Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1299 1300 [1301] 1302 1303 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3596095 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending
« Reply #19500 on: May 01, 2018, 02:05:15 pm »

By encouraging investment in weaponized mathematicians?

Read a few neat sci-fi plots like that, my body is ready.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19501 on: May 01, 2018, 02:17:17 pm »

By encouraging investment in weaponized mathematicians?

Read a few neat sci-fi plots like that, my body is ready.

I'm sorry but all I can visualize is some huge Conan-mofo swinging about a small bespectacled man like a mallet.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19502 on: May 01, 2018, 02:21:22 pm »

Fool. The ninja-sliderule master will derive your perfect square root before you can even touch your calculator, then promptly slit your throat.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19503 on: May 01, 2018, 03:06:40 pm »

Patrick Star had this figured out ages ago. Have we learned nothing?

Spoiler: Nuclear Solution (click to show/hide)
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19505 on: May 01, 2018, 03:39:57 pm »

Roy Moore files defamation case against his accusers.

So, the only real question is: did the things they are claiming actually happen? I don't recall any hard proof being actually demanded or provided.

I hope that they have something to defend with, because despite being a super-cynic against both parties I am in fact glad that Alabama has a real Democratic Senator for a change, and if Roy Moore is able to win this it will create a stigma against Democrats in the Alabama that won't be forgotten for 50 years. Not to mention the stigma against rape accusations. That sort of thing is just coming to the public consciousness as a real issue in need of address.

On the other hand, if Moore is the kind of creep that he is alleged to be, I hope his idiot pride blows up in his face and they nail him to the wall. He's a ridiculous asshole anyway.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending uhh h
« Reply #19506 on: May 01, 2018, 04:39:18 pm »

Democrats in the Alabama

I feel like this is something people would actually say, like "the Google" or "the Microsoft".

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending uhh h
« Reply #19507 on: May 01, 2018, 05:12:53 pm »

Democrats in the Alabama

I feel like this is something people would actually say, like "the Google" or "the Microsoft".

I mistyped it, then decided I liked it. :3

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19508 on: May 01, 2018, 05:51:29 pm »

They'd say "the 'bama" probably.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19509 on: May 01, 2018, 06:14:12 pm »

Thanks, the 'bama.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19510 on: May 01, 2018, 07:38:59 pm »

We actually refer to ourselves as the Alexander Shunnarah state

Spoiler: Call me Alabama! (click to show/hide)

His billboards are pretty much everywhere here. Well, at least in the Birmingham area. No idea about Montgomery or Mobile, but I imagine they're swamped with him too.

Also, hopefully this doesn't get posted twice because the first time I tried my internet went out. Thanks 'bama.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19511 on: May 01, 2018, 07:40:20 pm »

Huh. That guy has an extremely punchable face.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19512 on: May 01, 2018, 07:40:23 pm »

No representation that he's a provider of higher quality legal services.

Certainly not.

But the implication...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19513 on: May 01, 2018, 07:41:17 pm »

He may or not be better than other lawyers.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19514 on: May 01, 2018, 07:42:38 pm »

Hey, but the satellites could at least theoretically destroy antisatellite missiles trying to shoot them down.  Except the same problem applies and you can fire a lot of antisatellite missiles for the cost of one laser satellite.

Actually, to ballpark the number, you could probably launch maybe two antisatellite missiles per laserstar. Orbital launch is the hard part.

This is not how going to orbit works. LEO is moving 7.8 km/s sideways plus about 1.8 km/s atmospheric drag and fiddling about. That is to launch a few tons of nuclear reactor radiators and lasing medium and sensors and CnC nonsense. An anti-satellite missile does not need to go at 7.8 km/s. It just needs to go up to the top of the atmosphere, more or less, and then coast vertically until the target screams along at 7.8 km/s and smacks into it from the side. Maybe a one pound bomb puts a cherry on that cake. That is why the American anti-satellite missile is just 18 feet long and launched from an F-15.

Or use the 1963 American system; a ground-launched Nike Zeus and the basis of the 60's era ABM system.

"How do you hit it if it dodges."

They don't dodge, they functionally cannot dodge. It would require either a rocket engine in the final stage that costs substantial reductions in warhead or increases in booster or some form of aerodynamic control. The missile interception takes place out of the atmosphere, so there is no use of aerodynamics. The only remaining method is a rocket burn which will both throw the warhead off target and be immediately detected by the ground tracking. The warhead dodges in one direction, the antimissile corrects the same as any missile corrects for an aircraft making an evasive maneuver, and the result is just a warhead off target unless it un-dodges or has routed itself to a new target. There is limited maneuverability beyond apogee.

"But you're hitting a dinner plate with an arrow in space"

No, you are hitting a dinner plate with a thermonuclear bomb, in space. And if you design that bomb correctly, you can readily turn your blast radius into a blast cone, throwing the cube law out the window for the destructive effects of x-rays and pushing you comfortably toward the square law.

An anti-missile with a nuclear warhead is a directed energy weapon of a power impossible to attain with a laser and immune from anti-satellite weapons and for far, far less launch weight and cost. You simply throw your x-ray emitter out of the atmosphere and in range of the target, then bang.

I am actually suspicious the current crop of American ABM/ASAT systems are kinetic-kill in as much as the Bismark was a Versailles-treaty compliant armored cruiser; the Germans had the illegal-to-mount battleship rated guns in a warehouse next to her moorings with the cranes all lined up to install them. Likewise we have to deal with SALT.
Pages: 1 ... 1299 1300 [1301] 1302 1303 ... 3515