Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1243 1244 [1245] 1246 1247 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3534623 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #18660 on: April 01, 2018, 10:11:59 am »

Anyone can probably go outside and comb through a clover patch and find one within 20 minutes of good combin'.

There's a much easier way, just take a normal 3 leaf clover and rip one of the leaves in half, tada, four leaf clover.

Make your own luck in life.

Whee whoo whee whoo. Hear that? It's the Leprechaun police, you're goin' down punk. Ain't nobody making counterfeit luck.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18661 on: April 01, 2018, 10:16:25 am »

Haggis is definately Scottish.
It is now, but apparently the term itself originated in england :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18662 on: April 01, 2018, 10:17:35 am »

@imic: I don't think hector was even trying to talk about white supremacists.

Though yeah, we're kind of a special bunch. lol :)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18663 on: April 01, 2018, 11:28:57 am »

-snip-

From what I saw when I went over there you're all called Murphy, not Patrick. At least in the southwest.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18664 on: April 01, 2018, 11:44:42 am »

It's interesting, since it feels to me sometimes like half of the Scottish Romanticism that turned the Highlanders from Jacobin yokels into true Scots was as much a creation of London as it was Edinburgh: to wit, the obsession with all sorts of kitschy tartanry as fed by royal courts of the UK and beyond.  I look at it the same way as Irish potatoes, Italian tomatoes, or Swiss chocolate. ^_^
* Culise eats more chili-based kimchi
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 11:46:41 am by Culise »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #18665 on: April 01, 2018, 11:47:20 am »

Murphy is indeed the most common surname. It comes form the Old Irish bame O' Murchu. (Ch as in Loch)
I went into white supremacists because they're proud of their heritage, moreso than most.
They have a poem thing in Scotland about Haggis, the "chieftain of the Pudding race" thing.
Someone once translated it into German, and then translated it back again, and it came out as the "Mighty Führer of the sausage people".

Also, Four leafed clovers do exist, my mistake.

The potato thing isn't an exxageration though.
I could eat potatoes in any shape or form for literally any meal if required, and almost everyone I know could too. That isn't a romanticization, that's the truth, if slightly exxagerated.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18666 on: April 01, 2018, 11:57:23 am »

The potato thing isn't an exxageration though.
I could eat potatoes in any shape or form for literally any meal if required, and almost everyone I know could too. That isn't a romanticization, that's the truth, if slightly exxagerated.
Aye, but potatoes would have been unknown in Ireland before the Columbian exchange brought them from the New World.  If haggis started as Yonner "hagese" before moving north, it's nothing against it becoming a quintessential Scottish dish.  Call it an extension on the post Frumple wrote, which is this precise statement. ^_^

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18667 on: April 01, 2018, 11:58:28 am »

Also not so much an irish thing as an "anywhere people eat potatoes" thing, from what I've noticed. Potatoes are apparently fairly universally delicious to human palates.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18668 on: April 01, 2018, 12:04:51 pm »

Also not so much an irish thing as an "anywhere people eat potatoes" thing, from what I've noticed. Potatoes are apparently fairly universally delicious to human palates.
Also pretty much grow anywhere, those plucky Andean tubers.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #18669 on: April 01, 2018, 01:14:39 pm »

It's interesting, since it feels to me sometimes like half of the Scottish Romanticism that turned the Highlanders from Jacobin yokels into true Scots was as much a creation of London as it was Edinburgh: to wit, the obsession with all sorts of kitschy tartanry as fed by royal courts of the UK and beyond.  I look at it the same way as Irish potatoes, Italian tomatoes, or Swiss chocolate. ^_^
* Culise eats more chili-based kimchi

T’be fair, had the English not tried to stamp out rebellious sentiment by crushing the clan system and banning “highland wear” outside of the army, it probably wouldn’t have turned out that way.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18670 on: April 01, 2018, 01:18:24 pm »

I can safely say that I have consumed as much or more potato than your average irish bloke, regardless of how much potato said bloke has consumed. I am an American, and so I consume more french fries per capita than there are strands of grain in Europe.

Your move, Murphy!  :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18671 on: April 01, 2018, 01:22:10 pm »

The real potato eaters are we, the Dutch. Dutch common dishes are all served with potatoes.
Can be boiled, baked, pureed, fried, but it's all potatoes here. Boiled potatoes with gravy is the most common form, after that, pureed.
Hell, one of van Gogh's most famous paintings is even called 'the potato eaters', depicting your average rural 19th century Dutch family at the dinner table.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #18672 on: April 01, 2018, 01:38:29 pm »

I have had few dinners without chips. It is a staple of Scottish dinners.

Also mince n tatties, but I don’t like boiled or mashed, so I give that a miss. Stick with my chips.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18673 on: April 01, 2018, 03:36:29 pm »

So is this now the Ameripotato thread?

I have had few dinners without chips. It is a staple of Scottish dinners.

Also mince n tatties, but I don’t like boiled or mashed, so I give that a miss. Stick with my chips.

Same here, chips wind up being part of most quick and easy meals I make because I'm not a fan of other quickish methods of making potatoes. Just one of those annoying things were tastier stuff takes a lot longer and I often can't be bothered spending an extra forty minutes waiting for food to cook.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18674 on: April 01, 2018, 04:15:16 pm »

I feel like the only person in the world who doesn't really like potatos.  IMO, Soylent has more flavor, and feels more like real food hitting my stomach.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 1243 1244 [1245] 1246 1247 ... 3511