Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1692 1693 [1694] 1695 1696 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3607066 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #25395 on: November 10, 2018, 12:46:03 am »

It's increasingly looking like Sinema will win, however, as things are still being counted, it could go either way.

Also, this is rich (from the previously linked article): "Republicans filed a lawsuit to halt a practice in two counties where officials were checking signatures on early mail ballots that did not match voter files. Arizona GOP chairman Jonathan Lines and Sen. Jon Kyl both accused Democrats of potentially disenfranchising rural voters because officials only in Maricopa County and Pima County — home to Tucson — were checking the signatures."

If they're going to complain about others using the same tactics they use, maybe they should stop doing it on their side? Yes, I know hypocrisy abounds, but hey, do onto others as you would have others do onto you....

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #25396 on: November 10, 2018, 01:18:08 am »

Wildfires in California keep getting worse.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25397 on: November 10, 2018, 04:17:51 am »

Wildfires in California keep getting worse.
People need to stop the hyper-vigilance about small fires which used to clear dead underbrush and whatnot away regularly, it's Smokey's fault basically. By tamping everything and letting dead material accumulate and dry and dry we've been doing a great job of producing ever more massive wildfires... that was the goal right?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25398 on: November 10, 2018, 04:42:52 am »

Well, I would say it is a perfect storm of the following things.

1) Hey, Nature is GREAT, and I am SILLY VALLEY RICH--- Let's build expensive housing in the middle of a forest!
2) No, picking up stuff out of the forest is bad for the wildlife and the ecology! Burning the wood in fireplaces contributes to SMOG! This is CALIFORNIA we are talking about here-- Smog is TEH EVULZ!
3) So um, Anthropogenic climate change is totally a thing, and like-- this area is getting more and more like Arizona by the decade. It's getting hotter and drier all the time. The aquifers are nearly dry from over exploitation from our agricultural activities, and shit is getting real yo.

With ever greater emphasis on item 3 as time goes on.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25399 on: November 10, 2018, 04:56:27 am »

It's because of the Australians and their cataclysmic exploding fire trees. It's all part of their secret terraforming project to make the rest of the world as dangerous as Australia, so that nothing will stand in the way of the Aussie supremacy!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25400 on: November 10, 2018, 05:06:10 am »

It's because of the Australians and their cataclysmic exploding fire trees. It's all part of their secret terraforming project to make the rest of the world as dangerous as Australia, so that nothing will stand in the way of the Aussie supremacy!
I sometimes suspect that you're secretly an aussie.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25401 on: November 10, 2018, 05:09:57 am »

Totally forgot the fucking aussie trees, and no, it has little to nothing to do with the climate for a simple reason: warmer climactic periods are LESS arid, sounds crazy but the reason we have large deserts now is because of all the water locked up in various ice caps. Just because the idea seems intuitively fine that hot=arid it doesn't matter if reality disagrees, same with the projections of increased storm intensity/frequency which somehow overlook that storms are driven by the magnitude of the local temperature differences from the equator to the pole, guess what goes down in a warmer planet?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25402 on: November 10, 2018, 05:29:51 am »

guess what goes down in a warmer planet?
The cold?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25403 on: November 10, 2018, 05:44:31 am »

Totally forgot the fucking aussie trees, and no, it has little to nothing to do with the climate for a simple reason: warmer climactic periods are LESS arid, sounds crazy but the reason we have large deserts now is because of all the water locked up in various ice caps. Just because the idea seems intuitively fine that hot=arid it doesn't matter if reality disagrees, same with the projections of increased storm intensity/frequency which somehow overlook that storms are driven by the magnitude of the local temperature differences from the equator to the pole, guess what goes down in a warmer planet?
[citations needed]

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25404 on: November 10, 2018, 05:47:37 am »

While true, it ignores the fact that California experiences specific weather patterns related to the jetstream current, as it interracts with the nearby Rocky mountains. 

Climate is totally being impacted.

(soft article)
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/08/140812-california-climate-change-global-warming-science/

(old paper)
https://web.wpi.edu/Pubs/E-project/Available/E-project-042308-145132/unrestricted/IQPTCC07RyanNickKyle.pdf

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #25405 on: November 10, 2018, 07:54:52 am »

Totally forgot the fucking aussie trees,
[citations needed]

Lol u don't believe in exploding Aussie trees?
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25406 on: November 10, 2018, 08:15:09 am »

If I remember correctly, though, communism isn't common ownership of everything.  It's just common ownership of means of production.  Communism doesn't say that you have to share your house or clothing equally with everyone.  Essentially the core of communism is that the entire population benefits directly from the profit from production, rather than just a small number of "owners".

This is where the idea of UBI tax originates.  Basically you just earmark a portion of corporate profit tax for direct redistribution to everyone in the covered jurisdiction.

According to https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/corporate-profits US corporate profits are something like $2000 billion a quarter.  That's a ridiculous amount of money - about $6000 per capita in the country, per quarter (it's actually way more than I assumed!).

A guy can dream:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25407 on: November 10, 2018, 08:26:02 am »

Totally forgot the fucking aussie trees,
[citations needed]
Lol u don't believe in exploding Aussie trees?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25408 on: November 10, 2018, 09:51:21 am »

If I remember correctly, though, communism isn't common ownership of everything.  It's just common ownership of means of production.  Communism doesn't say that you have to share your house or clothing equally with everyone.  Essentially the core of communism is that the entire population benefits directly from the profit from production, rather than just a small number of "owners".

No, I refuse to believe it. If we get communism then nobody's shoes will fit, because everyone will share the same pair of shoes. And you'll go to work with ill-fitting shoes if you're lucky that it's your turn for the shoes.*

* About average for the idiotic strawman critiques of Communist ideas that get spread around earnestly.

In fact, and this is a radical idea, you can actually apply the idea of "common ownership" to some things without having to apply it to all things, or magically forgetting how to do simple things, such as paying people a wage for hours worked for the commonly-owned enterprise.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 09:57:58 am by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25409 on: November 10, 2018, 09:56:43 am »

No, I refuse to believe it. If we get communism then nobody's shoes will fit, because everyone will share the same pair of shoes. And you'll go to work with ill-fitting shoes if you're lucky that it's your turn for the shoes.*

* About average for the idiotic strawman critiques of Communist ideas that get spread around earnestly.

In fact, and this is a radical idea, you can actually apply the idea of "common ownership" to some things without having to apply it to all things, or magically becoming moronic and forgetting basic common sense about how to organize things.
Simply call it "public ownership" and people will agree
Pages: 1 ... 1692 1693 [1694] 1695 1696 ... 3515