Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1639 1640 [1641] 1642 1643 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3532623 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #24600 on: October 25, 2018, 08:52:25 am »

This is basically going down a list of everyone fox news has spent more than 30 seconds criticizing over the past 2-3 years.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24601 on: October 25, 2018, 08:56:01 am »

An 8th bomb was mailed to actor Robert De Niro this morning.
At this time none of the bombs have been detonated, suggesting that their purpose is terror rather than actually causing physical harm.

EDIT:
Trump's tweet in response to bomb #8
Quote from: Donald Trump
A very big part of the Anger we see today in our society is caused by the purposely false and inaccurate reporting of the Mainstream Media that I refer to as Fake News. It has gotten so bad and hateful that it is beyond description. Mainstream Media must clean up its act, FAST!

Funny, but it almost sounds like Trump is criticizing extremist conservative media there, since that's what drove this.  Except, of course, I'm sure he believes it's a false flag too.  Or Fake Flag maybe.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24602 on: October 25, 2018, 09:03:22 am »

An 8th bomb was mailed to actor Robert De Niro this morning.
At this time none of the bombs have been detonated, suggesting that their purpose is terror rather than actually causing physical harm.

EDIT:
Trump's tweet in response to bomb #8
Quote from: Donald Trump
A very big part of the Anger we see today in our society is caused by the purposely false and inaccurate reporting of the Mainstream Media that I refer to as Fake News. It has gotten so bad and hateful that it is beyond description. Mainstream Media must clean up its act, FAST!

Funny, but it almost sounds like Trump is criticizing extremist conservative media there, since that's what drove this.  Except, of course, I'm sure he believes it's a false flag too.  Or Fake Flag maybe.

I can scarcely wait for Trump to boast about his fifth column. He's got the best fifth column, everyone knows it, it's yuge!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #24603 on: October 25, 2018, 09:38:27 am »

It seems the bomber doubled down on Joe Biden with a second mail bomb addressed to him, bringing our total to 10.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24604 on: October 25, 2018, 10:55:18 am »

Biden his time?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24605 on: October 25, 2018, 11:39:03 am »

It seems the bomber doubled down on Joe Biden with a second mail bomb addressed to him, bringing our total to 10.
He knew Uncle Joe would brush off just one bomb and go back to flexing his guns for his ladies. (Goddamnit, I miss The Onion version of Joe Biden).

EDIT: At least one bomb was laden with right-wing memes.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 01:20:03 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24606 on: October 25, 2018, 06:48:05 pm »

From what I'm gathering it sounds like there is considerable disparity between these packages. One package with a clock, one with a battery, one with loose powder, one with glass shrapnel, one with an ISIS flag, various degrees of misspelling in the name and address, and of course various locations they were sent to using different delivery methods. My concern is that this sounds very much like a test run, to see how close each package can get to it's target before being detected, looking for any holes in the screening processes that might be exploited when the bomber gets serious.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24607 on: October 25, 2018, 06:50:59 pm »

While making it a non-feasible explosive device would get the media's attention and let the bomber know their package had been received, it seems counter-productive to tip their hand like that. Why bother to make bombs with powder and shrapnel that will never explode?

My money is on either: total amateur crackpot, or a group of people wanting to fan the flames.

Either way as I see it, if someone actually knew what they were doing and actually wanted someone dead, someone would be dead already.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24608 on: October 25, 2018, 06:53:59 pm »

I think democracy is overrated. What we need is a strong willed dictator that tells people what to think

This is the line between hard power and soft power.

With hard power, the oligarch's media tells you what to think. With soft power, the oligarch's media tells you what to think about. In the modern version the media tells you what the acceptable arena of debate is, then they define the acceptable "sides" in that debate for you. Then they give you "freedom to make your own mind up", but the freedom is like saying "Which soda is right for you? Coke or Pepsi?"

Orwell's propaganda machine as described in 1984 is obsolete technology. Modern propaganda is in fact the successor to traditional propaganda. A single unified "what to think" platform that doesn't allow any debate is very brittle and allows opponents to develop their own alternative channels to discuss things which are out of state control, and thus can form a united front against the state. Alternatively, presenting every story as having a range of allowed opinions means you can control the topics of debate and ensure that the populace is too busy arguing with each other about the details to challenge the state itself in any coherent way.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 07:32:30 pm by Reelya »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24609 on: October 25, 2018, 07:12:20 pm »

From what I'm gathering it sounds like there is considerable disparity between these packages. One package with a clock, one with a battery, one with loose powder, one with glass shrapnel, one with an ISIS flag, various degrees of misspelling in the name and address, and of course various locations they were sent to using different delivery methods. My concern is that this sounds very much like a test run, to see how close each package can get to it's target before being detected, looking for any holes in the screening processes that might be exploited when the bomber gets serious.

That seems counterproductive to me. You would think that the heightened security in the aftermath of the test would negate anything learned. Besides, even the TSA makes a point of changing their protocols after every incident, and the Secret Service is smaller (certainly per protectee) and thus more agile in that regard.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24610 on: October 26, 2018, 05:46:06 am »

I think democracy is overrated. What we need is a strong willed dictator that tells people what to think

This is the line between hard power and soft power.

With hard power, the oligarch's media tells you what to think. With soft power, the oligarch's media tells you what to think about. In the modern version the media tells you what the acceptable arena of debate is, then they define the acceptable "sides" in that debate for you. Then they give you "freedom to make your own mind up", but the freedom is like saying "Which soda is right for you? Coke or Pepsi?"

Orwell's propaganda machine as described in 1984 is obsolete technology. Modern propaganda is in fact the successor to traditional propaganda. A single unified "what to think" platform that doesn't allow any debate is very brittle and allows opponents to develop their own alternative channels to discuss things which are out of state control, and thus can form a united front against the state. Alternatively, presenting every story as having a range of allowed opinions means you can control the topics of debate and ensure that the populace is too busy arguing with each other about the details to challenge the state itself in any coherent way.
So what we're going for here is, really, something closer to a Brave Fahrenheit 198451 World.

Finally, global warming explained!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24611 on: October 26, 2018, 08:22:05 am »

Suspicious packages #11 and #12 are currently being dealt with, addressed to Senator Cory Booker and former National Intelligence Director James Clapper.

Edit:
An arrest has now been made in connection with the bombs. No further details at this time.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 10:03:58 am by Folly »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24612 on: October 26, 2018, 10:30:59 am »

Arrest was made in South Florida apparently. The USPS facility in Opa-locka had been a locus of FBI activity yesterday, and the package for Cory Booker was actually intercepted at the facility.

Gonna be interesting to see if this is someone literally "going postal".

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24613 on: October 26, 2018, 10:51:03 am »

South Florida, surprising absolutely no one.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 01:22:28 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24614 on: October 26, 2018, 11:00:03 am »

Florida Man tries to bomb liberal cucks, forgets to include detonators. Also puts "Get 'R Done" on bombs.

Seems legit.

Pages: 1 ... 1639 1640 [1641] 1642 1643 ... 3511