Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1513 1514 [1515] 1516 1517 ... 2147

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 1006889 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #22710 on: July 25, 2018, 03:25:17 pm »

Ok here I'm going to put this a way better way. My problem is that an elected representative meant to act as a leader of his state in some capacity is basically doing this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And this is the image that people see now when they think of a Georgia official. I myself feel like that's understandable to resign over.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22711 on: July 25, 2018, 03:43:59 pm »

This Republican got "duped" into saying we should "highly train" preschoolers to shoot guns at attackers. There's only so much "duping" needed. Sure, Sasha Baron Cohen might have planted the idea, but you still gotta go along with it to repeat the idea like that. These are supposed to be responsible community leaders after all, not some joe average on Candid Camera. If state leaders are endorsing crazy stuff like armed toddlers, then that's no fault of Cohen for "setting them up". He's doing the country a favor by exposing morons like this.
Without seeing the clip, are we sure that this isn't a case of the politician deliberately going along with the joke, in an attempt to seem "hip"? I have a hard time with the notion that that many people don't know that Cohen is a professional troll, given that his movies were such huge hits.
Well he got Cheney on his channel recently, and Palin a few weeks ago. It helps that he never uses his name. No one hears "Sasha Baron Cohen", they hear Col. Erran Morad, former Mossad agent, who has a nice website all done up in Hebrew for you to read if you want.

Hilariously, one of the people who were duped, Joe Walsh, was convinced in precisely this fashion: his wife asked to see their website, they gave her a Hebrew one. She asked for english, but Sasha's team did not respond, and the crucial bit is the Walsh's went with it anyway. Only after Walsh had endorsed the arming of toddlers did the Walsh's finally reach out the Israeli Consulate, discovering that yes, it was fake. Why did he go? If i had to guess, because Walsh was promised some lovely trophy for being a "Friend of Israel" in honor of their 70th anniversary (he did indeed receive a real trophy for this fake award).
Quote from: The Atlantic
“A 3-year-old cannot defend itself from an assault rifle by throwing a Hello Kitty pencil case at it,” says Representative Joe Wilson of South Carolina. “Our Founding Fathers did not put an age limit on the Second Amendment.”

“The intensive three-week Kinderguardian course introduces specially selected children from 12 to 4 years old to pistols, rifles, semiautomatics, and a rudimentary knowledge of mortars,” says the former congressman and talk-radio host Joe Walsh. (Yes, he said mortars.) “In less than a month, less than a month, a first grader can become a first grenader.”

“Toddlers are pure, uncorrupted by fake news or homosexuality,” says Larry Pratt, the executive director emeritus of Gun Owners of America, before dutifully continuing with the talking points “Morad” has given to him. “Children under 5 also have elevated levels of the pheromone Blink-182, produced by the part of the liver known as the Rita Ora. This produces nerve reflexes to travel along the Cardi B neural pathway to the Wiz Khalifa 40 percent faster, saving time and saving lives.”
For what it's worth, a fourth republican did show up on the show, but in the word's of politico, "[they] declined to endorse the arming of toddlers."

It's probably not that these people secretly believe that toddlers should be armed. Just that it's surprisingly easy to convince them to go along with the very obviously insane so long as you appear genuine and very earnest and passionate about it. Sasha doesn't throw up the red flags that ordinarily prevent people and politicians from getting into these circumstances to begin with, so they let their guard down and do what the nice man asks them to do.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION!!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22712 on: July 25, 2018, 04:05:57 pm »

I approve of giving politicians the rope with which they will hang themselves.
If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the Gods, and the nights will flame with fire.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22713 on: July 25, 2018, 04:09:19 pm »

... The head of Gun Owners of America actually read out that the Blink-182 pheromone allows toddlers to shoot faster.

The reason I single that out is to point out how these people exist in a different media landscape to the rest of us. While they may be vaguely aware that say, Borat, was a thing, they haven't seen it, and probably didn't even know who Sacha Baron Cohen is.

Cohen's use of those band-names was partly to point out how out of touch these people are with mainstream culture, but also the clear scientific illiteracy, that they wouldn't guess something was wrong just from what they were given to read.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 04:17:10 pm by Reelya »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22714 on: July 25, 2018, 04:15:32 pm »

... The head of Gun Owners of America actually read out that the Blink-182 pheromone allows toddlers to shoot faster.
People say some seriously stupid shit when presented with certain situations. I recall there being some show on Worldstar designed around this fact, where people would be asked "who is the first president of the United States?" or "What kind of cheese is the moon made out of?" and people would answer with "Abraham Lincoln" and "Mozzerella" 100% dead serious. Because they were ambushed with a time limit.

It's not too far of a stretch to imagine SBC used similar techniques designed to force that sort of situation.

