Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1425 1426 [1427] 1428 1429 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3592941 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #21390 on: July 01, 2018, 08:55:55 pm »

If a person is born with an instinctive drive to blindly follow something greater than themself, religion offers a very convenient way to fill that hole and live a life of blissful ignorance. They never need to worry about moral certainty, or individual purpose; they just have all the answers handed to them, along with a dogmatic imperative not to question those answers when they don't make sense.
If a person is born without that instinctive drive, they are more likely to struggle to find meaning and satisfaction in their life. Being thrust out into a big wide open world with no clear instructions or goals is chaotic and confusing.

Of course, like most human attributes, this instinct is more of a spectrum rather than a on/off switch. And individual circumstances will vary. Still, it makes sense to me that god-nerds would be happier on average.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21391 on: July 01, 2018, 09:05:14 pm »

If a person is born with an instinctive drive to blindly follow something greater than themself, religion offers a very convenient way to fill that hole and live a life of blissful ignorance. They never need to worry about moral certainty, or individual purpose; they just have all the answers handed to them, along with a dogmatic imperative not to question those answers when they don't make sense.
If a person is born without that instinctive drive, they are more likely to struggle to find meaning and satisfaction in their life. Being thrust out into a big wide open world with no clear instructions or goals is chaotic and confusing.

Of course, like most human attributes, this instinct is more of a spectrum rather than a on/off switch. And individual circumstances will vary. Still, it makes sense to me that god-nerds would be happier on average.
It is perfectly possible to be both religious and not a blind follower but instead make a conscious, considered, and deliberate choice of belief for your own reasons. And the inverse applies to the non believer as well. So your assertion of spectrum would appear appropriate to me. It is also common for the non believer to still be a member of the community of believers. To hold on to the spirit if not the letter of the hope and place that belief and community bring. As a species we are and always have been both spiritual and community based. Fulfilling those ancient needs unsurprisingly leads to that happiness that people so long for.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21392 on: July 01, 2018, 09:27:08 pm »

Non-religious churches, how does that work? Religion without the dogma would just be philosophy wouldn't it?

I suppose offramp this tangent to the religion thread, dunno.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21393 on: July 01, 2018, 09:41:51 pm »

Non-religious churches, how does that work? Religion without the dogma would just be philosophy wouldn't it?

I suppose offramp this tangent to the religion thread, dunno.
Probably a good idea, here's the link.
And to sneak in a last word, I've known a lot of people that believe in the nice parts of popular religions without subscribing to the... strictures, heh.
Unitarians in general seem to be congregations of such people, from what I heard from friends.  No hard dogma, a bunch of people finding common ground in their personal spiritualities.  I'd probably be fine in such a "church" - I know many atheists (self-described agnostics) who were.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21394 on: July 02, 2018, 01:15:57 am »

I used to be more tolerant of religion, thinking that it was mostly harmless or sometimes a good thing, but the more I become personally acquainted with it the less that feels possible. Most of the reasonable believers I've met only really stayed "reasonable" by remaining oblivious to the doubt that any believer should be crushed under in modern times (Americans in general seem so far behind  that it's as though the last 200 years of history, literature, philosophy, and science didn't happen).

It's getting harder for me to justify support of the liberal secular model of religious tolerance as well. A secular society almost requires a degree of "good faith", where the state doesn't inhibit religious beliefs but in turn religious beliefs don't encroach on the secular model itself; at least in a country as backwards as the US, this feels like a losing battle. For a secular system to work, it needs a degree of anti-religious sentiment to explicitly keep it out of government, and neither party is currently capable of that.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21395 on: July 02, 2018, 01:33:41 am »

Unconfirmed report has trump Farting in WTO's general direction.
A leaked draft of the Trump ordered Fair and Reciprocal Tariff Act, or Fart Act, has Trump abandoning WTO rules, allowing the president to raise tariffs without congressional consent. (first reported by Axios, which is apparently a credible news organization)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #21396 on: July 02, 2018, 02:34:47 am »

This is the Trumpiest thing Trump ever Trumped.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21397 on: July 02, 2018, 10:24:13 am »

Cohen about to turn informant?

Certainly looking like he’s trying to save his own hide, anyway.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21398 on: July 02, 2018, 10:50:43 am »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21399 on: July 02, 2018, 10:59:03 am »

Buy Info War Bonds
Eek.
People keep anticipating this even more since Trump got elected and people started being honest and/or swept up in his bullshit. It worries me.

That said, Alex Jones is really a wonderful salesman.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21400 on: July 02, 2018, 11:04:59 am »

Unconfirmed report has trump Farting in WTO's general direction.
A leaked draft of the Trump ordered Fair and Reciprocal Tariff Act, or Fart Act, has Trump abandoning WTO rules, allowing the president to raise tariffs without congressional consent. (first reported by Axios, which is apparently a credible news organization)

Maybe they should consult Congress for bill acronym ideas as they seem to have a real knack for clever bill name acronyms. And yeah, the joke writes itself.

Cohen about to turn informant?

Certainly looking like he’s trying to save his own hide, anyway.

Trump wishes loyalty to him is absolute and cannot concieve otherwise.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21401 on: July 02, 2018, 11:37:15 am »

People keep anticipating this even more since Trump got elected and people started being honest and/or swept up in his bullshit. It worries me.

I think it's because, for all Trump represents the zenith of Republicanism, he is also a cruel, vulgar buffoon, and he is ill-prepared to deal with the liberal backlash he generates. Thus, while they gloat, they also brace themselves.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21402 on: July 02, 2018, 06:04:24 pm »

Buy Info War Bonds
Eek.

You know that's a spliced-up montage of jump cuts out of a twenty-minute segment, right?

Why do I bother. You want to believe the worst, you have a lie that supports the worst, you will believe the worst.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21403 on: July 02, 2018, 06:29:23 pm »

Buy Info War Bonds
Eek.

You know that's a spliced-up montage of jump cuts out of a twenty-minute segment, right?

Why do I bother. You want to believe the worst, you have a lie that supports the worst, you will believe the worst.

Given its infowars, would it be better or worse if I saw the whole 20 minute segment?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21404 on: July 02, 2018, 07:28:04 pm »

Whatever you do, just make sure you agree with Shazbot's political views. Nevermind we're living in an era where the president will straight up invent facts, but how DARE you malign Infowars.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 1425 1426 [1427] 1428 1429 ... 3515