Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1272 1273 [1274] 1275 1276 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3533343 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #19095 on: April 16, 2018, 04:15:34 pm »

It's funny because he's done more to erode the power of the presidency than literally centuries of presidents have.

Did he? The prestige, sure, but the power? All I can see is that he blasted unwritten norms that constrained presidents (like releasing your tax returns).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19096 on: April 16, 2018, 04:26:29 pm »

It's funny because he's done more to erode the power of the presidency than literally centuries of presidents have.

Did he? The prestige, sure, but the power? All I can see is that he blasted unwritten norms that constrained presidents (like releasing your tax returns).

They are not as separate as you might think; much of the practical power of the Presidency, insofar as policy is concerned, depends on the ability of the President to persuade Congress to pass suitable legislation and the state and local governments to support its enforcement.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19097 on: April 16, 2018, 06:39:25 pm »

A lot of the power of the Presidency is also in things which are not legally defined as such, but are accepted as precedential (hehehe). If Trump tries to go to war after losing Congress, for example, he may end up pulling the rug out from underneath the President's power to make war for actual decades or more. (Which may, according to your POV, be a good thing...) He's also led to a huge reduction in federal power in blue states, as the antagonistic relationship between the federal government and blue state extends to ever more fields (immigration is the obvious one, but also taxation has become a huge one, the EPA, probably the census, etc.)

EDIT: Also, have we mentioned the whole Sean Hannity thing? Basically, Cohen's lawyer's sued to get an injunction against the government viewing his files because of attorney-client privilege. The Judge asked to know who those clients were, and since Cohen was not there and Cohen's lawyer had not spoken to him, the lawyer didn't know. So the judge ordered a new hearing for Monday; today, and today we learned that his three clients are Donald Trump, some Republican fundraiser who admitted to having paid money to a Playboy Bunny whom he got pregnant, and a mystery client. That mystery client has been unmasked (after significant delaying) as Sean Hannity. Hannity issued a statement on his show and on Twitter denying this.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 06:50:46 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19098 on: April 16, 2018, 06:43:30 pm »

There are lots of unenumerated areas where a president has an ABSURD amount of unchecked power. Doing shit which gets those powers limited or allowing them to get passed on to another body is one of those things that presidents avoid doing, preserving the office for the next guy and so forth.

Trump is that worst kind of boomer who acts like the world exists only for them and there is no reason to even pretend it should be preserved for future generations, plus he's literally a big fat 70-something toddler with no sense of... well... sense.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19099 on: April 16, 2018, 09:04:29 pm »

I seriously came back over here because I just saw that (been working on a backsaw handle off and on, had to take a break) and when I read it I literally shouted WHAT at the screen, how the fuck?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #19100 on: April 16, 2018, 09:05:52 pm »

Not some Republican fundraiser, deputy finance chairman Elliot Broidy.

Whatever a deputy finance chairman does. Other than knocking up playboy models and trying to pay to keep it quiet, anyway...

It must be a bit shit for Cohen. All those years at college and law school just to become the middleman for keeping extra-marital affairs quiet.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19101 on: April 16, 2018, 09:45:08 pm »

I have to ask myself - if someone vandalized one of these math theory articles, would anybody even notice? Is the pool of informed math theorists on wikipedia even big enough to guard against signal corruption?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19102 on: April 16, 2018, 09:50:31 pm »

There IS a math thread. Though admittedly it's a math help thread, not a general topic on the discussion of mathematics.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19103 on: April 16, 2018, 10:05:48 pm »

Well, I think we're all processing the idea that a judge who briefly trained to be a playboy bunny, was installed by Reagan, and part of nannygate with Clinton ended up overseeing the Cohen raid and that lead to the reveal of Sean Hannity as his third previously undisclosed client.

The same Hannity who denied any sort of relationship with Cohen and then tried to call mulligan because he didn't realize denying attorney-client relationship means you don't get attorney-client privilege which is ha-ha-fuck-that-guy-hilarious type of shit.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19104 on: April 16, 2018, 10:08:41 pm »

Well, I think we're all processing the idea that a judge who briefly trained to be a playboy bunny, was installed by Reagan, and part of nannygate with Clinton ended up overseeing the Cohen raid and that lead to the reveal of Sean Hannity as his third previously undisclosed client.

The same Hannity who denied any sort of relationship with Cohen and then tried to call mulligan because he didn't realize denying attorney-client relationship means you don't get attorney-client privilege which is ha-ha-fuck-that-guy-hilarious type of shit.
Wait, what? Did I miss something?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19106 on: April 16, 2018, 11:05:13 pm »

I don't know if it has been mentioned anywhere, but there was also a small kerfuffle about Conway claiming, apparently earnestly, that Comey swung the election for Trump. She has since claimed she was being sarcastic, all video evidence to the contrary.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19107 on: April 16, 2018, 11:13:43 pm »

I'm not quite up to date on the latest, but Hannity has had a series of "I didn't inhale"-esque explanations for this (something like "I'm not his client, except I am, except it, was just advice, but still subject to attorney-client privilege, " etc...) Given what work Cohen did for his other two clients, one can only wonder what is going through the mind of Mrs. Hannity at the moment...

In any case, it seriously calls into question all of the last weeks or so, where Hannity went to the air attacking the raid on Cohen like a bloody madman, saying that Mueller had “declared war against the president of the United States" with this. It's unethical as all hell, and just as importantly it looks very bad indeed... the scandal has entered a new and interesting phase.
Spoiler: Sean Hannity IRL (click to show/hide)

Meanwhile, the internet exploded with all this: conspiracy theories are the order of the day. Top theories include that Cohen was the go-between of Trump and Hannity, relying on the power of Attorney-Client Privilege to protect them; which might have worked, if they hadn't gone and made such a big deal of trying to not disclose who his third client was. Supposedly they used every trick in the book, claiming that it was embarrassing (no shit...), at one point just asking if they could just give it to the judge without unsealing the envelope, etc. Judge wasn't having it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19108 on: April 16, 2018, 11:47:43 pm »

In any case, it seriously calls into question all of the last weeks or so, where Hannity went to the air attacking the raid on Cohen like a bloody madman, saying that Mueller had “declared war against the president of the United States" with this. It's unethical as all hell, and just as importantly it looks very bad indeed... the scandal has entered a new and interesting phase.

We should also not forget what brought this on: Trump's lawyers wanting to review what was seized in the Cohen raid prior to the FBI doing so, meaning they don't know what he has either. That's not necessarily weird, but bear in mind Cohen was also known to tape conversations without the knowledge of the other party (which is legal in New York, just to be clear) and it's not like they can get a clear account out of Trump of what he said to his fixer.

Now Trump is off to Mar-a-Lago, where he has previously made some of his most inflammatory statements, with this on his mind -- and with Comey, who he has long been convinced was trying to blackmail him with the Steele dossier and associated evidence, running around on his book tour talking about that very thing, as well as his tan and hair and hands and things.

All while Hannity is presently dealing with the fallout from his lies about Cohen and won't be as able to run interference for him.

The odds of Trump saying or doing something angry and foolish are quite high, right now.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19109 on: April 16, 2018, 11:49:48 pm »

I'd be willing to bet, as is so often the case with people of a certain class, that Mrs. Hannity is fully aware of her husband's activities. Maybe not in detail, but at least in broad strokes and likely enough to know they required a lawyer at some point. Keeping plausible deniability, however, still puts her in a decent position to bail on him should things start crashing down.
Pages: 1 ... 1272 1273 [1274] 1275 1276 ... 3511