Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1435 1436 [1437] 1438 1439 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3595934 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #21540 on: July 09, 2018, 12:01:15 pm »

I'm extremely uncomfortable with anyone making death threats or anything interpret-able as such.  Remember back in 2012 when the Palin campaign marked target Democrat seats with crosshairs?  The actual intent was clearly innocent, but then Congresswoman Giffords got shot. 

We live in a time when it's horribly easy to accidentally incite violence.  And for what?  What's the benefit of being able to casually wish death on a person, even if everyone knows it's a "figure of speech"?  Even that seems sick to me.

But people hide behind insincerity so much, these days.  People "ironically" adopting Nazi memes as a joke, repeating them over and over until they lose all impact, then maybe stop looking like such a bad idea.  Language shapes behavior.

I'm less worried about Max specifically because he's demonstrated a lack of filter in other threads.  But I don't think it's "normal" to say such things.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21541 on: July 09, 2018, 12:17:18 pm »

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/08/626267768/gop-enthusiasm-fueled-by-trump-could-undercut-democrats-midterm-hopes

I'm having a very hard time having any respect for these people. Most of what they spew is propaganda, bullshit, and lies with a dose of straight up racism, confirmation bias and evidence that they are totally wrong only makes them more aggressively ignorant.

Who? All Republicans? NPR? I wouldn't bash ALL Republicans.

Though really, that counter enthusiasm is being fuelled by the SCOTUS nominee hopes, despite the fact that they're trying to get the confirmation done before the election.

I'm wondering what the long game is here for the media. I've seen similar headlines pop up in half a dozen different left leaning news sources. I always get suspicious when I see that.

Is it just a "Don't get complacent dems, we're not out of the woods yet." ? Or something else?

Or maybe there is no conspiritorational long game here :P

It's possible, but we've seen this pattern before. There's a narrative someone wants pushed, and then you seen a sudden widespread release of articles and news stories with similar, or occasionally identical wording almost simultaneously across a number of different news sources. When it's "Breaking news" it's easy to explain away. But when it's opinion pieces with no urgent context to them... it's a little more suspicious.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21542 on: July 09, 2018, 12:59:13 pm »

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/08/626267768/gop-enthusiasm-fueled-by-trump-could-undercut-democrats-midterm-hopes

I'm having a very hard time having any respect for these people. Most of what they spew is propaganda, bullshit, and lies with a dose of straight up racism, confirmation bias and evidence that they are totally wrong only makes them more aggressively ignorant.

Who? All Republicans? NPR? I wouldn't bash ALL Republicans.

Though really, that counter enthusiasm is being fuelled by the SCOTUS nominee hopes, despite the fact that they're trying to get the confirmation done before the election.

I'm wondering what the long game is here for the media. I've seen similar headlines pop up in half a dozen different left leaning news sources. I always get suspicious when I see that.

Is it just a "Don't get complacent dems, we're not out of the woods yet." ? Or something else?

Or maybe there is no conspiritorational long game here :P

It's possible, but we've seen this pattern before. There's a narrative someone wants pushed, and then you seen a sudden widespread release of articles and news stories with similar, or occasionally identical wording almost simultaneously across a number of different news sources. When it's "Breaking news" it's easy to explain away. But when it's opinion pieces with no urgent context to them... it's a little more suspicious.

I work in customer service and therefore I don't attribute to malice what I can explain via stupidity. Not that I put it past our media mind-overlords to conspire mind you, but a pack of profiteers with a blog and a lack of morals could also explain why the media, even the less major outlets, pick up on and immediately expound on every news story regardless of verification/wisdom/consequence/etc.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21543 on: July 09, 2018, 01:29:39 pm »

All I needed to do was talk to a real Trump supporter for 5 mins before they worked themselves up in to a frenzy enough that they stopped being politic.

It started with "illegal immigration" and within five minutes turned into "these Eastern Europeans are ejecting muslims from the country and shutting down their mosques, why can't we do that!"

"Perceived animus", my ass. You just have to read the anger in most Trump supporter's voices when you let them talk at length to see all the animus you need.

I read my share of animus in this thread, thank you. I believe it was Max wanting to disembowel the President?
I wanted Melania to disembowel him.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21544 on: July 09, 2018, 03:59:52 pm »

Vaguely AmeriPol - I really wish we had a stronger consumer protection agency and/or antitrust stuff happening.  My quarterly trash bill is higher than it was last quarter by another 3%.  It's been running at like 3% a quarter.  And it's because a local shop sold to a multi-state corporation.

My favorite bit was a few bills ago "in order to provide an acceptable rate of return to our investors, we're now going to add a fuel surcharge line item to your bill."  It actually stated it in those words.  Basically, "Because there isn't enough competent competition in your geographic area, we can just increase your bill and you can't do anything about it!"

A full 17% of my bill is "surcharges".

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21545 on: July 09, 2018, 04:59:41 pm »

Vaguely AmeriPol - I really wish we had a stronger consumer protection agency and/or antitrust stuff happening.  My quarterly trash bill is higher than it was last quarter by another 3%.  It's been running at like 3% a quarter.  And it's because a local shop sold to a multi-state corporation.

My favorite bit was a few bills ago "in order to provide an acceptable rate of return to our investors, we're now going to add a fuel surcharge line item to your bill."  It actually stated it in those words.  Basically, "Because there isn't enough competent competition in your geographic area, we can just increase your bill and you can't do anything about it!"

Welcome to America, by the corporations for the corporations.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #21546 on: July 09, 2018, 05:02:42 pm »

It's even more clever once you realise corporations are people
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21547 on: July 09, 2018, 07:20:46 pm »

Which colour soylent should I be getting..?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21548 on: July 09, 2018, 07:29:21 pm »

Red. It's all Red. The most best Red. The tremendousmost red.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21549 on: July 09, 2018, 07:35:31 pm »

Go for the red, it's top shelf stuff and it doesn't have the same weird aftertaste as the others. It has its own weird aftertaste, mind, but it's a lot less persistent.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21550 on: July 09, 2018, 07:38:33 pm »

It's even more clever once you realise corporations are people

Corporations are more people than people these days.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21551 on: July 09, 2018, 08:18:40 pm »

And the nominee is Kavanaugh. This corruption schtick is getting gauche in its transparency.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21552 on: July 09, 2018, 08:34:41 pm »

And the nominee is Kavanaugh. This corruption schtick is getting gauche in its transparency.
Apparently he once ruled that a sitting president cannot be indicted or some such back in 2009.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21553 on: July 09, 2018, 09:10:12 pm »

What was the rate of return before the hike? If the trash collection agency isn't making a 7% return on investment, all the private money might as well migrate elsewhere. If nobody else sees a market to move into (or if the local government blocks anyone else from trying) then that is what you'll see. Me, I just drive my trash directly to the dump. Its not Rumpke, is it?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21554 on: July 09, 2018, 09:12:47 pm »

From the looks of it he's basically Justice Kennedy's clone. He even worked for Kennedy for a while.

Apparently he once ruled that a sitting president cannot be indicted or some such back in 2009.

Not ruled, he stated his opinion that that was the case in an article in a legal journal. And he is 100% correct about it too. Here:
http://www.minnesotalawreview.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Kavanaugh_MLR.pdf

His argument is essentially that impeachment is sufficient and to put the responsibility for that on the judiciary instead would be a blatant violation of separation of powers, that the President has legal immunities for very good reasons, and that impeachment does not preclude subsequent prosecution.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:18:11 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 1435 1436 [1437] 1438 1439 ... 3515