Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1278 1279 [1280] 1281 1282 ... 2285

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 1146326 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #19185 on: April 01, 2018, 11:58:28 am »

Also not so much an irish thing as an "anywhere people eat potatoes" thing, from what I've noticed. Potatoes are apparently fairly universally delicious to human palates.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • Make birds speedrun again
    • View Profile
« Reply #19186 on: April 01, 2018, 12:04:51 pm »

Also not so much an irish thing as an "anywhere people eat potatoes" thing, from what I've noticed. Potatoes are apparently fairly universally delicious to human palates.
Also pretty much grow anywhere, those plucky Andean tubers.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Does a Laconian believe they descend from Achilles? Does an anon believe a greentext happened? Does a child believe in air? We choose the fake news we want. The eternal memri.tv

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #19187 on: April 01, 2018, 01:14:39 pm »

Haggis is definately Scottish.
It is now, but apparently the term itself originated in england :P
It's interesting, since it feels to me sometimes like half of the Scottish Romanticism that turned the Highlanders from Jacobin yokels into true Scots was as much a creation of London as it was Edinburgh: to wit, the obsession with all sorts of kitschy tartanry as fed by royal courts of the UK and beyond.  I look at it the same way as Irish potatoes, Italian tomatoes, or Swiss chocolate. ^_^
* Culise eats more chili-based kimchi

T’be fair, had the English not tried to stamp out rebellious sentiment by crushing the clan system and banning “highland wear” outside of the army, it probably wouldn’t have turned out that way.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19188 on: April 01, 2018, 01:18:24 pm »

I can safely say that I have consumed as much or more potato than your average irish bloke, regardless of how much potato said bloke has consumed. I am an American, and so I consume more french fries per capita than there are strands of grain in Europe.

Your move, Murphy!  :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19189 on: April 01, 2018, 01:22:10 pm »

The real potato eaters are we, the Dutch. Dutch common dishes are all served with potatoes.
Can be boiled, baked, pureed, fried, but it's all potatoes here. Boiled potatoes with gravy is the most common form, after that, pureed.
Hell, one of van Gogh's most famous paintings is even called 'the potato eaters', depicting your average rural 19th century Dutch family at the dinner table.
Optimists have just used up the last bit of hope. Run for your lives!

Enjoy the freedom to explore the limits of your constraints

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19190 on: April 01, 2018, 01:38:29 pm »

I have had few dinners without chips. It is a staple of Scottish dinners.

Also mince n tatties, but I don’t like boiled or mashed, so I give that a miss. Stick with my chips.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19191 on: April 01, 2018, 03:36:29 pm »

So is this now the Ameripotato thread?

I have had few dinners without chips. It is a staple of Scottish dinners.

Also mince n tatties, but I don’t like boiled or mashed, so I give that a miss. Stick with my chips.

Same here, chips wind up being part of most quick and easy meals I make because I'm not a fan of other quickish methods of making potatoes. Just one of those annoying things were tastier stuff takes a lot longer and I often can't be bothered spending an extra forty minutes waiting for food to cook.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Ispil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19192 on: April 01, 2018, 03:58:01 pm »

The real potato eaters are we, the Dutch. Dutch common dishes are all served with potatoes.
Can be boiled, baked, pureed, fried, but it's all potatoes here. Boiled potatoes with gravy is the most common form, after that, pureed.
Hell, one of van Gogh's most famous paintings is even called 'the potato eaters', depicting your average rural 19th century Dutch family at the dinner table.
If the Dutch are the real potato eaters, then I fear for the French.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."- Voltaire

I transcribe things, too.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #19193 on: April 01, 2018, 04:15:16 pm »

I feel like the only person in the world who doesn't really like potatos.  IMO, Soylent has more flavor, and feels more like real food hitting my stomach.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19194 on: April 01, 2018, 05:18:26 pm »

I had a problem with Soylent until I learned it was mostly made from the English (read "ayng-lish") and as a Scot I think there is one thing the Irish will always agree with us on: fook the aynglish!
Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
The VectorCurses+1 tileset strikes the square set and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19195 on: April 01, 2018, 05:55:18 pm »

I mean. You can do that to soylent, too, I guess. Some of us wouldn't judge. Sounds messy, though...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19196 on: April 01, 2018, 05:57:41 pm »

Better than what Scots are usually known for...
Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
The VectorCurses+1 tileset strikes the square set and the severed part sails off in an arc!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19197 on: April 01, 2018, 06:04:39 pm »

The Welsh sing, too.

Only folk from Aberdeen in Scotland do the sheep thing. Evidently all that oil money doesn’t weed out the perversions...

We are also tight-fisted and racist in the rest of the land, byraway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19198 on: April 01, 2018, 06:08:02 pm »

That's the Welsh, mate.

Scots just get pissed, wear kilts, and hate England. The Welsh fuck sheep and sit around in idyllic villages feeling depressed because the mines/factories have all closed.
Things are a lot more depressing now that you can't put your kids in a coal mine. No fun allowed I say

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19199 on: April 01, 2018, 06:10:49 pm »

That’s Thatcher for you. Taking away a parent’s responsibility to teach their child a dangerous trade.
Pages: 1 ... 1278 1279 [1280] 1281 1282 ... 2285