Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1564 1565 [1566] 1567 1568 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3533636 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #23475 on: September 14, 2018, 07:02:58 pm »

How much of that is loyalty to the President Trump versus loyalty to Trump the person? Sorta like how the Varangian Guard were loyal to whoever was Emperor, not to any Emperor in particular
That actually seems like a really good thought.  He is pretty much the entire armed forces' boss so it makes me wonder how many members of the armed forces may have answered "Oh yes sir, I love the man and he is a boon to the country" simply because their CO was issuing the survey?

Naturally I've never been in the military, so I'm not sure how this stuff works, but wouldn't being openly against the man qualify as insubordination?
No, but the military is quite careful about not letting uniformed servicemen/women express political opinions to the public, at least while in uniform. Mostly to avoid making it seem like the military is politically biased, because that would be bad.

It IS biased, mostly to rural, gun-toting strongmen types IME, that tends to bend Republican in the current political climate, but there's soldiers and airmen and seamen from all over, so there's not insignificant subgroups of all sorts of types, including everyone from your usual democrat to SJWs to commies to outright fascists. The only group not represented is, obviously, pacifists, but they still sometimes show up on the fringes as doctors and paperpushers and the like, generally as contractors.

So it's as one might expect from the military: there's a natural selection for people who like big boomies and love AR15s, and for people of low incomes at home, but there's plenty of exceptions to one or both. One of the few good things I can say about the military is that they're pretty tolerant of your private life being private as long as it doesn't fuck with their image, and now as long as you're not one'a dem durn trannies, because you know my foremost concern in a foxhole is to not have a guy looking at my ass, not to not be shot by the vietcong. That comes second!  ::)

One of the guys in my squadron put it pretty eloquently: "If my ass is what encourages [gay squad member] to fight harder, I'll take my damn pants off."
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23476 on: September 14, 2018, 07:35:12 pm »

Blah blah Sacred Band of Carthage blah
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23477 on: September 14, 2018, 07:42:24 pm »

Thebes, you mean?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23478 on: September 15, 2018, 05:23:42 am »

I was thinking of them yeah. I knew they were Greek, but Drunk-Me insisted it was Carthage.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23479 on: September 15, 2018, 08:12:37 pm »

So apparently as a hurricane humps up to the coast, massachusetts is exploding? Dozens of explosions, things catching fire. Sounds sorta' like a monumentally colossal fuck up on the part of some gas company or another, from what I've noticed.

I'm seeing buzz about Julia Salazar winning her primary.

I'm not fully convinced these two things are related.

God's punishment, obviously :P

Let me know when the swarms of locusts show up. :P
Let's see, war, famine, death... and grasshoppers. Seems like one-a' them things ain't quite like th' others.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #23480 on: September 15, 2018, 08:25:40 pm »

Auditions for that fourth horseman position must have been interesting.

“Well, Pest, you’re not quite what we’re looking for. I mean, Famine kind of already does what your thing can do, perhaps you have some extra talents you can offer?”

“Oh, I can do virulent disease too. It’s just a party trick really...”

“... you’re in.”

“Nah, scat isn’t really my bag.”
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23481 on: September 15, 2018, 08:28:25 pm »

Dunno why it gets used instead of Conquest.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23482 on: September 15, 2018, 09:29:22 pm »

Did we ever get around to discussing the sexual assault claim against Kavanaugh that surfaced in recent days? Feinstein had it, and referred it to the FBI. Republicans launched into damage control mode, and Democrats don't seem to know what to make of it, or are waiting to see what happens. No one but Feinstein seemed to know about it in advance though, so everyone's a little blindsided.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23483 on: September 15, 2018, 09:48:39 pm »

Pestilence is one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse not because of grasshoppers but because of, you know, the plague. You know, the thing that had the strange tendency to kill essentially everyone.

Either I don't get your humour or what the shit.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #23484 on: September 15, 2018, 09:51:22 pm »

I think you just don’t get the humour, but I’m also poor at communicating it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23485 on: September 15, 2018, 09:57:14 pm »

Did we ever get around to discussing the sexual assault claim against Kavanaugh that surfaced in recent days? Feinstein had it, and referred it to the FBI. Republicans launched into damage control mode, and Democrats don't seem to know what to make of it, or are waiting to see what happens. No one but Feinstein seemed to know about it in advance though, so everyone's a little blindsided.

It was never discussed AFAIK, no. It appears that other Senators basically just got the letters and info, so, it sounds like everybody is just waiting to see what happens next since it's not clear that the allegations actually pan out and the accuser is being anonymous right now.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #23486 on: September 15, 2018, 10:08:02 pm »

There really isn't anything to discuss at this point. All we have is an anonymous allegation from decades ago, with little to support it. Right now, any discussion would be rooted more in personal bias than any real data, so the only sane thing to do is wait and see if the FBI investigation turns up anything. This isn't like the allegations against Trump or Franken, where several people immediately chimed in to back the accuser(s), and evidence was provided. Pretty much anybody who doesn't trust Feinstein is going to default to the "obvious dirty pool fabrication" position, which helps nobody.

If it happened, it should be disqualifying. The focus should be on trying to find out if there's any evidence to suggest that it did.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23487 on: September 15, 2018, 10:15:02 pm »

There really isn't anything to discuss at this point. All we have is an anonymous allegation from decades ago, with little to support it. Right now, any discussion would be rooted more in personal bias than any real data, so the only sane thing to do is wait and see if the FBI investigation turns up anything. This isn't like the allegations against Trump or Franken, where several people immediately chimed in to back the accuser(s), and evidence was provided. Pretty much anybody who doesn't trust Feinstein is going to default to the "obvious dirty pool fabrication" position, which helps nobody.

If it happened, it should be disqualifying. The focus should be on trying to find out if there's any evidence to suggest that it did.

I wouldn't count on the Republicans to delay the Kavanaugh confirmation to let the FBI do it's investigation....

Yes, waiting for the FBI investigation to do it's thing is the logical conclusion, but the Republicans are hellbent on confirming him before the fall SCOTUS session starts, let alone before the midterms or even until January.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23488 on: September 15, 2018, 10:43:54 pm »

What WOULD happen if he's allowed into the SC and then accused of a crime? Could he essentially pardon himself? They're the head of the whole judicial system, though, so really, how would things play out if enough people become convinced he really did it?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23489 on: September 15, 2018, 10:52:20 pm »

SCOTUS justice (or any judge) seems to be as able to be charged, indicted, etc., as anyone. The specifics of their position makes it fairly unlikely they'll (have the time alone to) do something criminal, but that's about it.

So far as cases that involve a personal stake, I seem to recall a justice is required to recuse themselves from the case. Could swear that actually happened fairly recently with something fairly high stakes, even. An actual conviction might not automatically mean they lose the position, but it's stupidly strong impetus for an impeachment.

E: 'Course, the GOP being what it is, if the guy was confirmed first they probably would stall an impeachment if he was subsequently filmed diddling children, but a criminal conviction of some sort would make it pretty damn unlikely he served until willing retirement a decade or three out.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 10:57:26 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1564 1565 [1566] 1567 1568 ... 3511