Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1270 1271 [1272] 1273 1274 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3593516 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #19065 on: April 15, 2018, 01:20:58 am »

It's HIM!
The punctuation! It hurts!

Staple of art class
If you're stapling on the glitter, you're doing it wrong. (Something like Copydex/UHU, I'd suggest. Or Pritt-Stick.)

Not sure how much glitter I've used (as opposed to suffered, shedding from commercial Christmas cards). It was all about the pasta and dried legumes when I was at school, I'm sure.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19066 on: April 15, 2018, 01:31:50 am »

Don't forget the "Obnoxious horrible makeup phase" most teenage girls go through where they slather on body glitter, put it in their hair, and other atrocities against classy dress.

(And that sentence is properly punctuated, thank you very much.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19067 on: April 15, 2018, 01:48:03 am »

Of the article, I meant.

Two quick examples:

"....and black thigh, high spiked boots..." (Unless it's not trying to say what I think it'strying to say, that should be "thigh-high".)

"He often plays on weaknesses, such as; fear, and seems to have a goal of breaking up their group, mainly through making them hate or fight each other." (What is that ";" even doing there? Or at least doing there, as it could maybe work after "fear" instead of that comma. The full 'sentence' also exemplifies the rampant commaised-subclausing inherent in many fan-wiki writings, though I'm also not an innocent party to that practice.)

I won't critique the whole lot (or edit it into shape). I've said my piece and will now hold my peace.

PS. I don't recall body-glitter being a thing either, when I was young. Or younger but old enough to notice the girls' efforts. And, in addition to my last comment on sticking things to things, I am fairly sure chickpeas and fusilli were never popular body-art adornments.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 01:52:02 am by Starver »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19068 on: April 15, 2018, 02:20:05 am »

Of the article, I meant.

Two quick examples:

"....and black thigh, high spiked boots..." (Unless it's not trying to say what I think it'strying to say, that should be "thigh-high".)

"He often plays on weaknesses, such as; fear, and seems to have a goal of breaking up their group, mainly through making them hate or fight each other." (What is that ";" even doing there? Or at least doing there, as it could maybe work after "fear" instead of that comma. The full 'sentence' also exemplifies the rampant commaised-subclausing inherent in many fan-wiki writings, though I'm also not an innocent party to that practice.)

I won't critique the whole lot (or edit it into shape). I've said my piece and will now hold my peace.

The punctuation in the article is almost completely accurate. There's definitely not any "rampant commaised-subclausing" since your latter example is pretty much the only case of it. My guess is that the writer of the article hit the ';' key by accident, since the sentence sounds completely normal without it.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19069 on: April 15, 2018, 04:14:01 am »

Spoiler: Not important (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 04:18:56 am by Starver »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19070 on: April 15, 2018, 10:53:35 am »

There is still glitter in my house from 14 years ago, so I can confirm that it has a halflife like radioactive material.

Also HIM was like, the first legitimately evil villain I remember watching on TV. Most other villains aimed at kids that age are too cartoonishly evil or absurd, but HIM was actually legitimately manipulative and friggin' weird.

It's just as well nobodys reminded Trump about the PPG, seeing as he has a vendetta against childhood (Just ask Eric).
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #19071 on: April 15, 2018, 01:03:33 pm »

So yeah there's a war on, anyone hear about that or is this the glitter thread now?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19072 on: April 15, 2018, 01:31:27 pm »

<little girl pic>Why not both?</little girl pic>

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19073 on: April 15, 2018, 01:32:58 pm »

All I can say is, I don't envy the people who have to decide to intervene (or not) in these types of things.  If you know atrocities are being committed and do nothing, what are you? If you commit atrocities to stop atrocities, what are you?  Can you even impose your ideals on another culture group to tell them they are doing the wrong thing?  Can you even go physically impose yourself between groups fighting each other and just let them beat on you?

That latter is probably the most "favorable" approach, but even that is questionable - it's physically trespassing in an area and standing between groups trying to fight each other.  If those groups won't talk to each other, then only thing you can do is be a third party that puts a wall between them to prevent them fighting - but even that is "I'm putting you in jail for your own protection" kind of thinking which is not very palatable to many people.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19074 on: April 15, 2018, 02:24:47 pm »

I wouldn't call glitter bombing an atrocity, but I would most definitely stomp a mudhole in anyone who did it to me.
Spoiler: Not important (click to show/hide)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19075 on: April 15, 2018, 06:37:27 pm »

If we're just posting incomprehensible Wikipedia pages now, you can't hold a candle to 'Pataphysics. I remember that I got to the end of the page and only then did I figure out the definition of the term, despite the definition being more-or-less the only thing the entire article talks about.

So yeah there's a war on, anyone hear about that or is this the glitter thread now?
If we are to believe Trump's twitter feed, the real war going on is the one between him and Comey. The strikes are already all over, leaving everyone wondering what's next.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19076 on: April 15, 2018, 06:45:35 pm »

'rampant commaised subclausing' is not bad, it's just a sign of cultural linguistic difference. Don't hate the subclausers, that's racist.
I've found myself to become more of a rampant commaised subclause user after learning German, and ancient Greek.
Ancient Greek doesn't use the commas though, the subclausing there is hidden within the verbs' and nouns' inflections.

German literature though. I think I have read sentences in German that went on longer than a full page.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19077 on: April 15, 2018, 09:39:48 pm »

At least those are just poor explanations of things. Reach any page on a sufficiently niche mathematical theory and the stuff reads as complete gibberish. Sure, give me a textbook and a year and I might be able to tell you all the fun stuff regarding Clifford algebras, but that Wikipedia page might as well be talking about 18th century British architectural design.
Reminds me of when I read Bourdieu that one time.
https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=Hbw2AAAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PT7&dq=practice+theory+anthropology+bourdieu&ots=uUcONrb2A4&sig=-lqtnpKQBnmvr8cBO4tOaFFwATQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19078 on: April 15, 2018, 10:17:58 pm »

I'm reminded of Wittgenstein.
Quote from: Matt Russel, Dead Philosophers in Heaven
I was going to do my honours dissertation on Wittgenstein. I spent pretty much all of last year reading from the Tractatus to On Certainty. It almost killed me. Reading Wittgenstein is like siege warfare – it requires total commitment combined with the expectation of intense suffering. You have to be OK with reading 80 pages of impenetrably fragmented argument without knowing if you are completely wasting your time or not. I think, best case, I probably understand about 1/10th of what he was on about, and yet I’m pretty sure he was right about absolutely everything.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19079 on: April 16, 2018, 01:31:32 am »

At least those are just poor explanations of things. Reach any page on a sufficiently niche mathematical theory and the stuff reads as complete gibberish. Sure, give me a textbook and a year and I might be able to tell you all the fun stuff regarding Clifford algebras, but that Wikipedia page might as well be talking about 18th century British architectural design.
The only one I hadn't been to yet was the Etale stuff, as it's a bit too far out from the mathematics used in relativistic/standard model/attempted expansions beyond the standard model stuff, though the surreal number one was only on a weird delve into infinities and I thought for sure the page had to be a glitch in my headmeats as they leak out of my ears or something.

My favorite thing from the abjection snapshot above is how it goes into the, social and political ramifications, of the cultural and physical development of foot, through the lens of, the western cultural and social constraints put on feet, such as shoe.

Yes that was painful to write and I still can't get it as fucked up as the article was.
Pages: 1 ... 1270 1271 [1272] 1273 1274 ... 3515