Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1242 1243 [1244] 1245 1246 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3583288 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #18645 on: March 31, 2018, 10:56:50 pm »

Unfortunately he’s a moron in charge. It doesn’t matter how much of a clown he is, his decisions matter.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #18646 on: April 01, 2018, 08:10:10 am »

I'm never going to the US. Apart from anything else, I won't be allowed to come within five feet of the border because I'm a filthy non facebook using foriegner.
But I'm also white, and also a citizen of Ireland, so they might let me in anyway.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18647 on: April 01, 2018, 08:13:56 am »

I'm never going to the US. Apart from anything else, I won't be allowed to come within five feet of the border because I'm a filthy non facebook using foriegner.
But I'm also white, and also a citizen of Ireland, so they might let me in anyway.

Careful now, they'll still confiscate your haggis.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18648 on: April 01, 2018, 08:22:01 am »

Wait, wut? Isn't haggis Scottish, not Irish? Or do they both make it?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18649 on: April 01, 2018, 08:40:53 am »

Does it really matter? They'll confiscate your haggis and throw you out if you insist you don't have any.

... that said, it's traditionally scottish at this point, yes. Doesn't mean other folks can't make it, but eh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18650 on: April 01, 2018, 08:51:34 am »

Nobody makes haggis.

You wait at the bottom of the hills that the wild haggis graze on, waiting for the ones that turn the wrong way round for their asymmetric legs and end up rolling into the haggis-catching nets.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 08:53:13 am by Starver »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18651 on: April 01, 2018, 09:20:17 am »

Apparently there's no real source to the "Haggis is Scottish". Thing other than an 15th century English text saying so. But plenty of other sources that suggest it was a variation on a common old way to make use of cheap pieces of meat that would otherwise quickly go bad. So Starver is not too far off. Trqditionally nobody would decide to make it. They just would end up with it and the choice to toss it or cook it. And when you're hungry enough...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18652 on: April 01, 2018, 09:35:34 am »

I can assume; then, you’ve never had the tastefulness that is haggis, chum? Just ‘cause it’s offal, doesn’t mean it’s awful.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #18653 on: April 01, 2018, 09:47:10 am »

Haggis is definately Scottish. While I'm here, I might also mention that shamrocks and four leafed clovers are two different things, four leafed clovers do not exist, corne beef and abbage is an American invention that is unheard of in Ireland and if you find somewhere that serves it, congratulations, you're in a tourist trap. We do not have pots of gold, we do not marry our cousins, Irish is a minority language barely spoken any more that is related to Welsh and Scots Gallic, the Celts were a cultural group that included most of mainland Europe until the Romans wiped it out except for in the British isles and a few other places, celt is pronounced kelt, not selt (Feckin.. Boston... People...), we are not all farmers, we are not all called Paddy, we do not appreciate Yanks coming over and saying they're Irish when thay couldn't actually apply for Irish citizenship, and for the love of god, we do not eat lucky charms!
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18654 on: April 01, 2018, 09:53:28 am »

Now, B12, I expect four pages of taking the piss out of Ireland.

Also, Glasgow Celtic probably have a lot to do with the mispronunciation of the word “celts”.

I’m fairly surprised you didn’t mention Scotland stealing whiskey from Ireland, though...

Also also, a lot of Scottish folks have Irish heritage, what with a great deal of historic immigration from t’Emerald Isle.

Also also also, American’s are weird with their patriotism  while simultaneously having the  ability to claim being from someplace else. What’s up with that.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18655 on: April 01, 2018, 09:54:58 am »

I'm pretty sure Irish are honorary Americans, same as Canadians. If they were any more American we'd annex you and make you the 51st state (because fuck Puerto Rico, amirite). It helps that you don't like the Queen: being a Republic is non-negotiable (so no Canada, Australia, etc). Besides, Ireland likes being controlled by English-speakers from over the sea, right?

I can assume; then, you’ve never had the tastefulness that is haggis, chum? Just ‘cause it’s offal, doesn’t mean it’s awful.
What a terribly misplaced semicolon. And your puns win you no friends. :P

We do not have pots of gold,
Borrow some from the Swiss then. :P
we do not appreciate Yanks coming over and saying they're Irish when thay couldn't actually apply for Irish citizenship,
Admittedly, Americans weren't all that fond of all the Irish who came over who said they were Irish and who did apply for American citizenship, but if we could look past that, why can't you?
and for the love of god, we do not eat lucky charms!
Why not?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18656 on: April 01, 2018, 10:01:19 am »

Not only do four-leaf clovers exist, but so do five, six, and the world record holding fifty-six leaf clovers. Doesn't have anything to do with Ireland, but they exist.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18657 on: April 01, 2018, 10:04:55 am »

We do not have pots of gold

Sounds like something that a certain Leprechaun would say... Where is it!? Where's the end of the rainbow!?

And what do you mean four leaf clovers aren't real? Anyone can probably go outside and comb through a clover patch and find one within 20 minutes of good combin'. You deserve good luck for doing that.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18658 on: April 01, 2018, 10:07:18 am »

Anyone can probably go outside and comb through a clover patch and find one within 20 minutes of good combin'.

There's a much easier way, just take a normal 3 leaf clover and rip one of the leaves in half, tada, four leaf clover.

Make your own luck in life.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #18659 on: April 01, 2018, 10:10:15 am »

Also also also, American’s are weird with their patriotism  while simultaneously having the  ability to claim being from someplace else. What’s up with that.
I wrote a massive series of paragraphs here denouncing hite supremacists, going over the US's past, explaining multiple parts of it's history, and much much more, but it went somewhat more in deoth than was comfortable for me when I re-read it, and in the interest of not starting an argument, I have edited my own post and taken it all out. Here, however, is a snippet from the end:

"...
Why did I mention neo Nazis again?
Godwin's law, probably."

To summarize my removed post, I shall now add a bit for the records:
Basically, the US is a melting pot, and they're proud of everything they do.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Pages: 1 ... 1242 1243 [1244] 1245 1246 ... 3513