Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1619 1620 [1621] 1622 1623 ... 1689

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 680959 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #24300 on: September 14, 2018, 02:49:22 pm »

I have multiple friends in the military, and more than half of them are not on board with Trump. I expect his approval rating is mirrored in the military.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ispil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24301 on: September 14, 2018, 02:53:58 pm »

Hey man, he’s got a pretty constant ~40% approval rate. That’s a pretty significant chunk of people who think the swamp is trying to overrun the Trumpster.

It’s been declining since the convictions, and Mueller’s approval increasing.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."- Voltaire

I transcribe things, too.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24302 on: September 14, 2018, 03:12:55 pm »

I have multiple friends in the military, and more than half of them are not on board with Trump. I expect his approval rating is mirrored in the military.
From the last I remember seeing much on it, his approval is decent among the army, fairly high among marines (almost certainly an artifact of mattis, with a non-zero chance of hard flip should something happen to him), and low-ish among air force and navy. Country wide approval isn't mirrored, per se, but it's not all that high, either.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24303 on: September 14, 2018, 03:59:49 pm »

From the last I remember seeing much on it, his approval is decent among the army, fairly high among marines (almost certainly an artifact of mattis, with a non-zero chance of hard flip should something happen to him), and low-ish among air force and navy. Country wide approval isn't mirrored, per se, but it's not all that high, either.
How much of that is loyalty to the President Trump versus loyalty to Trump the person? Sorta like how the Varangian Guard were loyal to whoever was Emperor, not to any Emperor in particular

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • That is a wing not a ponytail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24304 on: September 14, 2018, 04:08:52 pm »

How much of that is loyalty to the President Trump versus loyalty to Trump the person? Sorta like how the Varangian Guard were loyal to whoever was Emperor, not to any Emperor in particular
That actually seems like a really good thought.  He is pretty much the entire armed forces' boss so it makes me wonder how many members of the armed forces may have answered "Oh yes sir, I love the man and he is a boon to the country" simply because their CO was issuing the survey?

Naturally I've never been in the military, so I'm not sure how this stuff works, but wouldn't being openly against the man qualify as insubordination?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24305 on: September 14, 2018, 04:19:47 pm »

That actually seems like a really good thought.  He is pretty much the entire armed forces' boss so it makes me wonder how many members of the armed forces may have answered "Oh yes sir, I love the man and he is a boon to the country" simply because their CO was issuing the survey?

Naturally I've never been in the military, so I'm not sure how this stuff works, but wouldn't being openly against the man qualify as insubordination?
That the President can slash defence spending probably also helps persuade those working in defence not to be critical without good cause. But I mean more in the sense of army units (and especially elite units) having a tendency to immensely respect their heads of state regardless of who they are, as long as they are head of state, because their commissioned authority fundamentally derives from the head of state and they are formally trained to respect authority / the sovereign authority. So would the polls showing massive approval for Trump amongst armed forces indicate that they support the President, or specifically Trump the person - in other words, if a 5D US risk II electric boogaloo happened because Trump was impeached for example, would the US armed forces side with Trump, or with whomever was the subsequent President? If its the former, they're loyal to Trump - if it's the latter, they're loyal to the President. Making Mattis defence secretary likely helps too

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24306 on: September 14, 2018, 04:23:49 pm »

It's not insubordination if there's not an order that is being disobeyed. You're allowed, hell, expected to dislike your superiors, but you're also expected to follow orders whether you like them or not.

That's internal politics. However, the military is also extremely careful with public image, and part of that means displaying unity (partly why such a stink is made around people in uniform loudly voicing political opinions: It's breaking the "uniformity"). So even if you don't like the president, you are required to support him. There is definitely a lot of loyalty to the system going on, whether it's actually felt or just adopted because everyone else is doing it (also rather prevalent).

On top of that, a very hefty number of soldiers are recruited from low-income, low-education rural families who overlap considerably with the kind of people who hopped aboard the Trump train. So, essentially, there are multiple factors at play.

