Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1463 1464 [1465] 1466 1467 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3533764 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #21960 on: July 24, 2018, 02:14:46 pm »

Call me cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised if that advertisement was planned to go that way. Do something way over the top, generate controversy, "get rid of" the 'people behind the advertizement' (scapegoats) while paying them off, and then bask in people now talking about your chain while being able to wash your hands of having any part in the controversy.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21961 on: July 24, 2018, 02:17:24 pm »

BURGER JOINT is SO WOKE we would NEVER DO SUCH A BAD THING AT BURGER JOINT how unfortunate that BURGER JOINT was involved in such an unfortunate incident at BURGER JOINT where we sell DELICIOUS WOKE BURGERS.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #21962 on: July 24, 2018, 02:19:32 pm »

I can't help but think "There's no such thing as bad publicity" has gone from being used sarcastically in response to a fuck-up, to somewhere along the way losing the sarcasm and people start treating it as legitimate business advice...

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21963 on: July 24, 2018, 02:49:01 pm »

I can't help but think "There's no such thing as bad publicity" has gone from being used sarcastically in response to a fuck-up, to somewhere along the way losing the sarcasm and people start treating it as legitimate business advice...

It has always been a stone's throw away from the backbone of Unique Selling Point dogma: consumers fit brand names more easily into their little heads than they do context, so they'll remember hearing about a company long after they've forgotten where from and whatever atrocity they committed. The Internet has only intensified the competition for memory, and so it remains a mantra for an desperate Madison Avenue to repeat to itself as click-through rates plummet.

It's also had new life breathed into it by our political hyperpolarization to the point where being loathed is a way to get the people disliking whoever hates your brand to buy it out of spite.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21964 on: July 24, 2018, 02:51:13 pm »

BURGER JOINT is SO WOKE we would NEVER DO SUCH A BAD THING AT BURGER JOINT how unfortunate that BURGER JOINT was involved in such an unfortunate incident at BURGER JOINT where we sell DELICIOUS WOKE BURGERS.

I'd like a WOKE BURG with BLUE (PILL) CHEESE
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21965 on: July 24, 2018, 03:00:51 pm »

There're always going to be people who go "that was cool and edgy" and go buy it, anyway.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #21966 on: July 24, 2018, 04:06:22 pm »

And now Trump is tweeting that he's concerned the Russians will be meddling in the Democrats' favor in order to counteract him, the toughest President ever on Russia.

I just know this is going to promote decades of whataboutism. From now on, every time someone mentions Trump only being elected because of Russian meddling, the response from Republicans will be 'what about all the Democrats who only got elected because of Russian meddling?'.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21967 on: July 24, 2018, 04:32:03 pm »

Wow, I didn't realize that I was reading posts quite a few pages back when I replied.... Don't want to dredge up old topics so I removed it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 05:12:57 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21968 on: July 24, 2018, 04:50:38 pm »

And now Trump is tweeting that he's concerned the Russians will be meddling in the Democrats' favor in order to counteract him, the toughest President ever on Russia.

I just know this is going to promote decades of whataboutism. From now on, every time someone mentions Trump only being elected because of Russian meddling, the response from Republicans will be 'what about all the Democrats who only got elected because of Russian meddling?'.

Which would fit Putin’s plan to sow chaos perfectly. Whoever does the whataboutism is going to miss the point that Russia meddled.  Putin wouldn’t care if a randomican got elected President, his goal is just to sow chaos and the Democrats winning control of the House would fit his goals.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21969 on: July 24, 2018, 05:13:06 pm »

Also, I have to bring this up because I've been hearing a lot of stuff about it recently and some of it really annoys me -- so-called "whataboutism" makes a perfectly valid argument sometimes. The thing is, a lot of areas in which we have to make decisions are not absolute in their judgment, so pointing out places where the judgments are inconsistent is important to prevent double standards. Otherwise someone could start arguing about how black people are given worse sentences than white people for the same crimes in a certain court, and then their opponent could say, "Nope! You're using whataboutism! What those white people did doesn't decrease the severity of the crimes of those black people!"

Of course, this loses all meaning if the thing the whatabouter is pointing to isn't actually a true thing that happened, so referencing all those Democrats who supposedly were put into office by Russians (if said Democrats were not, actually, put into place by Russians) has no bearing whatsoever, as Folly said.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 05:14:48 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21970 on: July 24, 2018, 05:41:01 pm »

For a long time, right-leaning twitterers have been using the possibility of Russia meddling in the election (which is generally assumed to be by knobbling the voter opinions by false stories, rather than direct hacking¹) to support increased use of Voter Id (which doesn't protect eVoting booths, while it does suppress a certain range of voters that aren't genersl right-leaning).

That and the continued myth of 5 million or so illegal voters as an excuse for not getting the popular vote.

¹ There's evidence someone tried, but failed

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #21971 on: July 24, 2018, 05:41:58 pm »

Also, I have to bring this up because I've been hearing a lot of stuff about it recently and some of it really annoys me -- so-called "whataboutism" makes a perfectly valid argument sometimes. The thing is, a lot of areas in which we have to make decisions are not absolute in their judgment, so pointing out places where the judgments are inconsistent is important to prevent double standards. Otherwise someone could start arguing about how black people are given worse sentences than white people for the same crimes in a certain court, and then their opponent could say, "Nope! You're using whataboutism! What those white people did doesn't decrease the severity of the crimes of those black people!"

The problem with whataboutism is that it's used to justify bad behavior, rather than addressing it. If the white person got an unusually light sentence, measures need to be taken to ensure that everyone is given the sentence they deserve regardless of skin color. If the whataboutists have their way and everyone ends up getting light sentences, then it just promotes more crime.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21972 on: July 24, 2018, 05:48:01 pm »

While this is true, it is also extremely common to use "whataboutism" as an excuse to pretend problems don't exist. It is extremely easy to use "whataboutism" as a way to say "that isn't that common a problem, you're just using it to deflect attention" and never actually address the issue at all.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21973 on: July 24, 2018, 07:59:03 pm »

The phrasing here leaves me unable to tell whether or not use of whataboutism, or whether the word whataboutism itself, is being criticized.

My understanding of what makes whataboutism an -ism is that it is used with the specific goal of distraction. There's no example of an "innocent" case of whataboutism, since it exists specifically to defend something. In addition, it's an "Offensive defense", if that makes sense: it defends by attacking. The attack involved is usuallly true, but is often neither-here-nor-there, and isn't in good faith but a cynical attempt to put the opponent on the defense instead. The classic example is "And you are lynching negroes". Traditionally, it is known as Tu quoque, or "you also". Of course the thing that is whatabouted doesn't necessarily need to be morally equivalent.

It doesn't actually promote treating people lightly: They aren't actually promoting lenience or whatever, and whatabouters who compare soviet crimes to american hate would never do the same thing in reverse, since they on one side and not the other.

TL;DR: It's the principle of shouting "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!" only when you yourself are under threat, and being the most zealous slinger of stones the rest of the time.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21974 on: July 24, 2018, 08:08:51 pm »

TL;DR: It's the principle of shouting "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!" only when you yourself are under threat, and being the most zealous slinger of stones the rest of the time.

That Bible verse was mistranslated, it's supposed to be "let other people who are without sin throw the first stone at me".

It must be by the way that everyone applies it to their lives.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 1463 1464 [1465] 1466 1467 ... 3511