Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1388 1389 [1390] 1391 1392 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3533026 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #20835 on: June 13, 2018, 04:54:24 pm »

Jon Stewart has never been very funny. But without him, we get Trevor Noah, who is just...the worst.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20836 on: June 13, 2018, 04:57:37 pm »

I liked Noah, I mean, I'm biased, he's not an old white guy because fuck them they're dangerous, but he was fun.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20837 on: June 13, 2018, 05:04:47 pm »

Jon Stewart has never been very funny. But without him, we get Trevor Noah, who is just...the worst.
Colour me curious. I need some funny American pseudo-news shows to distract me from the local realities.
Which late show hosts are very funny then? I get that in your opinion they're all funnier than Noah, but which are funnier than Stewart?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20838 on: June 13, 2018, 05:08:01 pm »

Which late show hosts are very funny then?

Well, none.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20839 on: June 13, 2018, 05:11:07 pm »

Well, none.
That only tells me you either don't have a sense of humour, or are offended by the audacity of their jokes.

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20840 on: June 13, 2018, 05:13:58 pm »

With Trump, I think it's because he's been made fun of for 40 years.  There's just very little that hasn't been said, and what we got left is pretty stale.  The problem with the comedy of Trump running a future Dystopia is that Back to the Future Part II and a fair number of other movies have already made the joke.  But specifically, Jon Stewart has been like that since at least the rally to restore sanity, where his comedy act became less an act and more a lecture (Which come to think of it, happens to a lot of older, famous comics.)  So yeah, that's sort of a thing where if you hadn't seen the daily show in it's final years you might be expecting something... funny.  (And I really hate Trump)

As for in general, comedy needs conflict. So it's likely that yeah, if you got beef with the powers that be, you're going to express it, that's mostly the history of comedy and satire.  It's not like Duck Soup presented a plan for world peace (Well, maybe it involved something untoward with Mrs. DuMont), but hey it still holds up.

Edit: several replies while I composed this.  I will say Jon Stewart was actually funny at one point.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20841 on: June 13, 2018, 05:14:36 pm »

Colbert is/was pretty funny and I usually enjoy John Oliver (if you're actually looking for something).

EDIT: Also, good answers peeps, thanks for talkin.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20842 on: June 13, 2018, 05:50:25 pm »

Well, none.
That only tells me you either don't have a sense of humour, or are offended by the audacity of their jokes.

look at the stupid thing republacans/democrats are doing now

*laugh track*
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #20843 on: June 13, 2018, 05:51:25 pm »

I second John Oliver. And Colbert back on the Colbert Report; I honestly haven't watched him since he changed networks.
I'm also a fan of Jordan Klepper's recent work on The Opposition.
Paul Tompkins was very amusing on 'No, You Shut Up', but sadly that ended a couple years ago.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20844 on: June 13, 2018, 06:27:18 pm »

Can I third Oliver?

And of course it’s “look at the party in power and their shitty hijinks” because that’s an accurate portrayal of America as a whole especially when it comes to pseudo news

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20845 on: June 13, 2018, 07:03:55 pm »

It's difficult to work in a field involving political parody when even making the joke about how politics is parody feels passe at this point.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #20846 on: June 13, 2018, 08:02:57 pm »

Satire died when Trump actually put an global warming denialist in charge of the EPA. But, why blame satirists for their field being rendered obsolete? And is it really worth considering at all, instead of the actual things the conservatives are doing?

That last statement is my general response to a lot of criticism of the left. From SJWs to fractionalism to offending moderates to insufficiently offending moderates, these are all not really important issues compared to influence peddling, regulatory capture, profiteering and nepotism, racism and open support of domestic terrorists.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20847 on: June 13, 2018, 08:34:02 pm »

I mean, I guess denialist isn't as stupid sounding as denier, so good on ya there, though I'm pretty far left so it's hard to call that a pure left/right issue, but the biggest criticism of the left is that it's really the center at best.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20848 on: June 13, 2018, 08:53:42 pm »

That last statement is my general response to a lot of criticism of the left. From SJWs to fractionalism to offending moderates to insufficiently offending moderates, these are all not really important issues compared to influence peddling, regulatory capture, profiteering and nepotism, racism and open support of domestic terrorists.

On their own they're not important issues. However, anything that prevents the Democrats from being considered a viable alternative does in fact empower all the latter vices you mentioned.

Pushing the Democrat further to the left in fact shifts the "line" to the left, which in fact allows the other side to push further right without losing as much support as they would otherwise.

Sure you can say fuck moderates and that SJW aren't a real issue, however they're a perceived issue by moderates and it's the moderate voters you need to win to win elections. That's how it works.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:01:40 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20849 on: June 13, 2018, 09:01:24 pm »

That's fallacious. Nobody ever says the Republicans need to play a useless passionless centrist Because That's How You Win The Votes. They run people one step short of nuclear war and do fine.

Centrists are not more electable than other people. The left is flippantly dismissed in spite of strong victories without the support of the goddamned Party, sometimes in districts so red the Democrats just let them go.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1388 1389 [1390] 1391 1392 ... 3511