Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1400 1401 [1402] 1403 1404 ... 3512

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3577298 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #21015 on: June 20, 2018, 09:02:10 pm »

What if I told you I shrunk his hands down by like 300% and you probably didn't notice?
You mean they're 2x the original size and now inverted? ;)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21016 on: June 20, 2018, 09:09:54 pm »

The Chuckle Monster signed his executive order, so you can all argue about that instead.

Beeb Link
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21017 on: June 20, 2018, 09:52:40 pm »

I believe it has been confirmed to be exactly what I brought up earlier, so... The issue will "go away" without legislation for a year before the courts tell him that, no, he cannot do that.

I'd give a month or two at most because of the whole 20 day limit and it's going to be right back at square one.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #21018 on: June 20, 2018, 10:15:18 pm »

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21019 on: June 20, 2018, 10:23:20 pm »

It is worth noting that while the president cannot undo legislation, he CAN instruct his subordinates in the EXECUTIVE not to enforce that legislation, or to only partially enforce the legislation.

Since the executive is who is tasked with rounding people up and putting them in pens, that ball really is in his court.  Whether or not the judicial and legislative branches take offense to that or not is another matter.  If they make a public stink about it, he can punt the toxic football of babies-in-prison-for-years right in their faces, and openly proclaim the congress and judicial are at fault for forcing him to comply, and he would at least be partially correct.

I am not trying to defend an indefensible idiot. Only pointing out that an order not to enforce is indeed one of his powers as president.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21020 on: June 20, 2018, 10:40:29 pm »

A legislative solution would still be a hell of a lot better, not to mention more permanent. And the legislative branch CAN come up with a solution, they just can't come to a bipartisan decision that doesn't get murderized with accusations of amnesty. At this point, I swear that they'd need a supermajority (60+ in the Senate, not sure offhand for House) of one party (Republican OR Democrat) in both chambers of Congress and that parties President in power for any immigration reform to get through.

The internal squabbling in either party over specifics would probably get magnified in either case (not sure where the splits in the Democrats are over immigration, but they're definetly going to be there), so, who knows.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21021 on: June 20, 2018, 10:59:40 pm »

I did say that internal squabbling (the 'not agreeing amongst themselves') would effctively bring it back to square one, though not explictly.

The Democrats seem to have an easier time agreeing on immigration policy, but that may be because the opposition to the Republicans is overriding any disagreements or they really are more unified. That said, I'm not sure where the fault lines are for Democrats over immigration

They could go for something bipartisan, but it keeps getting shot down with accusations of amnesty. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Can't the conservatives give bipartianship a chance? (rhetorical question, since I know what the answer will be. :P It'll be no. :P)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21022 on: June 20, 2018, 11:11:15 pm »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21023 on: June 20, 2018, 11:23:45 pm »

I especially liked the one where they crossed out "the people" three times, and wrote "The state" instead.

Spoiler: The poster (click to show/hide)

Especially after just a decade before, they were proudly proclaiming how a free press is a freedom that is to be protected via security they provide-- which is a service for--- THE PEOPLE.

Spoiler: Other poster (click to show/hide)

In short, the state, and its secrets-- exist for the benefit of the people. However, they clearly abandoned that sometime in the 60s, and the organization became an apparatus for its own interests-- the state, for the state, and of the state.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 11:37:25 pm by wierd »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21024 on: June 20, 2018, 11:41:59 pm »

The lock and key related ones are all really clever, but "Security and You: A Safe Combination!" is my favorite. Some of them were kind of cringeworthy though, and why so many Christmas-related ones?

I especially liked the one where they crossed out "the people" three times, and wrote "The state" instead.

Especially after just a decade before, they were proudly proclaiming how a free press is a freedom that is to be protected via security they provide-- which is a service for--- THE PEOPLE.

In short, the state, and its secrets-- exist for the benefit of the people. However, they clearly abandoned that sometime in the 60s, and the organization became an apparatus for its own interests-- those of the state, for the state, and of the state.

The point of that one is to put you in mind of the Communist way of doing things, and what a Communist USA would mean to you. It's funny but sad that that's the takeaway from it now.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21025 on: June 20, 2018, 11:49:35 pm »

Christmas was a bigger thing back then.

-- Yeah, I can sorta see it that way (red menace scare)-- but against the current culture of the NSA, they are totally the people holding that red pen. Not some scary Soviet, or Manchurian agent.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21026 on: June 21, 2018, 04:05:27 am »

Spoiler: Other poster (click to show/hide)
Is that newspaper featuring an interview with Plank's grandfather?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21027 on: June 21, 2018, 05:40:41 am »

Is that newspaper featuring an interview with Planck's grandfather?
I can't tell, it's just too small to be sure...

(Don't blame me. I've been infected by the puns. And I assume that most of you across that side of the pond will recognise the
Laugh-In person, at least from re-runs, but I was actually found it verrrrrry interesting that *I* got the reference.)

Oh, and, Happy Summer!  Summer has started, and the nights are drawing in! (Unless - for you, dear reader - it's just turned winter and the days are now getting longer.)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:44:13 am by Starver »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21028 on: June 21, 2018, 06:37:48 am »

Is that newspaper featuring an interview with Planck's grandfather?
I can't tell, it's just too small to be sure...

(Don't blame me. I've been infected by the puns. And I assume that most of you across that side of the pond will recognise the
Laugh-In person, at least from re-runs, but I was actually found it verrrrrry interesting that *I* got the reference.)

Oh, and, Happy Summer!  Summer has started, and the nights are drawing in! (Unless - for you, dear reader - it's just turned winter and the days are now getting longer.)

Only a Brit would be happy it’s Summer.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #21029 on: June 21, 2018, 07:10:39 am »

Only a Brit would be happy it’s Summer.

Summer is the only time of the year where we get to complain that it is too hot, complain that it is too cold, complain that it is too rainy, and complain that it is too sunny. Of course we're happy during it :)
Pages: 1 ... 1400 1401 [1402] 1403 1404 ... 3512