Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1645 1646 [1647] 1648 1649 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3532909 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #24690 on: October 27, 2018, 11:13:29 pm »

Jesus though, two right-wing terror attacks in the month leading up to Election day. Are we looking at a 15-point surge for the Republicans, or a 25-point surge for the Republicans?
"SCOTUS rules 5-4 in favor of #TeamTrump today that votes gained without strict photo ID are invalidated, bringing dozens of 'defeated' Republican candidates into the winner's table. The Democratic Party has released a statement urging their supporters to committed calm and civility in these divided times. Up next, the New York Times takes a deep dive into the life and times of newly appointed Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Richard Spencer, and his plan to bring America into the 21st century."
I absolutely believe you're going to see Kris Kobach and Brian Kemp make that sort of argument if they lose, especially if it's a narrow loss. And buoyed by a few high-profile instances, you may see a wave of Republican candidates refuse to concede under a spurious "cloud of voter fraud". How that shakes out may determine if there's even a point to having a 2020 election.

Trump is the highest profile Republican there is and he's already made allegations of voter fraud.

Not sure how it'd determine whether there is even a point to having 2020 election since conceding is really only a formality and has no legal effect. Roy Moore never did concede, I think he still hasn't.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24691 on: October 27, 2018, 11:26:46 pm »

In short, defining the Overton window is more useful than narrowing it to a single point.

I wasn't familiar with that, however it seems the term only took off in 2010 according to google trends.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24692 on: October 27, 2018, 11:38:14 pm »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24693 on: October 27, 2018, 11:48:33 pm »

Jesus though, two right-wing terror attacks in the month leading up to Election day. Are we looking at a 15-point surge for the Republicans, or a 25-point surge for the Republicans?
"SCOTUS rules 5-4 in favor of #TeamTrump today that votes gained without strict photo ID are invalidated, bringing dozens of 'defeated' Republican candidates into the winner's table. The Democratic Party has released a statement urging their supporters to committed calm and civility in these divided times. Up next, the New York Times takes a deep dive into the life and times of newly appointed Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Richard Spencer, and his plan to bring America into the 21st century."
I absolutely believe you're going to see Kris Kobach and Brian Kemp make that sort of argument if they lose, especially if it's a narrow loss. And buoyed by a few high-profile instances, you may see a wave of Republican candidates refuse to concede under a spurious "cloud of voter fraud". How that shakes out may determine if there's even a point to having a 2020 election.

Trump is the highest profile Republican there is and he's already made allegations of voter fraud.

Not sure how it'd determine whether there is even a point to having 2020 election since conceding is really only a formality and has no legal effect. Roy Moore never did concede, I think he still hasn't.
Remember that Kobach and Kemp will be in the position of certifying the results of the election. If they refuse to certify the results of their own losses, it creates a snafu in seating the winner. I'm honestly not sure if the state legislatures and/or governor's could override them, and if they do, it creates enough of a state Constitutional crisis that Conservatives could scream that the election is being "stolen".

I honestly cringe at what November 7 may bring, and that's even with the expectation of the Dems winning control of the House and a majority of Governorships.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24694 on: October 28, 2018, 12:02:47 am »

I get your point, however, didn’t Kobach (which got autocorrected to Kodachrome, lol) already recuse himself though? Edit: Actually, that was the primaries, don’t know if he did for the general.

Problems with voter machines are already cropping up, https://www.axios.com/votes-texas-georgia-changed-polls-election-security-midterms-2018-a70ea590-5e97-409c-922b-d74792a49e1c.html, which is just going to make the allegations of voter fraud more complicated.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 12:06:09 am by smjjames »

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #24695 on: October 28, 2018, 12:25:39 am »

Probably due to Glenn Beck's book of the same name.

“Beck has referred to the book as "faction" – fiction based on facts.”

1/10 crappy neologism. “Realistic fiction” may be better. And isn’t all fiction based partially in fact?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24696 on: October 28, 2018, 12:33:39 am »

It depends of the fiction really.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24697 on: October 28, 2018, 10:15:16 am »

Guys, I have the idea to fix America. What is our big problem right now? The average civility has gone down. So all we need to do is get more civil people in order to bring that average up.

Hence, it is obvious that the solution to Trump and the alt-right is to #AnnexCanada.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24698 on: October 28, 2018, 10:20:55 am »

So all we need to do is get more civil people in order to bring that average up.
You could also cull the uncivil.
Some simple, tamper-proof system would be needed. For example, each time somebody uses an ad hominem, the Civil Police tracks them down, breaks into their house, apologises for the inconvenience, and beats them to death with big sticks.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24699 on: October 28, 2018, 10:32:11 am »

That seems really inhumane. Instead the Civil Police should just take away their citizenship and deport them, perhaps to some sort of uncivility penal colony. Maybe to Antarctica?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24700 on: October 28, 2018, 10:39:56 am »

That seems really inhumane. Instead the Civil Police should just take away their citizenship and deport them, perhaps to some sort of uncivility penal colony. Maybe to Antarctica?

With global warming on the horizon, that might just work out!

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24701 on: October 28, 2018, 11:16:48 am »

[nevermind]
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 11:42:52 am by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #24702 on: October 28, 2018, 01:53:54 pm »

I'm curious, have any studies actually been done to determine the efficacy of a small number of armed guards at intervening in a mass shooting situation? I would think that the guards would be the first targeted by the shooter, and would likely be killed before they even realized what was happening.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24703 on: October 28, 2018, 02:03:51 pm »

That'd disrupt the Good Guy With A Gun narrative.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24704 on: October 28, 2018, 03:12:45 pm »

I'm curious, have any studies actually been done to determine the efficacy of a small number of armed guards at intervening in a mass shooting situation? I would think that the guards would be the first targeted by the shooter, and would likely be killed before they even realized what was happening.

None that I know of.
Pages: 1 ... 1645 1646 [1647] 1648 1649 ... 3511