UrbanGiraffe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24307 on: September 14, 2018, 04:33:06 pm »

Historically, the soldiers themselves rarely mutiny unless one of two things happen:

1) Their pay goes into severe arrears / the state goes bankrupt, or living conditions for the specific soldiers in a location go beyond physical limits of what's tolerable
2) There are existing ethnic or religious divisions with active political conflict ongoing outside the military

Mutinies used to be extremely common in armies, the norm even, but modern states will usually spare no expense (or hold back on political purges) to prevent mutinies. How far up the officer hierarchy a mutiny goes and to what extent it is aligned with other political events could be used to distinguish them from other things like open rebellion or revolution, but these are essentially "bottom up" events.

If the unrest starts at the top with senior officers, it's a coup, not a rebellion. Whether a coup works or not depends on many things, but mostly it's the timing and the degree to which the senior officers are on board that matters. The body of the army in a successful coup won't have time to hear what's going on, let alone decide what they want to do, while ideally there also wouldn't be any loyal senior officers in a position to impede it long enough for word to get out.

Edit: Anyway, the gist is that if the US military were to oust Trump, it would almost definitely be a coup carried out by the senior officers and not have any connection to the "loyalty" of the army itself.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 04:40:33 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24308 on: September 14, 2018, 07:02:58 pm »

No, but the military is quite careful about not letting uniformed servicemen/women express political opinions to the public, at least while in uniform. Mostly to avoid making it seem like the military is politically biased, because that would be bad.

It IS biased, mostly to rural, gun-toting strongmen types IME, that tends to bend Republican in the current political climate, but there's soldiers and airmen and seamen from all over, so there's not insignificant subgroups of all sorts of types, including everyone from your usual democrat to SJWs to commies to outright fascists. The only group not represented is, obviously, pacifists, but they still sometimes show up on the fringes as doctors and paperpushers and the like, generally as contractors.

So it's as one might expect from the military: there's a natural selection for people who like big boomies and love AR15s, and for people of low incomes at home, but there's plenty of exceptions to one or both. One of the few good things I can say about the military is that they're pretty tolerant of your private life being private as long as it doesn't fuck with their image, and now as long as you're not one'a dem durn trannies, because you know my foremost concern in a foxhole is to not have a guy looking at my ass, not to not be shot by the vietcong. That comes second!  ::)

One of the guys in my squadron put it pretty eloquently: "If my ass is what encourages [gay squad member] to fight harder, I'll take my damn pants off."
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - A quest starring Mukuro Ikusaba, about distancing yourself from emotional abuse by... Becoming entangled in a three-way war for the fate of the planet?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Cogito ergo sum periculosus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24309 on: September 14, 2018, 07:35:12 pm »

Blah blah Sacred Band of Carthage blah
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • I got nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24310 on: September 14, 2018, 07:42:24 pm »

Thebes, you mean?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Cogito ergo sum periculosus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24311 on: September 15, 2018, 05:23:42 am »

I was thinking of them yeah. I knew they were Greek, but Drunk-Me insisted it was Carthage.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24312 on: September 15, 2018, 08:12:37 pm »

So apparently as a hurricane humps up to the coast, massachusetts is exploding? Dozens of explosions, things catching fire. Sounds sorta' like a monumentally colossal fuck up on the part of some gas company or another, from what I've noticed.

I'm seeing buzz about Julia Salazar winning her primary.

I'm not fully convinced these two things are related.

God's punishment, obviously :P

Let me know when the swarms of locusts show up. :P
Let's see, war, famine, death... and grasshoppers. Seems like one-a' them things ain't quite like th' others.
Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
The VectorCurses+1 tileset strikes the square set and the severed part sails off in an arc!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #24313 on: September 15, 2018, 08:25:40 pm »

Auditions for that fourth horseman position must have been interesting.

“Well, Pest, you’re not quite what we’re looking for. I mean, Famine kind of already does what your thing can do, perhaps you have some extra talents you can offer?”

“Oh, I can do virulent disease too. It’s just a party trick really...”

“... you’re in.”

“Nah, scat isn’t really my bag.”
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

Did you know we have a mafia subforum? Check it out!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24314 on: September 15, 2018, 08:28:25 pm »

Dunno why it gets used instead of Conquest.
Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
The VectorCurses+1 tileset strikes the square set and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Pages: 1 ... 1619 1620 [1621] 1622 1623 ... 1689