Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1244 1245 [1246] 1247 1248 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3533625 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #18675 on: April 01, 2018, 05:18:26 pm »

I had a problem with Soylent until I learned it was mostly made from the English (read "ayng-lish") and as a Scot I think there is one thing the Irish will always agree with us on: fook the aynglish!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18676 on: April 01, 2018, 05:55:18 pm »

I mean. You can do that to soylent, too, I guess. Some of us wouldn't judge. Sounds messy, though...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18677 on: April 01, 2018, 05:57:41 pm »

Better than what Scots are usually known for...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #18678 on: April 01, 2018, 06:04:39 pm »

The Welsh sing, too.

Only folk from Aberdeen in Scotland do the sheep thing. Evidently all that oil money doesn’t weed out the perversions...

We are also tight-fisted and racist in the rest of the land, byraway.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18679 on: April 01, 2018, 06:08:02 pm »

That's the Welsh, mate.

Scots just get pissed, wear kilts, and hate England. The Welsh fuck sheep and sit around in idyllic villages feeling depressed because the mines/factories have all closed.
Things are a lot more depressing now that you can't put your kids in a coal mine. No fun allowed I say

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #18680 on: April 01, 2018, 06:10:49 pm »

That’s Thatcher for you. Taking away a parent’s responsibility to teach their child a dangerous trade.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18681 on: April 01, 2018, 06:20:19 pm »

Also also also, American’s are weird with their patriotism  while simultaneously having the  ability to claim being from someplace else. What’s up with that.

They discarded actual nationalism for a pan-nationalism based on race.
Love, scriver~

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18682 on: April 01, 2018, 06:35:12 pm »

Also also also, American’s are weird with their patriotism  while simultaneously having the  ability to claim being from someplace else. What’s up with that.

Apparently they cant even come to a consensus on who is white. It would be hilarious to see what would happen if they all became aware of this.

As for non insane people their heritage just becomes a sort of background identity. They often have no direct connection culturally but a want for it manifests in various celebrations and such. you also get a weird patriotism for the places your ancestors came from sometimes. Mostly that is just a increased interest in the place and wanting to know more about it though.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18683 on: April 01, 2018, 07:14:18 pm »

Apparently they cant even come to a consensus on who is white. It would be hilarious to see what would happen if they all became aware of this.

As for non insane people their heritage just becomes a sort of background identity. They often have no direct connection culturally but a want for it manifests in various celebrations and such. you also get a weird patriotism for the places your ancestors came from sometimes. Mostly that is just a increased interest in the place and wanting to know more about it though.

I think this mostly depends on what generation of immigrant you come from. As you get more removed from the family that actually made the trek to the US, you start to lose that connection with the older culture even if you might recognize that's where you were from. I come from several different backgrounds, but I connect more with the ancestry that's only a couple of generations separated from the original immigrants compared to the ~200 years of another part of the family.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18684 on: April 01, 2018, 08:23:03 pm »

China responded to the tariffs with tariffs on 128 US products.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43614400
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18685 on: April 01, 2018, 08:31:09 pm »

I think this mostly depends on what generation of immigrant you come from. As you get more removed from the family that actually made the trek to the US, you start to lose that connection with the older culture even if you might recognize that's where you were from. I come from several different backgrounds, but I connect more with the ancestry that's only a couple of generations separated from the original immigrants compared to the ~200 years of another part of the family.
Likely, doesn't make the plastic pattys and less so however. I literally knew my Dutch grandparents and I'm still super American. Yet their are people with less connection then that in the city of Holland(Michigan) that have tulip festivals. It seems to me like its really person dependent. We like to pick and choose.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18686 on: April 01, 2018, 08:41:38 pm »

Haggis is definately Scottish.
It is now, but apparently the term itself originated in england :P
It's interesting, since it feels to me sometimes like half of the Scottish Romanticism that turned the Highlanders from Jacobin yokels into true Scots was as much a creation of London as it was Edinburgh: to wit, the obsession with all sorts of kitschy tartanry as fed by royal courts of the UK and beyond.  I look at it the same way as Irish potatoes, Italian tomatoes, or Swiss chocolate. ^_^
* Culise eats more chili-based kimchi

T’be fair, had the English not tried to stamp out rebellious sentiment by crushing the clan system and banning “highland wear” outside of the army, it probably wouldn’t have turned out that way.
Would that be the possibility that the lowlander Scots would have kept on repressing the highlanders on their own and wouldn't have entertained such romanticist notions?  I'm not sure I entirely agree with that, either.  Even if Scotland had maintained complete independence, I feel there would have been some revival of highlander culture around the Romantic era; it simply fits a bit too well with broader historical trends in Europe (outside of France, where it instead accompanied the rise of Francization).  The question wasn't if it would exist, but if it would exist in opposition to or in tandem with whatever sentiment arose in Edinburgh and Glasgow.  The mid-18th century Jacobite rising was probably the big push in that regard; contrary to most modern romanticism of the uprising, it did include some significant support in the Lowlands as well, which marks a tremendous difference in politics since the Scottish Civil War a mere century before which in their simplest sense boiled down to the powerful pro-Parliament Covenenters (Lowlanders and two of the largest Highlander clans) against other Highland clans and anyone opposed to the Presbyterian Church. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 08:45:33 pm by Culise »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18689 on: April 01, 2018, 09:48:47 pm »

The police claim that they left because the angry crowd was pounding and pushing on the cars, and the cops wanted to de-escalate the situation. If (and I stress IF) this is accurate, and IF they properly arranged for a medical unit to be dispatched, this is not an unreasonable explanation. Since the only video I've seen cuts off right after the impact, we have no way of verifying this claim.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 1244 1245 [1246] 1247 1248 ... 3511