Doesn't make it any less stupid to say though, and the guy who got all butthurt about it is and should be a laughingstock. You never saw Obama freak out because a pundit made fun of him and then he felt forced to barge into the Today Show set and moon the audience.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22715 on: July 25, 2018, 04:25:41 pm »

It's a shame he couldn't hook the Nimble Navigator himself. Under normal circumstances there would be someone competent to screen prospective interviews with a sitting president, but I think Cohen actually would have had a shot at getting the Donald into a live broadcast studio by pushing the right buttons as an apparent "alternative" news source.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22716 on: July 25, 2018, 04:29:26 pm »

Honestly, I'd bet his only real challenge there would be getting into the Don's personal Email box. If he can slip past the security against talking to the President, he'd be able to get Trump to say anything, because Trump is an egoist and thus easily manipulated.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
  • [Social_Democrat_Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22717 on: July 25, 2018, 04:46:29 pm »

I mean, purple literally blow themselves up for no better reason than to kill people for their ideology. You don't think similar extremists would just as readily take a presidential position with such stipulations.

A better way would just to have all assets seized after their term is up. Make it so they can't keep anything they might gain from it. Eliminates the problem I think.
When you become president, all of your assets are seized and assessed. They're then distributed according to, uh, groundhog farts or whatever, who cares.

After your presidency, you get a random assortment of new assets worth what you gave up on entry, plus inflation. Well, to the best of current knowledge and with little to no ability to predict future performance, though if they're sufficiently randomized and distributed, you probably won't lose everything due to a faulty swing in the economy. Hell, you might be better off if you weren't sufficiently diversified beforehand.

That way, getting into the presidency isn't a sacrifice, but it also isn't ripe for exploitation like having government meetings and foreign dignitaries at your own hotels, paying you. For example. Off the top of my head. Completely out of nowhere.

And any 'exploitation' you do to make sure you're better off afterward would necessarily be to better the whole economy, not just your little corner of it, because you have no idea what you're going to get. Similarly, the bribery and 'bribery' from industry would cancel itself out, because all assets are taken and randomized from the president so whatever million dollar babyfund you give their campaign or them will be obliterated.

The only problem is nepotistic exploitation, giving your brother-in-law's company a cozy make-work job or something. Dunno how you'd fix that unless you also randomize the assets of anyone related to the president.

/s
Reminds me of a fantasy book I read. The people randomly select someone as the leader and strip them of everything then force them to run the country. If things get worse they don't get their stuff back and if it gets better they benefit proportionally.
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."

"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate to suffering"

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #22718 on: July 25, 2018, 05:02:59 pm »

CNN now reporting that their correspondent has been banned from open press events at the WH, because Trump did not like her questions about Cohen's betrayal and Putin's failure to acknowledge his invitation.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22719 on: July 25, 2018, 05:42:11 pm »

Bearing in mind this is the man who is threatening to take away the security clearance of former heads of various intelligence agencies under the Obama adminisration ‘cause they say he’s not very good.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22720 on: July 25, 2018, 05:42:53 pm »

Honestly, I'd bet his only real challenge there would be getting into the Don's personal Email box. If he can slip past the security against talking to the President, he'd be able to get Trump to say anything, because Trump is an egoist and thus easily manipulated.
Once bitten..?

Ispil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22721 on: July 25, 2018, 07:32:07 pm »

Oh hey, some House Republicans filed articles of impeachment against Rosenstein. Not that it matters, given that they would need a majority in the House and 2/3 of the Senate to go forward, and they have neither (or at least a definitive no on the Senate) and no procedural bullshit can circumvent those two requirements. At best it gives Trump some cover for removing Rosenstein, but that's a paper-thin excuse that will certainly send his presidency down in flames.

It's also worth noting that the two representatives who introduced the measure, Jim Jordan and Matt Meadows, are both running for reelection in 2018 and are leaning heavy on a pro-Trump stance. In other words, it's a ploy to show voters that they tried to end the "witch hunt" with no expectation of it ever following through.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."- Voltaire

I transcribe things, too.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #22722 on: July 25, 2018, 08:21:59 pm »

...At best it gives Trump some cover for removing Rosenstein, but that's a paper-thin excuse that will certainly send his presidency down in flames....

You mean like being recorded telling his lawyer to pay hush money to a prostitute he had an affair with?
Space 'Murrica! United States of Space! (Stellaris Democratic Succession)

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22723 on: July 25, 2018, 08:54:02 pm »

Yeah I'm at a bit of a loss as to how his reputation could possibly worsen unless he starts literally strangling brown children to open his press statements.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ispil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22724 on: July 25, 2018, 09:35:33 pm »

Nah, preludes to actually killing the Russia investigation doesn't even have majority Republican support in the Senate, and that'd be a major indicator of such. The tapes are... well, they're kind of old news, in a sense. All they do is catch Trump lying about something he said earlier, and everyone knows (and doesn't care that) Trump lies. Removing Rosenstein with the presumption that it is to replace him with someone more willing to remove Mueller is far, far bigger, and he'd be hard-pressed to get people to support such a thing when push comes to shove.

Given Trump's inability to properly shut up about his actual motivations for things (e.g. the Comey firing), it would be hard for him to remain tight-lipped about whatever pretense he fired Rosenstein under. If it gets out that he did so as a means to curtail the Russia investigation, shit would hit the fan in quite a notable way.

As much as people like to think that Trump can do whatever the hell he wants and no one cares, you can see a notable (and long-lived) dip in his approval ratings exactly coinciding with his firing of Comey. Firing Rosenstein would be at that level, if not worse, if his justification is to curtail the Russia investigation.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."- Voltaire

I transcribe things, too.
Pages: 1 ... 1513 1514 [1515] 1516 1517 ... 2147