Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1638 1639 [1640] 1641 1642 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3595456 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #24585 on: October 24, 2018, 05:42:43 pm »

"Wasted" votes is actually a technical term. It sounds better than the closely related "efficiency gap", anyway.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24586 on: October 24, 2018, 05:43:50 pm »

I think you're approaching this issue from a perspective that is way too individualistic.
I'm not. It's just a fact of voting. Whether that fact is important depends on your point of view. Someone who wishes to empower individuals to make decisions in government has a hard life ahead of them. I do not fall into that category, nor do I believe that the rhetorical "Homo Economicus" is either a real being or an ideal I wish to see exist (which makes the point moot except for ultra-rational discussion). I just want a healthy democracy.

The point isn't that my individual vote that's so precious is wasted (and damn that makes me feel so alone in the universe), it's that the vote of everyone in my party (a party that can't even exist under this system) is always going to be wasted, now and forever. To introduce a bad analogy, it's like arguing that using calculus to compute areas and volumes is bullshit because the individual arbitrarily small components of the sum might as well be zero.
I can disagree just as easily. You're imagining some sort of perfect gerrymander, but this is unreal. Federal-level Gerrymanders in this country last for at most 10 years and any demographic changes which occur within that time weaken the gerrymander. People are born, come of age, and die, and opinions shift. The government doesn't have the power to make unlimited districts at any time and that and other "hard" restrictions on gerrymandering (as opposed to "soft" restrictions like court-challenges) impose a hardcap on the degree of successful gerrymandering. Again, you're assuming perfect knowledge of people's political preferences perfect stasis, and perfect freedom to create and shape districts, and yes in that system a party can be completely disenfranchised forever. The current system cannot be gerrymandered to that level and to focus on that is misleading, since it ignores situations where gerrymanders are overcome (which does happen!). Finally, by fixateing on parties, you ignore the specter of so-called "bipartisan gerrymandering", where states are redrawn specifically to defend incumbents. This does not disadvantage either party more or less than it is already ss under the previous system, but there are losers. There are sub-party movements, for example, or bipartisan issues. But this is Devil's advocate stuff here, I agree with you but I see your point as complementary rather than contradictory.

I get the sense that we agree on 90% particulars here (perhaps even 95%), I'm just questioning your rhetorical focus on how votes aren't real, and "wasted" and "surplus" votes given that A) it's very discouraging towards the overall goal of getting people to vote (which is in my mind a Good Thing), and B) even under an ideal system your vote will never really "matter" much anyway, that's just part and parcel of living in a democracy with a lot of people in it. That doesn't mean you shouldn't vote or we shouldn't improve the system, just that the entire exercise of analyzing vote value is fruitless.

I wouldn't even be going on about this if people actually listened to me (outside this forum obviously), because then they'd hear me saying how their vote doesn't matter, which would make them stop voting, which would be a Bad Thing.
-snip-
Salmon's stated it better than I. The only thing I'd add (although it hardly needs to be said) is that people feeling their vote matters less than others is a really, really bad thing for a variety of reasons that I listed much earlier: worse outcomes, less representative decisions (which likely again leads into "worse outcomes", like most of these), more apathy, more injustice, civic disengagement, etc. etc.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24587 on: October 24, 2018, 05:51:24 pm »

I think democracy is overrated. What we need is a strong willed dictator that tells people what to think
What immaginary conspiracy shall we pin all our troubles on? Communists again?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24588 on: October 24, 2018, 05:55:48 pm »

I think democracy is overrated. What we need is a strong willed dictator that tells people what to think

Muslims are pretty played out and Russia only scares the left. It's China or commies.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #24589 on: October 24, 2018, 06:21:43 pm »

Russia only scares the left
You're not wrong but... what a weird world we live in.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24590 on: October 24, 2018, 06:54:46 pm »

Liberals, clearly.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #24591 on: October 24, 2018, 07:30:52 pm »

Regarding today's bomb activities...
Quote from: Donald Trump
The media also has a responsibility to set a civil tone and to stop the endless hostility and constant negative and often times false attacks and stories. They have to do it. They have to do it. They have got to stop.

So basically, the fake news deserve to get blown up for badmouthing Trump.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24592 on: October 24, 2018, 07:46:09 pm »

To be fair, families are entirely capable of dividing and not speaking with each other even without getting politics involved.

Speaking from experience.
To quote Jack Handey, "It's sad how families can be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24593 on: October 24, 2018, 08:51:08 pm »

I think you're approaching this issue from a perspective that is way too individualistic.
I'm not.

Are too!

Spoiler: Further clever retorts (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 09:04:31 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24594 on: October 25, 2018, 05:56:43 am »

An 8th bomb was mailed to actor Robert De Niro this morning.
At this time none of the bombs have been detonated, suggesting that their purpose is terror rather than actually causing physical harm.

EDIT:
Trump's tweet in response to bomb #8
Quote from: Donald Trump
A very big part of the Anger we see today in our society is caused by the purposely false and inaccurate reporting of the Mainstream Media that I refer to as Fake News. It has gotten so bad and hateful that it is beyond description. Mainstream Media must clean up its act, FAST!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 06:23:52 am by Folly »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24595 on: October 25, 2018, 05:59:29 am »

At some point, the USPS is going to start X-raying packages.  This sending bombs shit is just getting too frequent.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24596 on: October 25, 2018, 07:03:23 am »

Joe Biden has reported receiving a potential 9th mail bomb.

EDIT: Ninth bomb confirmed.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 07:34:48 am by Folly »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #24597 on: October 25, 2018, 07:13:07 am »

According to the news this morning, it was mid-addressed, but he was the intended recipient.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24598 on: October 25, 2018, 08:46:08 am »

And yet this is somehow the fault of the recipients according to Trump and the alt right.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24599 on: October 25, 2018, 08:50:09 am »

And yet this is somehow the fault of the recipients according to Trump and the alt right.

Well, look at all the bombable activites of Mr De Niro (got the E and I completely the wrong way round in my head).  He's just getting what he deserves, damnit! /s
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 1638 1639 [1640] 1641 1642 ... 3515