Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1321 1322 [1323] 1324 1325 ... 1339

Author Topic: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle  (Read 477101 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #19830 on: April 16, 2018, 02:21:36 pm »

He's no criminal, that's not what I said. However, the odds of Trump going full Erdogan and declaring everyone who is against him a terrorist are small, but not zero.

Didn't think you were saying that. I was saying it'd be a big leap for Trump to make.

"A giant leap for mankind, a small step for tiny hands"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19831 on: April 16, 2018, 04:05:43 pm »

It's funny because he's done more to erode the power of the presidency than literally centuries of presidents have.
Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
The VectorCurses+1 tileset strikes the square set and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19832 on: April 16, 2018, 04:15:34 pm »

It's funny because he's done more to erode the power of the presidency than literally centuries of presidents have.

Did he? The prestige, sure, but the power? All I can see is that he blasted unwritten norms that constrained presidents (like releasing your tax returns).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19833 on: April 16, 2018, 04:26:29 pm »

Did he? The prestige, sure, but the power? All I can see is that he blasted unwritten norms that constrained presidents (like releasing your tax returns).

They are not as separate as you might think; much of the practical power of the Presidency, insofar as policy is concerned, depends on the ability of the President to persuade Congress to pass suitable legislation and the state and local governments to support its enforcement.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19834 on: April 16, 2018, 06:39:25 pm »

A lot of the power of the Presidency is also in things which are not legally defined as such, but are accepted as precedential (hehehe). If Trump tries to go to war after losing Congress, for example, he may end up pulling the rug out from underneath the President's power to make war for actual decades or more. (Which may, according to your POV, be a good thing...) He's also led to a huge reduction in federal power in blue states, as the antagonistic relationship between the federal government and blue state extends to ever more fields (immigration is the obvious one, but also taxation has become a huge one, the EPA, probably the census, etc.)

EDIT: Also, have we mentioned the whole Sean Hannity thing? Basically, Cohen's lawyer's sued to get an injunction against the government viewing his files because of attorney-client privilege. The Judge asked to know who those clients were, and since Cohen was not there and Cohen's lawyer had not spoken to him, the lawyer didn't know. So the judge ordered a new hearing for Monday; today, and today we learned that his three clients are Donald Trump, some Republican fundraiser who admitted to having paid money to a Playboy Bunny whom he got pregnant, and a mystery client. That mystery client has been unmasked (after significant delaying) as Sean Hannity. Hannity issued a statement on his show and on Twitter denying this.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 06:50:46 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19835 on: April 16, 2018, 06:43:30 pm »

There are lots of unenumerated areas where a president has an ABSURD amount of unchecked power. Doing shit which gets those powers limited or allowing them to get passed on to another body is one of those things that presidents avoid doing, preserving the office for the next guy and so forth.

Trump is that worst kind of boomer who acts like the world exists only for them and there is no reason to even pretend it should be preserved for future generations, plus he's literally a big fat 70-something toddler with no sense of... well... sense.
Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
The VectorCurses+1 tileset strikes the square set and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19836 on: April 16, 2018, 09:04:29 pm »

I seriously came back over here because I just saw that (been working on a backsaw handle off and on, had to take a break) and when I read it I literally shouted WHAT at the screen, how the fuck?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #19837 on: April 16, 2018, 09:05:52 pm »

Not some Republican fundraiser, deputy finance chairman Elliot Broidy.

Whatever a deputy finance chairman does. Other than knocking up playboy models and trying to pay to keep it quiet, anyway...

It must be a bit shit for Cohen. All those years at college and law school just to become the middleman for keeping extra-marital affairs quiet.
Quote from: Kagus
Quote from: Felissan
Of all the threads that could turn into Chuck Tingle, this is probably the one I expected the least.
Double-Teamed in the Poop Chute By My Crippling Depression and Ennui, a new eroticella novella by Chuck Tingle.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

Ispil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19838 on: April 16, 2018, 09:40:39 pm »

At least those are just poor explanations of things. Reach any page on a sufficiently niche mathematical theory and the stuff reads as complete gibberish. Sure, give me a textbook and a year and I might be able to tell you all the fun stuff regarding Clifford algebras, but that Wikipedia page might as well be talking about 18th century British architectural design.
The only one I hadn't been to yet was the Etale stuff, as it's a bit too far out from the mathematics used in relativistic/standard model/attempted expansions beyond the standard model stuff, though the surreal number one was only on a weird delve into infinities and I thought for sure the page had to be a glitch in my headmeats as they leak out of my ears or something.

My favorite thing from the abjection snapshot above is how it goes into the, social and political ramifications, of the cultural and physical development of foot, through the lens of, the western cultural and social constraints put on feet, such as shoe.

Yes that was painful to write and I still can't get it as fucked up as the article was.

Found something worse than everything else I listed.

EDIT: Literally everything cohomology-related is utterly impenetrable, dear god.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:45:29 pm by Ispil »
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."- Voltaire

I transcribe things, too.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19839 on: April 16, 2018, 09:45:08 pm »

I have to ask myself - if someone vandalized one of these math theory articles, would anybody even notice? Is the pool of informed math theorists on wikipedia even big enough to guard against signal corruption?

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19840 on: April 16, 2018, 09:50:31 pm »

There IS a math thread. Though admittedly it's a math help thread, not a general topic on the discussion of mathematics.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19841 on: April 16, 2018, 10:05:48 pm »

Well, I think we're all processing the idea that a judge who briefly trained to be a playboy bunny, was installed by Reagan, and part of nannygate with Clinton ended up overseeing the Cohen raid and that lead to the reveal of Sean Hannity as his third previously undisclosed client.

The same Hannity who denied any sort of relationship with Cohen and then tried to call mulligan because he didn't realize denying attorney-client relationship means you don't get attorney-client privilege which is ha-ha-fuck-that-guy-hilarious type of shit.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
  • [Social_Democrat_Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19842 on: April 16, 2018, 10:08:41 pm »

Well, I think we're all processing the idea that a judge who briefly trained to be a playboy bunny, was installed by Reagan, and part of nannygate with Clinton ended up overseeing the Cohen raid and that lead to the reveal of Sean Hannity as his third previously undisclosed client.

The same Hannity who denied any sort of relationship with Cohen and then tried to call mulligan because he didn't realize denying attorney-client relationship means you don't get attorney-client privilege which is ha-ha-fuck-that-guy-hilarious type of shit.
Wait, what? Did I miss something?
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."

"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate to suffering"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19844 on: April 16, 2018, 11:05:13 pm »

I don't know if it has been mentioned anywhere, but there was also a small kerfuffle about Conway claiming, apparently earnestly, that Comey swung the election for Trump. She has since claimed she was being sarcastic, all video evidence to the contrary.
Pages: 1 ... 1321 1322 [1323] 1324 1325 ... 1339