinda petered out. She really is one of the cancers of the party who apparently gets a pass because she's got friends with money.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18123 on: March 14, 2018, 08:32:50 am »

*wonders where those sudden 800 votes came from*

h
a
n
g
i
n
g

c
h
a
d
s
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18124 on: March 14, 2018, 10:36:13 am »

Holding a margin of 600 votes, Lamb declared victory last night. Probably I would too if I were him; it seems almost safe, and it was probably nice to go to sleep as the Congressman-elect before waking up to the tense monotony of recounts and absentees. Politico says there's no automatic recount provision, but it's probably pretty likely anyway.

He's also taken the step of thanking Trump supporters publicly. As for the race as a whole, on one hand there is something of a perfect storm of factors for Lamb, on the other hand a swing of 20 points is huge and shows either Republicans aren't going to the polls, or there was a huge number of Trump/Lamb crossovers. Either is bad news for Republicans in the future.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18125 on: March 14, 2018, 10:40:55 am »

Well, Lamb is a pro-gun, pro-protectionist centrist. He pressed a lot of buttons that pleases standard Trump voters.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18126 on: March 14, 2018, 10:56:58 am »

I think it was a combination of him being basically Republican-lite which appealed to more Trump voters than a generic Democrat would otherwise be, and a whole bunch of other factors.

While the local environment is going to dictate the specifics of how each campaign is done, hopefully the Democrats take the lessions from this one going forward. I'm not sure the exact lessions they should or will take, but it pretty much seems that they should do what they neglected before, reach out to the Trump voters anxieties. It doesn't mean appeal to the worst of the worst, it just means basically listen to the consistuents and support them.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18127 on: March 14, 2018, 11:11:22 am »

It doesn't look like they're going to so far, although there is a possibility that they'll take a second look since the election.

The Ohio gubernatorial primaries is a textbook example. One of the front-runners is under heavy fire from the state party and his opponents because he isn't demanding a state assault weapon ban. Never mind that he has an impeccable record (better than the other candidates on civil rights and environmental issues, even) on every other party issue, and supports all of the other gun control proposals currently being debated. Never mind that even supporters of a ban admit that the idea is extremely unpopular in this state.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18128 on: March 14, 2018, 11:22:07 am »

Given the locality of this specific race, it's harder to get any particular lessions from it since theres nothing else at the same time to compare with.

Whatever the Democrat candidates were doing atm in various special elections (and the NJ and VA off-year regular), those running in the primaries probably shouldn't change anything since they've been wildly successful so far.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18129 on: March 14, 2018, 11:31:17 am »

We'll definetly get a big picture view in November.

As I said, whatever the Democrat candidates have been doing in general, they shouldn't change anything since they've been riding the wave.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18130 on: March 14, 2018, 12:24:25 pm »

What the fuck is going on in the white house?

Who the fuck is Heather Naeurt (spelling maybe right?) and why is she suddenly a couple of slots from being in charge of the state department?

Does anybody know how many members of this cabinet have found out they were fired (or hired!) from a tweet?

How about people finding out from secondhand tweets about a tweet where they were sacked?

Jesusfuck is this real life?

Why is some chick with waterboarding on her resume in any sort of top position in the CIA, much less in charge of it?

Am I having a stroke and imagining all this shit?

Find out in a few hours when Trump inexplicably tweets about it!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18131 on: March 14, 2018, 01:18:17 pm »

In a word: panic. Tillerson had to go for disputing the official stance on the Skripal (attempted) assassination, and Goldstein had to go for disputing the official stance on when and why Tillerson was fired. This is Trump, bereft of most of "his people", madly pushing buttons trying to find one that will make everyone be "loyal" to him to the point of denying basic reality.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 01:21:39 pm by Trekkin »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18132 on: March 14, 2018, 01:21:26 pm »

*popcorn-grabbing intensifies*

It gives me a vague sense of schadenfreude at watching this all crash and burn.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18133 on: March 14, 2018, 03:22:57 pm »

Fire everyone and let Congress sort me out.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18134 on: March 14, 2018, 03:45:39 pm »

In a word: panic. Tillerson had to go for disputing the official stance on the Skripal (attempted) assassination, and Goldstein had to go for disputing the official stance on when and why Tillerson was fired. This is Trump, bereft of most of "his people", madly pushing buttons trying to find one that will make everyone be "loyal" to him to the point of denying basic reality.

He's also been signalling that there are more high level staff changes yet to come. Shulkin is the current one with the target on his back, McMaster and Kelly are said to be on the outs and McMaster is rumored to want to quit by the end of the month.

And all of this is happening mere months before a hypothetical meeting with NK is supposed to take place.
Pages: 1 ... 1207 1208 [1209] 1210 1211 ... 3512